Morning chit chat TV

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have tvs in the guest rooms that are used more for DVD movies by them
We have a larger flat screen tv in the library. We leave it on with the satelite music. If a guest wants to watch something all they have to do is change the channel. They occasionnally watch a special sports game or something. One weekend we had guests who specifically asked for TV as well as fireplace and whirlpool tub. Turned out she was 8 months pregnant, and there was a special program about health with newborns that she didn't want to miss. So they were able to watch it on satelite in the library.
RIki.
When you have the radio on does your TV show just 'snow?' That's why I don't use the TV for music. If they had even just a 'screensaver' with the name of the song & the artist that would be better than what shows up now.
Morticia said:
When you have the radio on does your TV show just 'snow?' That's why I don't use the TV for music. If they had even just a 'screensaver' with the name of the song & the artist that would be better than what shows up now.
Nope. We have Dish tv since we don't have cable here. WHen we leave music on the name of the song shows on the screen No snow.
Riki
We have DirectTV but it's usually this awful static pattern. Maybe I'll try a few different stations.
Morticia said:
We have DirectTV but it's usually this awful static pattern. Maybe I'll try a few different stations.
We have the other one - I think it's Dish TV? That's good to know as Chris was thinking of switching to Direct TV!
RIki
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
We have the other one - I think it's Dish TV? That's good to know as Chris was thinking of switching to Direct TV!
RIki
OK, I have to take that all back. I just went out and tried the 'holiday' music and a couple of others and all I got was a blank screen, no static or snow. Maybe there was something wrong with it when we first got it and now it's set up correctly. We actually had to have the guy come out and reinstall the whole thing and move it 10-12 ft.
Morticia said:
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
RIki
OK, I have to take that all back. I just went out and tried the 'holiday' music and a couple of others and all I got was a blank screen, no static or snow. Maybe there was something wrong with it when we first got it and now it's set up correctly. We actually had to have the guy come out and reinstall the whole thing and move it 10-12 ft.
It may still not be right - we get the dark screen but also the name of the song and the performer - I can't imagine that yours would not do that as well - it could actually be a requirement for playing the music...
RIki
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
RIki
It may still not be right - we get the dark screen but also the name of the song and the performer - I can't imagine that yours would not do that as well - it could actually be a requirement for playing the music...
RIki
What I noticed is that it shows the song & artist at the beginning of the song and then it goes blank. I've actually got it on now, first time I think I've used this part of the satellite pkg! It may pop up the song & artist (along with what satellite 'station' this is) during the song, too, but I'm cleaning the kitchen and not paying attention!

Okay, I'm relieved. I really didn't want to add the aural chaos to a busy morning.
One thing for us, though. We don't have cable/satellite in the rooms yet. We didn't want the tech guy drilling willy-nilly in a historic house, so cable will have to wait until DH can do it to our satisfaction/standards. (In the meantime, guests can watch DVDs in the rooms and we even have a PS2 we've been moving around - although I don't think anyone uses it.) So, perhaps someone will want to watch in the common area. But I think I'll just leave it off and wait for someone to ask.

Okay, I'm relieved. I really didn't want to add the aural chaos to a busy morning.
One thing for us, though. We don't have cable/satellite in the rooms yet. We didn't want the tech guy drilling willy-nilly in a historic house, so cable will have to wait until DH can do it to our satisfaction/standards. (In the meantime, guests can watch DVDs in the rooms and we even have a PS2 we've been moving around - although I don't think anyone uses it.) So, perhaps someone will want to watch in the common area. But I think I'll just leave it off and wait for someone to ask..
We don't have TV's in the rooms, either. Once in awhile someone will turn the TV on for the weather. Most of them are checking the weather on their phones now!
We got a 'weather station' that we installed in the dining room. It is quite the conversation starter. Everyone has their pet weather channel so there's a lot of arguing going on about whose weatherman said what for the weather.
I think I'm going to start playing music in the morning, now that I know I won't be getting static on the TV.

One thing for us, though. We don't have cable/satellite in the rooms yet. We didn't want the tech guy drilling willy-nilly in a historic house, so cable will have to wait until DH can do it to our satisfaction/standards. (In the meantime, guests can watch DVDs in the rooms and we even have a PS2 we've been moving around - although I don't think anyone uses it.) So, perhaps someone will want to watch in the common area. But I think I'll just leave it off and wait for someone to ask..
sgirouard said:
One thing for us, though. We don't have cable/satellite in the rooms yet. We didn't want the tech guy drilling willy-nilly in a historic house, so cable will have to wait until DH can do it to our satisfaction/standards. (In the meantime, guests can watch DVDs in the rooms and we even have a PS2 we've been moving around - although I don't think anyone uses it.) So, perhaps someone will want to watch in the common area. But I think I'll just leave it off and wait for someone to ask.
We didn't want to pay for satelite in the rooms. We have the one satelite in the library if there's something special someone wants to watch. The room tvs get the three major channels with the antenna - but most of the guests use them for dvds.
RIki

sgirouard said:
We didn't want to pay for satelite in the rooms. We have the one satelite in the library if there's something special someone wants to watch. The room tvs get the three major channels with the antenna - but most of the guests use them for dvds.
RIki
egoodell said:
The room tvs get the three major channels with the antenna - but most of the guests use them for dvds.
RIki
I wondered if antennas would still work since the FCC changed the TV signals (no techie here, please, no tomatoes if one has nothing to do with the other). Good to know.

sgirouard said:
RIki
egoodell said:
The room tvs get the three major channels with the antenna - but most of the guests use them for dvds.
RIki
I wondered if antennas would still work since the FCC changed the TV signals (no techie here, please, no tomatoes if one has nothing to do with the other). Good to know.
sgirouard said:
egoodell said:
RIki
We have found that antennas work better since TVs moved to high def or whatever it is. We actually get more channels. The only problem is you have to tell people to arrow up and down to select channels rather than punching in numbers. For instance, we have them turn it on by punching 29 which used to be a channel, then arrow up as our 29 is now 29.2
RIki

sgirouard said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
sgirouard said:
egoodell said:
RIki
We have found that antennas work better since TVs moved to high def or whatever it is. We actually get more channels. The only problem is you have to tell people to arrow up and down to select channels rather than punching in numbers. For instance, we have them turn it on by punching 29 which used to be a channel, then arrow up as our 29 is now 29.2
RIki
You obviously have the high def ready TV's because an old style analog TV will NOT WORK without a converter box and and antennae unless you also have a high def antenna.

sgirouard said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
sgirouard said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
You obviously have the high def ready TV's because an old style analog TV will NOT WORK without a converter box and and antennae unless you also have a high def antenna.
catlady said:
Yes we bought them new two years ago for the inn so they were ready and work just on an antenna that came with them.I would say even if I got them new right now it would be cheaper in the long run than paying satelite for them monthly. But I would recommend seeing how they workin your area before buying to make sure they work well enough to get the three main channels.
RIki

sgirouard said:
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
sgirouard said:
egoodell said:
RIki
RIki
catlady said:
Yes we bought them new two years ago for the inn so they were ready and work just on an antenna that came with them.I would say even if I got them new right now it would be cheaper in the long run than paying satelite for them monthly. But I would recommend seeing how they workin your area before buying to make sure they work well enough to get the three main channels.
RIki
Oh we bought the converter boxes for our old TVs. OUr antennae would not pick up signals without them. Our own personal 46 in. flat screen is hooked to Direct TV HIGH DEF box and DVR...we love it. Even though it is more than I like to spend...I wouldn't give it up now:)

i only had a tv for guests in the library. they often turned it on in the morning to watch weather or news. it was so far away from the breakfast room it did not bother me or the dining atmosphere.
morticia, i have a suggestion for you. i created dvds that were images and music, playable on the tv. i did it on my computer in movie maker. not very fancy, but guests seemed to like them. i left them at the inn, and the computer belonged to the inn, (sorry) or i'd copy for you. just a thought.
the tv channels i got that were music channels had the singer name shown and a still screen ... but i used to close the tv armoire ... only issue is it got quite warm in there. i closed it because it was my son's personal flat screen hdtv and i didn't want guests to play with it. as soon as breakfast was over, i'd snap off the tv and open the doors!

i only had a tv for guests in the library. they often turned it on in the morning to watch weather or news. it was so far away from the breakfast room it did not bother me or the dining atmosphere.
morticia, i have a suggestion for you. i created dvds that were images and music, playable on the tv. i did it on my computer in movie maker. not very fancy, but guests seemed to like them. i left them at the inn, and the computer belonged to the inn, (sorry) or i'd copy for you. just a thought.
the tv channels i got that were music channels had the singer name shown and a still screen ... but i used to close the tv armoire ... only issue is it got quite warm in there. i closed it because it was my son's personal flat screen hdtv and i didn't want guests to play with it. as soon as breakfast was over, i'd snap off the tv and open the doors!.
No DVD player, but it's a good idea! (Maybe I should change my avatar to Wilma Flintstone!)

Back