More pears

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Any favorite pear recipes out there? I'm going to make the cobbler again but I still have 5-6 lbs of pears left. I don't think I'm really good at anything that requires pear halves that look good, tho. Maybe if I could put them cut side down. The pears are sweet. Very tasty for 'feral' pears!

I do what I call "Poached Pears". A half pear for each guest. Cut pear in half lengthwise, use a melon ball-er to scoop out the seeds and core and then peel. Place cut side down in an oven proof dish. For each pear mix 1 tbl of softened butter and one tbl bown sugar. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on the pear and drop 1/2 of butter mixture on pear. It will not spread but don't worry, it will melt as it is cooking and almost caramelizes while baking. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Scoop pear onto a plate and pour juices from dish over pear. Serve with a scoop of yogurt on the side. Everyone loves this dish.

I do what I call "Poached Pears". A half pear for each guest. Cut pear in half lengthwise, use a melon ball-er to scoop out the seeds and core and then peel. Place cut side down in an oven proof dish. For each pear mix 1 tbl of softened butter and one tbl bown sugar. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on the pear and drop 1/2 of butter mixture on pear. It will not spread but don't worry, it will melt as it is cooking and almost caramelizes while baking. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Scoop pear onto a plate and pour juices from dish over pear. Serve with a scoop of yogurt on the side. Everyone loves this dish..
that sounds so yummy and easy!! thanks!

I do what I call "Poached Pears". A half pear for each guest. Cut pear in half lengthwise, use a melon ball-er to scoop out the seeds and core and then peel. Place cut side down in an oven proof dish. For each pear mix 1 tbl of softened butter and one tbl bown sugar. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on the pear and drop 1/2 of butter mixture on pear. It will not spread but don't worry, it will melt as it is cooking and almost caramelizes while baking. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Scoop pear onto a plate and pour juices from dish over pear. Serve with a scoop of yogurt on the side. Everyone loves this dish..
JeannineIrish said:
I do what I call "Poached Pears". A half pear for each guest. Cut pear in half lengthwise, use a melon ball-er to scoop out the seeds and core and then peel. Place cut side down in an oven proof dish. For each pear mix 1 tbl of softened butter and one tbl bown sugar. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on the pear and drop 1/2 of butter mixture on pear. It will not spread but don't worry, it will melt as it is cooking and almost caramelizes while baking. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Scoop pear onto a plate and pour juices from dish over pear. Serve with a scoop of yogurt on the side. Everyone loves this dish.
How well does this hold? I'll have people eating from 8-9:30.

Thank you for this thread! I came on tonight specifically looking for pear recipes to use the pears dh brought home from work for breakfast tomorrow.
=)
Kk.

Bree - is that any kind of yogurt on the side? greek style or regular?

JeannineIrish said:
Do you have to peel them first?

JeannineIrish said:
How well does this hold? I'll have people eating from 8-9:30.
I cook them in separate dishes putting them in the oven about 30 minutes before they have told me they want breakfast. If you don't know what time people are coming down I suppose you could cook all of them most of the way and then pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm and finish cooking.

JeannineIrish said:
II would think they would be too hard to peel after they were cooked. If that's the question you are asking ??????

Mmm... baked pears sounds amazing!
I've also had really good wine-poached pears. Lemme see if I can find a recipe.
I'm sure these are malleable, and I've seen it done in a slow cooker if that suits your fancy and saves a burner.
POACHED PEARS IN RED WINE
1 750-ml bottle dry red wine
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
6 2x1-inch strips lemon peel (yellow part only)
1 1/2 teaspoons aniseed
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
6 firm but ripe Bosc pears
1 1/2 cups nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
Preparation
Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy large pot. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Peel, halve and core pears. Add pears, rounded side down, to cooking liquid. Return cooking liquid to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until pears are tender, basting occasionally with cooking liquid if necessary, about 25 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pears to bowl.
Strain cooking liquid; discard solids. Return cooking liquid to pot. Boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 12 minutes. Pour syrup over pears. Chill until pears are cold, at least 3 hours or overnight. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Scoop frozen yogurt onto plates. Place pears on plates. Spoon sauce over pears.

PEARS POACHED IN PORT WITH CRANBERRIES
(good for Thanksgiving season!)
8 whole allspice
1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
1 (4- by 1-inch) strip of zest from a navel orange, removed with a vegetable peeler
3 cups cranberry juice cocktail
2 cups Tawny Port
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
4 firm-ripe Bosc or Anjou pears with stems
Special equipment: an 8-inch square of cheesecloth
Preparation
Tie allspice and peppercorns in a cheesecloth bag with kitchen string. Put bag in a large saucepan with remaining ingredients except pears and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Peel pears, leaving stems intact, and arrange on sides in poaching liquid. Simmer, uncovered, gently turning from time to time, until tender, 20 to 40 minutes depending on ripeness.
Discard cheesecloth bag and carefully transfer pears with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Boil poaching liquid until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Discard ginger, cinnamon stick, and zest. Serve pears warm or at room temperature with syrup.

Bree - is that any kind of yogurt on the side? greek style or regular?.
What's the difference between Greek and regular yougurt. I found that sometimes vanilla yogurt can be too sweet because you have the brown sugan and butter sauce so I use whole milk plain yogurt.

I'm sure these are malleable, and I've seen it done in a slow cooker if that suits your fancy and saves a burner.
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons aniseed
Preparation
Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy large pot. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Peel, halve and core pears. Add pears, rounded side down, to cooking liquid. Return cooking liquid to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until pears are tender, basting occasionally with cooking liquid if necessary, about 25 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pears to bowl.
Strain cooking liquid; discard solids. Return cooking liquid to pot. Boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 12 minutes. Pour syrup over pears. Chill until pears are cold, at least 3 hours or overnight. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

8 whole allspice
1 (4- by 1-inch) strip of zest from a navel orange, removed with a vegetable peeler
2 cups Tawny Port
1/2 cup sugar
Preparation
Tie allspice and peppercorns in a cheesecloth bag with kitchen string. Put bag in a large saucepan with remaining ingredients except pears and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Peel pears, leaving stems intact, and arrange on sides in poaching liquid. Simmer, uncovered, gently turning from time to time, until tender, 20 to 40 minutes depending on ripeness.
Discard cheesecloth bag and carefully transfer pears with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Boil poaching liquid until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Discard ginger, cinnamon stick, and zest. Serve pears warm or at room temperature with syrup..
These recipes sound great but appear to be a lot of work first thing in the morning unless you can make them the day before. The would be wonderful as a dessert. I'm all for easy fruit preparation in the morning.
Baked apples I prepare the night before, regfrigerate and then bake in the morning.

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons aniseed
Preparation

8 whole allspice
2 cups Tawny Port
1/2 cup sugar
Preparation
Discard cheesecloth bag and carefully transfer pears with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Boil poaching liquid until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Discard ginger, cinnamon stick, and zest. Serve pears warm or at room temperature with syrup..
These recipes sound great but appear to be a lot of work first thing in the morning unless you can make them the day before. The would be wonderful as a dessert. I'm all for easy fruit preparation in the morning.
Baked apples I prepare the night before, regfrigerate and then bake in the morning.
Agreed on minimizing morning stress.
The first one said to prepare the day before and serve chilled--I think it absorbs more flavor that way anyway. I'm sure the second one could be done that way, as well.
I might try this in the slow cooker on low overnight, since I'd like them warm this time of year. Just combine ingredients, tie up the herbs in a cheesecloth or teabag, take the lid off and turn to high while making breakfast to reduce, and then pull them out when ready to serve.
I think the most time-consuming part would be peeling the pears.

JeannineIrish said:
II would think they would be too hard to peel after they were cooked. If that's the question you are asking ??????
JeannineIrish said:
Yes, but I was thinking you peeled them before cooking? I have not seen skin on them in the bon appetite mag's etc, just wondering if it gives it a base to scoop from, or really doesn't make a difference.

JeannineIrish said:
JeannineIrish said:
Yes, but I was thinking you peeled them before cooking? I have not seen skin on them in the bon appetite mag's etc, just wondering if it gives it a base to scoop from, or really doesn't make a difference.
Yes, I'd say peel first, unless you're intending to serve with the peels on.
I made the poached pears this morning (peel and core, sprinkle with nutmeg, top with butter and brown sugar, bake 30 min) and the guests raved about them. Easy, elegant, and tasty. After they baked it would be too difficult to remove the skins. Mine are so ripe I can pull the skin off with a knife.
=)
Kk.

JeannineIrish said:
JeannineIrish said:
I made the poached pears this morning (peel and core, sprinkle with nutmeg, top with butter and brown sugar, bake 30 min) and the guests raved about them. Easy, elegant, and tasty. After they baked it would be too difficult to remove the skins. Mine are so ripe I can pull the skin off with a knife.
=)
Kk.
I have made these with the peel on..but it sometimes makes it tough for guests trying to cut through the skin. So it is better to peel them.

Poached Pears with Cranberries
3 pears,peeled, halved & cored
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter,melted
1 cup cranberries, cut in half
2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Put pears fairly close together in the dish, cut side down. Combine marmalade, sugar, salt, butter, cranberries, orange juice concentrate and water; pour over pears.
Bake pears, uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until pears are tender enough to cut with a fork, but not mushy. Put pears round-side down in individual serving bowls. Put 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream into the hole of each pear. Pour a little sauce mixture over each pear and serve.

JeannineIrish said:
JeannineIrish said:
=)
Kk.
I have made these with the peel on..but it sometimes makes it tough for guests trying to cut through the skin. So it is better to peel them.
catlady said:
Plus the peels on mine are ugly. Probably feral pears like Bree's...
=)
Kk.

Bree - is that any kind of yogurt on the side? greek style or regular?.
What's the difference between Greek and regular yougurt. I found that sometimes vanilla yogurt can be too sweet because you have the brown sugan and butter sauce so I use whole milk plain yogurt.
Greek yogurt is thicker - and plain. I like to have greek yogurt with walnuts and honey for dessert.

Back