More Travelers Have Guilt about Leaving Their Pet than Their Kid

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horrible to say, but...a family member was just in a HUGE tournament out of state. One parent went to see this monumental achievement. Why only one? They couldn't take the dog. They refused to leave the dog home during a family event where one member of the extended family has severe pet allergies. They said they'd rather not come. Or, 'I'd rather leave my kids home than the dog.'
I am saddened by this.

Horrible to say, but...a family member was just in a HUGE tournament out of state. One parent went to see this monumental achievement. Why only one? They couldn't take the dog. They refused to leave the dog home during a family event where one member of the extended family has severe pet allergies. They said they'd rather not come. Or, 'I'd rather leave my kids home than the dog.'
I am saddened by this..
I love my animals, but that's ridiculous!

its why we have rabbits - they are like cats they don't give a monkeys who you are as long as they get fed!

I hate to admit it but one big reason I don't travel now is my cat. At 19 he can't go with us and he's getting so feeble, I hate taking advantage of my friends who usually babysit him. So one day he won't be with us and then we can leave without me ...and only me..worrying about him. :)

I am not surprised. People spend more (and more willingly) on their pets than on their kids. My daughter's dogs eat better than I do! But her dogs ARE her kids. Am pleased to be able to say that those that have kids do rate the kids above the pets.
Of course it is sometimes a case of kids have memories and dumped the parents so the parents lavish on the non-judgmental pets or on the other hand, the parents have been given the shaft by the kids and prefer the company of the animals to their kids. (Maddie, not a reference to your comment in any way. And yes, in every case - it is sad.)

Scottish Travellers, a broad term referring to indigenous Highland Traveller's Ceàrdannan or other groups including Gypsy/Traveller's of Romani descent or Showmen in Scotland.-FXDD Reviews

That is why we allow dogs in 2 of 5 rooms. For some travelers it is very important.

We all need someone to love.
Many people have been hurt so bad by humans and can only find that affection and unconditional love in their pet. I totally understand that. It is also nice to have someone (pet) depend on you, and be happy to see you, joyful in fact, every time you leave and come back!
If I had a choice I would have a dog-park B&B (on acreage), but see that eliminates most of the foo foo dogs wearing tiaras, as they aren't really the outdoorsy types, and I would like the active all sized dogs who enjoy being around other dogs, to stay here. The ones with the big cheeky grins and tails wagging hard.

Many people have been hurt so bad by humans and can only find that affection and unconditional love in their pet. I totally understand that. It is also nice to have someone (pet) depend on you, and be happy to see you, joyful in fact, every time you leave and come back!
If I had a choice I would have a dog-park B&B (on acreage), but see that eliminates most of the foo foo dogs wearing tiaras, as they aren't really the outdoorsy types, and I would like the active all sized dogs who enjoy being around other dogs, to stay here. The ones with the big cheeky grins and tails wagging hard..
The ones with the big cheeky grins and tails wagging hard.
I do miss that - but not enough as I still have DH to pick up after.....

If I had a choice I would have a dog-park B&B (on acreage), but see that eliminates most of the foo foo dogs wearing tiaras, as they aren't really the outdoorsy types, and I would like the active all sized dogs who enjoy being around other dogs, to stay here. The ones with the big cheeky grins and tails wagging hard..
Joey Bloggs said:
If I had a choice I would have a dog-park B&B (on acreage), but see that eliminates most of the foo foo dogs wearing tiaras, as they aren't really the outdoorsy types, and I would like the active all sized dogs who enjoy being around other dogs, to stay here. The ones with the big cheeky grins and tails wagging hard.
I have "foo foo" dogs (Maltese) Trust me you get them out in the country and they forget all about being "foo foo"
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
I have "foo foo" dogs (Maltese) Trust me you get them out in the country and they forget all about being "foo foo"
wink_smile.gif

Ice said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Yeah they are all mountains dogs once they get out of the city! haha

Back