More than just gas: 13 items that cost more or will soon

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Just a reminder, look at this list and see how many of these items are frequently used by us as innkeepers. THIS is why we really can't afford to discount and shouldn't be expected to.
Article here.

How about we just say "EVERYTHING"
wow.gif

You can still discount because discounts are in the eye of the beholder.
Costs are going up for our guests too, so they're looking for a bargain. Our rates should be set high enough that we can offer discounts without affecting our bottom line. Potential customers only need to perceive a good deal to think they're getting one.

Costs are going up for our guests too, so they're looking for a bargain. Our rates should be set high enough that we can offer discounts without affecting our bottom line. Potential customers only need to perceive a good deal to think they're getting one..
Good point...

Costs are going up for our guests too, so they're looking for a bargain. Our rates should be set high enough that we can offer discounts without affecting our bottom line. Potential customers only need to perceive a good deal to think they're getting one..
The problem with setting the rates high enough to give discounts without hurting the bottom line is that guests who are not 'bargainers' move on to a place with lower starting rates if they can't perceive the added value just by looking at the website.
We've really got to be able to sell fast on our websites. Hit the sweet spot with the viewer right off the bat. Let them talk themselves into needing to stay with us because something hit them the right way. If we don't do that, we get bargainers. They can't convince themselves that it's a good deal as is, they need to have something given to them.

The problem with setting the rates high enough to give discounts without hurting the bottom line is that guests who are not 'bargainers' move on to a place with lower starting rates if they can't perceive the added value just by looking at the website.
We've really got to be able to sell fast on our websites. Hit the sweet spot with the viewer right off the bat. Let them talk themselves into needing to stay with us because something hit them the right way. If we don't do that, we get bargainers. They can't convince themselves that it's a good deal as is, they need to have something given to them.
Ooh, another great point! It is very tricky.

Don Draper said:
Didn't mean to get so philosophical so early in the morning!

I get discount requests all the time. Here's my take on it....
I don't do discount requests. They are too easy to make and they just aren't fair to those who don't request. My price is my price and if you don't like it, I'm sure someone else will book the room and enjoy the experience.
When we do discounts they are more tactical and they are in my booking system. I will lower some nights when I want them booked or I want someone to book room A over room B if they are offered the choice. Everyone has an equal chance at them.
We don't discount in the summer, there is no point, I'm over 95% occupancy, it's just lowering my income for no reason.
When we do discount, it's always done for our advantage, not for theirs. If I really need to discount to fill my rooms, it's time to lower my price, not give special deals that if another customer hears about, would make them angry that they paid more.

Don Draper said:
Didn't mean to get so philosophical so early in the morning!
I love it!

I don't do discount requests. They are too easy to make and they just aren't fair to those who don't request. My price is my price and if you don't like it, I'm sure someone else will book the room and enjoy the experience.
When we do discounts they are more tactical and they are in my booking system. I will lower some nights when I want them booked or I want someone to book room A over room B if they are offered the choice. Everyone has an equal chance at them.
We don't discount in the summer, there is no point, I'm over 95% occupancy, it's just lowering my income for no reason.
When we do discount, it's always done for our advantage, not for theirs. If I really need to discount to fill my rooms, it's time to lower my price, not give special deals that if another customer hears about, would make them angry that they paid more.
Over 95% occ you could raise your rates with little impact. I'd like to say that I would love occ rates like that, but I wouldn't. That's just too much work for 2 people. What I would like are higher off season occ rates to balance out the possibility of a bad peak season.

Here here Eric. I am with you on this one and have always had that same opinion. It is my business and I call the shots when I want to. The ONLY discount I gave was military.

Here here Eric. I am with you on this one and have always had that same opinion. It is my business and I call the shots when I want to. The ONLY discount I gave was military.
catlady said:
I had an email yesterday from Tasmania. Wanting to stay one night, you know I give the $10 online discount to book online. He emailed to ask about senior rates. Coming all the way around the world and dickering and wanting more than $10. Sure we have a senior rate, it is $3 off per night. :)

catlady said:
I had an email yesterday from Tasmania. Wanting to stay one night, you know I give the $10 online discount to book online. He emailed to ask about senior rates. Coming all the way around the world and dickering and wanting more than $10. Sure we have a senior rate, it is $3 off per night. :)
This is my new way of answering those kinds of questions "While we cannot offer individual discounts, we do offer everyone who books directly through our website a $10/night discount".
I don't care if you're senior, military, AAA, blah, blah, blah. We'd be discounting everyone if we did this, so this is how we do it.

catlady said:
This is my new way of answering those kinds of questions "While we cannot offer individual discounts, we do offer everyone who books directly through our website a $10/night discount".
I don't care if you're senior, military, AAA, blah, blah, blah. We'd be discounting everyone if we did this, so this is how we do it.
Okay, someone please explain to me the AAA/CAA discount thing....
You own a car, you overpay them an annual insurance fee for towing your car, except of course you hardly ever need your car towed and when you do they either charge you because the insurance company will pay you back, or they aren't available because everyone else needs to be towed and they give you a sixteen hour window of when they will come. And you want me to offer a discount because of that?
And as for the senior discount.... it's nice that you are a old, but I don't see why I should subsidize your retirement, especially considering that your social security is likely going to bankrupt the fund and there won't be anything left for me, when I need it.

Over 95% occ you could raise your rates with little impact. I'd like to say that I would love occ rates like that, but I wouldn't. That's just too much work for 2 people. What I would like are higher off season occ rates to balance out the possibility of a bad peak season.
I could and sometimes I do, but I work hard to get those occupancy rates. And I need the wiggle room later to discount orphan nights. I need the summer to pay for the long cold winter in Canada.
Too much for two people? I do most of it myself, with a weekly housekeeper and a weekend helper (ie my other half.) I thought that I was overworked by half... apparently now I know I'm overworked by double.

catlady said:
You own a car, you overpay them an annual insurance fee for towing your car, except of course you hardly ever need your car towed and when you do they either charge you because the insurance company will pay you back, or they aren't available because everyone else needs to be towed and they give you a sixteen hour window of when they will come. And you want me to offer a discount because of that?
And as for the senior discount.... it's nice that you are a old, but I don't see why I should subsidize your retirement, especially considering that your social security is likely going to bankrupt the fund and there won't be anything left for me, when I need it.
You are not required to offer a discount if you are just listed in the book (either country). You are required to give a discount (amazingly) if you pay AAA/CAA to display their logo on your signage/website. If you pay, you get the better description in the book and on the website.
I don't pay them to display their logo and every once in awhile I have to explain how it works to someone with the book in hand who has not read the fine print. I once had a caller yell at me that she was 'turning you in' to AAA because my rates were higher than posted in the book. (You do have to charge AAA members the rates posted in the newest book unless it is a holiday or other significant event.)
It's always a struggle with the range. Someone calls in August, I have one room left, I am quoting them $180 on the phone (in the book my high rate is $220) and they are arguing with me that the rate in the book is $120. LOW end rate is $120. I am not charging the high end rate but they are still upset they are not getting the winter rate for the non-ensuite room when they are trying to book the premium room in high peak season. Give me strength.
No one every asks how come I'm not charging them $220.
Worst of all are the folks who cannot read across the page and dial my number looking for Motel 6. They ALL want the $59 room!

I could and sometimes I do, but I work hard to get those occupancy rates. And I need the wiggle room later to discount orphan nights. I need the summer to pay for the long cold winter in Canada.
Too much for two people? I do most of it myself, with a weekly housekeeper and a weekend helper (ie my other half.) I thought that I was overworked by half... apparently now I know I'm overworked by double.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You do all of that with just a housekeeper? And PT help on the weekend? At 95% occ? I would be a madwoman. We did it one summer and I hated everyone. 2 of us going non-stop for 16 hours/day. And that was at 75% occ. I was ironing sheets at 11 PM. Spouse was up at 5 AM prepping breakfast. Laundry was running 8 hours/day.
Nope. Not for me. Even with a housekeeper 4 hours/day/5 days/week I am still running all day. All of the restaurant folks around here say goodbye to us in June. They know they'll see us again in November.
Winters are long here in New England as well...anything I make from July-Oct has to pay the bills the rest of the year. Which is why I'd like to see an uptick in the slow season's reservations. So the summer isn't so fraught.

catlady said:
You are not required to offer a discount if you are just listed in the book (either country). You are required to give a discount (amazingly) if you pay AAA/CAA to display their logo on your signage/website. If you pay, you get the better description in the book and on the website.
I don't pay them to display their logo and every once in awhile I have to explain how it works to someone with the book in hand who has not read the fine print. I once had a caller yell at me that she was 'turning you in' to AAA because my rates were higher than posted in the book. (You do have to charge AAA members the rates posted in the newest book unless it is a holiday or other significant event.)
It's always a struggle with the range. Someone calls in August, I have one room left, I am quoting them $180 on the phone (in the book my high rate is $220) and they are arguing with me that the rate in the book is $120. LOW end rate is $120. I am not charging the high end rate but they are still upset they are not getting the winter rate for the non-ensuite room when they are trying to book the premium room in high peak season. Give me strength.
Worst of all are the folks who cannot read across the page and dial my number looking for Motel 6. They ALL want the $59 room!
Does it bring in a significant amount of business at a time when you aren't fully booked? I don't know if I would want the hassle, considering that some pleeb might write in a T/A review because they can't read. And I really don't see the point to giving them a discount because they don't know any better than to pay for a tow when they need it or could get it for half the price from their mobile company or another service.

catlady said:
Does it bring in a significant amount of business at a time when you aren't fully booked? I don't know if I would want the hassle, considering that some pleeb might write in a T/A review because they can't read. And I really don't see the point to giving them a discount because they don't know any better than to pay for a tow when they need it or could get it for half the price from their mobile company or another service.
Remember- I'm not fully booked at any time. Right now I've got about 5% of my guests saying they found me in the book. That goes up considerably in the summer. Because we don't pay to be listed, but we are inspected, I can decline to offer a discount no harm, no foul. In the summer that's what I do. In the off season, sure, discount away.

Back