more than normal cancellations?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I like them to book on line because they have to read the rules and check they read them."
I agree, that way, if they check that little box, they can't say "we didn't know" or "noone told us" we have a 14 day cancellation policy. when someone calls to reserve & they are within the window we point out to them that they are in the window so once the reservation is made the deposit is non refundable.
i had a lady call, a few weeks ago,on a Friday, to make a reservation of 2 nights. she would be checking in the next afternoon.she was just from a few towns away and was quite pleasant on the phone. she talked about how her son was going to be opening a small breakfast only restaurant in this area this spring.
about 5 hours later she calls to say that she will need to be canceling because she just remembered that she has an appointment in Boston on Monday for brain surgery, because she has cancer. I told her we would be happy to issue her a gift certificate in the amount of her deposit, that she could use toward a future stay. She freaked out & started yelling "But don't you understand that i am going to die on Monday!? How am i supposed to use a gift certificate in the future since i'm going to die on Monday!?"
I thought, my gosh this can't be the same lady i spoke with a few hours ago! she was so upset, i just said don't worry about it, we'll refund your deposit & best of luck to you. then i hung up.i don't know if she really was due to have surgery or not but...either way, how could you forget you had brain surgery scheduled??.
mollysmom said:
i had a lady call, a few weeks ago,on a Friday, to make a reservation of 2 nights. she would be checking in the next afternoon.she was just from a few towns away and was quite pleasant on the phone. ......about 5 hours later she calls to say that she will need to be canceling because she just remembered that she has an appointment in Boston on Monday for brain surgery, because she has cancer. I told her we would be happy to issue her a gift certificate in the amount of her deposit, that she could use toward a future stay. She freaked out & started yelling "But don't you understand that i am going to die on Monday!? How am i supposed to use a gift certificate in the future since i'm going to die on Monday!?"
Laughing my
potty-mouth.gif
off. I think you have won the prize for the most far fetched cancel call!!!! I think I would have had to fight back the urge to say that the refund would not hit her account until Tuesday.

On original topic - We have not had any cancelations for this weekend but did experience a different trend this year...More last minute bookings - MOST of my V-day weekend bookings came in this week, but my large rooms did sell out 1st. This week were the penny pinchers. I do not have a 2 night min. except for event/holiday weekends, but did not put in place this year. Good thing or I most likely would be empty. Some chose to celebrate tonight rather than tomorrow so I am almost full for both nights (1 open) - my back will be killing me come Sunday afternoon! I did get a couple of rooms to do a package so a little extra $ will ease the pain.
RE: the hijacked topic regarding cancellation policies, deposits and refunds:
I have a 14 day cancellation policy (different for mid week bus travel) which seems to work for me. Did that from day one and really do not have problems with it. I figure if they cancel by that time I have a fairly good time frame to rebook the room, within that window, it becomes more difficult. (May be different this year). For regular stays, I do not take a deposit (1 night stay) UNTIL the date of cancellation. This way I do not have refunds for the most part. If they cancel after the cancel by date and I am able to rent the room for the entire period reserved, I do provide a refund of the depoist minus a $25 charge. (Not refunded until after the reserved date has passed.) For group bookings my cancel by date is 30 days prior and total for entire stay is due on that date - period.
I have been toying with a policy addition but have not implemented it as yet...'cancellations made within 48 hours of arrival are responsible for their entire stay'. It is not that I have this happen very often but if it does happen, I could be out of several days rent. Do any of you have this?.
Copperhead,
What you are saying is that reg guests (non groups) pay for the 1 night or 50% for 4 nights or more they only lose the dp and not the entire amount. My policy, you lose the total amount of the entire reservation if you cancel less than the 7 days. Most of my weekends are a 2 night min and major holidays are 3. Generally if I cancel a room and I am able to rebookit and I am full, then I may send out GC but I don't tell them that up front.
Landmark said:
Copperhead,
What you are saying is that reg guests (non groups) pay for the 1 night or 50% for 4 nights or more they only lose the dp and not the entire amount.
NO I am not saying that at all. Re read my post.. I had nothing about 50% in my post. And I was not commenting on your post.

On original topic - We have not had any cancelations for this weekend but did experience a different trend this year...More last minute bookings - MOST of my V-day weekend bookings came in this week, but my large rooms did sell out 1st. This week were the penny pinchers. I do not have a 2 night min. except for event/holiday weekends, but did not put in place this year. Good thing or I most likely would be empty. Some chose to celebrate tonight rather than tomorrow so I am almost full for both nights (1 open) - my back will be killing me come Sunday afternoon! I did get a couple of rooms to do a package so a little extra $ will ease the pain.
I have a 14 day cancellation policy (different for mid week bus travel) which seems to work for me. Did that from day one and really do not have problems with it. I figure if they cancel by that time I have a fairly good time frame to rebook the room, within that window, it becomes more difficult. (May be different this year). For regular stays, I do not take a deposit (1 night stay) UNTIL the date of cancellation. This way I do not have refunds for the most part. If they cancel after the cancel by date and I am able to rent the room for the entire period reserved, I do provide a refund of the depoist minus a $25 charge. (Not refunded until after the reserved date has passed.) For group bookings my cancel by date is 30 days prior and total for entire stay is due on that date - period.
I have been toying with a policy addition but have not implemented it as yet...'cancellations made within 48 hours of arrival are responsible for their entire stay'. It is not that I have this happen very often but if it does happen, I could be out of several days rent. Do any of you have this?.
We also have done 14 day cancellation policy since day one with a 30 day for holidays. We charge 100% of the stay if we can't rebook it. We do however give a rain check. BUT, if it is a weekend stay, we give a weekday rain check. They gotta pay something if we did not rebook it, and it is you lose your weekend.
And yea, the penny pinchers are killing me. I mean they are better than nothing if you are empty, but lots of one nighters. The stores at christmas selling lots at 70% off started it and now everybody has a economic turndown special, so people are looking for a deal, even if they don't "need" it.

Copperhead,
What you are saying is that reg guests (non groups) pay for the 1 night or 50% for 4 nights or more they only lose the dp and not the entire amount. My policy, you lose the total amount of the entire reservation if you cancel less than the 7 days. Most of my weekends are a 2 night min and major holidays are 3. Generally if I cancel a room and I am able to rebookit and I am full, then I may send out GC but I don't tell them that up front.
Landmark said:
Copperhead,
What you are saying is that reg guests (non groups) pay for the 1 night or 50% for 4 nights or more they only lose the dp and not the entire amount.
NO I am not saying that at all. Re read my post.. I had nothing about 50% in my post. And I was not commenting on your post.
I got part of another post in my brain, my bad

When taking a reservation and in the confirmation letter AND in my brochure I state that any reservation cancelled less than 48 hours prior to expected arrival will be charged a FULL reservation plus tax. The only exception I have made to that is for horses in the winter since the weather can be a total factor. I have told 2 of my horse reservations this year that if the weather (and gave it to them in an e-mail and requested a return e-mail with acceptance of this) creates a problem that they decide not to stay, I will post the full stable fee to their credit card and that is all. They both accepted that as being fair. I do not want to lose the stable because of a cancel. Normal cancelation policy with horses states the full charge AND stable fees.

We also have done 14 day cancellation policy since day one with a 30 day for holidays. We charge 100% of the stay if we can't rebook it. We do however give a rain check. BUT, if it is a weekend stay, we give a weekday rain check. They gotta pay something if we did not rebook it, and it is you lose your weekend.
And yea, the penny pinchers are killing me. I mean they are better than nothing if you are empty, but lots of one nighters. The stores at christmas selling lots at 70% off started it and now everybody has a economic turndown special, so people are looking for a deal, even if they don't "need" it.
swilson said:
Welcome to the forum SWilson! There is plenty of activity here so we hope you can join in on all of it. Great people here with all sorts of experience(s) and viewpoints. Best of all you will get an honest answer or feedback, which is invaluable.
wink_smile.gif

swilson said:
Welcome to the forum SWilson! There is plenty of activity here so we hope you can join in on all of it. Great people here with all sorts of experience(s) and viewpoints. Best of all you will get an honest answer or feedback, which is invaluable.
wink_smile.gif

Thanks Juniebjones, I've already learned a few things from the folks here in just one day. Nice to find others who are in the same boat (hopefully not sinking)with me.

swilson said:
wink_smile.gif

Thanks Juniebjones, I've already learned a few things from the folks here in just one day. Nice to find others who are in the same boat (hopefully not sinking)with me.
swilson said:
Here is one of my own quotes "[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Opening an inn is like skydiving and hoping your chute will open"
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
[/FONT]

swilson said:
wink_smile.gif

swilson said:
Here is one of my own quotes "[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Opening an inn is like skydiving and hoping your chute will open"
[/FONT]
[/quote]
[/FONT]
[/quote]
Here's my quote:
Your mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open

"I like them to book on line because they have to read the rules and check they read them."
I agree, that way, if they check that little box, they can't say "we didn't know" or "noone told us" we have a 14 day cancellation policy. when someone calls to reserve & they are within the window we point out to them that they are in the window so once the reservation is made the deposit is non refundable.
i had a lady call, a few weeks ago,on a Friday, to make a reservation of 2 nights. she would be checking in the next afternoon.she was just from a few towns away and was quite pleasant on the phone. she talked about how her son was going to be opening a small breakfast only restaurant in this area this spring.
about 5 hours later she calls to say that she will need to be canceling because she just remembered that she has an appointment in Boston on Monday for brain surgery, because she has cancer. I told her we would be happy to issue her a gift certificate in the amount of her deposit, that she could use toward a future stay. She freaked out & started yelling "But don't you understand that i am going to die on Monday!? How am i supposed to use a gift certificate in the future since i'm going to die on Monday!?"
I thought, my gosh this can't be the same lady i spoke with a few hours ago! she was so upset, i just said don't worry about it, we'll refund your deposit & best of luck to you. then i hung up.i don't know if she really was due to have surgery or not but...either way, how could you forget you had brain surgery scheduled??.
mollysmom said:
i had a lady call, a few weeks ago,on a Friday, to make a reservation of 2 nights. she would be checking in the next afternoon.she was just from a few towns away and was quite pleasant on the phone. ......about 5 hours later she calls to say that she will need to be canceling because she just remembered that she has an appointment in Boston on Monday for brain surgery, because she has cancer. I told her we would be happy to issue her a gift certificate in the amount of her deposit, that she could use toward a future stay. She freaked out & started yelling "But don't you understand that i am going to die on Monday!? How am i supposed to use a gift certificate in the future since i'm going to die on Monday!?"
Laughing my
potty-mouth.gif
off. I think you have won the prize for the most far fetched cancel call!!!! I think I would have had to fight back the urge to say that the refund would not hit her account until Tuesday.
I think my comment would have been "why then have the surgery" if your gonna die..

I charge 1 night or 20% upfront and let them know this, I like guests that are sure there staying here. I have a 14 day cancel out period,otherwise I chgarge the entire amount, On vacation rentals its 45 days notice to me.

A good many of our reservations are military related and the government cancels their training, so I don't penalize the guest. Anyone else work with government related stays? will goverment pay cancelllation fee?

A good many of our reservations are military related and the government cancels their training, so I don't penalize the guest. Anyone else work with government related stays? will goverment pay cancelllation fee?.
I think they would pay if it is last minute cancels only, like within 24 hrs, otherwise the employee would be out the cash. Of the 100's (more like 1000+) of government stays I have had I have only had ONE bad experience.
I think this is a repeat on this forum but anyway - Gov. travel agent. had made the reservation. He came in, I gave him the check in spiele and showed him to his room. Note that with government, I usually charge their card the last night of their stay in case they are called back. (weekdays only) Anyway, about 5 minutes later he left to 'meet up' with some buddies. NEVER returned, no call until late in the evening when he called to say he was staying with his buddy instead. The card was charged. The a few weeks later, his travel agent called asking for a credit because his travel plans had been canceled. I said no they had not. Several calls transpired with several different people all with different lies and the last call after I repeated all the previous stories as well as what had actually happened, the calls stopped. I think they thought that it was like a hotel and that there was no tracking being done and that a manager would finally give in and I did not. I am sure he had to pay out of pocket for one of the 2 places. Only bad experience I have had with a military personnel and the only time I have ever been disapointed in one.

It's odd here, we've only been open for a year and a half. We had a cancellation but there were many last minute calls - on Friday even for Saturday and Sunday so we rebooked and refilled and only lost the Friday night which our one night cancellation fee covered.
Riki

You misunderstood, she was only planning on opening the place for one breakfast, then lay down and die.

Back