Morning chit chat TV

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgirouard

Reaction score
The GMA post made me wonder this.
I do not watch TV first thing in the morning. I just can't process all that stimulation - barking noise, commercials, changing images....I know it's bizarre, it's just way more than I want to process at that hour. I want to check the weather & maybe the news (news paper or online), and other than that, I just want to get my day rolling (making breakfast, heating the house, whatever).
But...perhaps guests like GMA or the Today Show or whatever CBS offers or CNN or even Headline news.
Do you have the TV on in the morning in common areas?

No, our guest rooms have their own TV's so guests can do what they wish. For me...I never turn the TV on in the morning. I go on line, view the weather and then check a couple of news sites just to see if the world is still here and then get on with things.

I go further and never watch any news show, any time of the day. It drives me crazy when I go somewhere and have to listen to it blaring in a public space. Our local hospital has news on with the volume cranked in every waiting room. Way to get my blood pressure up before my appointment. I read a newspaper every day and two on Sunday, listen to NPR in my car and check online for headlines and weather. For anything else, I watch Jon Stewart.
We have a TV in the common area near the coffee but we don't turn it on. Guests occasionally turn it on, but usually just to check the weather. We do put the newspaper (Washington Post) out in the living room as well.

I go further and never watch any news show, any time of the day. It drives me crazy when I go somewhere and have to listen to it blaring in a public space. Our local hospital has news on with the volume cranked in every waiting room. Way to get my blood pressure up before my appointment. I read a newspaper every day and two on Sunday, listen to NPR in my car and check online for headlines and weather. For anything else, I watch Jon Stewart.
We have a TV in the common area near the coffee but we don't turn it on. Guests occasionally turn it on, but usually just to check the weather. We do put the newspaper (Washington Post) out in the living room as well..
The worst experience ever was sitting in a packed out inner city - and was a full moon - ER. Others there with knife wounds, broken bones, the place was packed and it was gang night.
My mother broke her ankle and the only two seats left were directly beneath the tv. It was, and this will be funny, a Doogie Houser episode that dealt with racism and violence. So here sat these two white faces beneath this tv that was blaring out racial dialogue. I could have crawled into a hole, every person in the room was facing toward us (the tv). I never sweated so much in my life!
Point is, not everyone is comfortable with what is on anyway...oh wait lest I forget the Dentist in Australia in 2002 when we were visiting - I broke tooth and we waited while Jerry Springer - the good All American show was on. Midday foul trash and I asked if I could turn it due to our kids being there - opening my yankee mouth. Nope, they loved that show and all those stupid Yanks on it.
Nice. I turned beet red.

NO!
Sorry, I'm yelling. I'm like you, I don't like all that racket early in the morning and I don't want to have everyone gathered around the TV instead of talking to each other.

We have a TV in the common area near the coffee but we don't turn it on. Guests occasionally turn it on, but usually just to check the weather. We do put the newspaper (Washington Post) out in the living room as well..
We have the local paper out every day and that gets a lot of mileage. If someone leaves the TV on and walks away, I shut it off.

We have tvs in the guest rooms that are used more for DVD movies by them
We have a larger flat screen tv in the library. We leave it on with the satelite music. If a guest wants to watch something all they have to do is change the channel. They occasionnally watch a special sports game or something. One weekend we had guests who specifically asked for TV as well as fireplace and whirlpool tub. Turned out she was 8 months pregnant, and there was a special program about health with newborns that she didn't want to miss. So they were able to watch it on satelite in the library.
RIki

I rarely watch ANY TV - cannot stand the flipping channels. Mr Surfer leaves it on something just long enough for me to get interested and ten flip.... Yes he knows how I feel about it so I only go in to his inner sanctum where the TV resides for specific programs. 2 of my rooms have TVs. I do not have much in the way of common areas. No TV except in rooms.

We have a larger flat screen tv in the library. We leave it on with the satelite music. If a guest wants to watch something all they have to do is change the channel. They occasionnally watch a special sports game or something. One weekend we had guests who specifically asked for TV as well as fireplace and whirlpool tub. Turned out she was 8 months pregnant, and there was a special program about health with newborns that she didn't want to miss. So they were able to watch it on satelite in the library.
RIki.
When you have the radio on does your TV show just 'snow?' That's why I don't use the TV for music. If they had even just a 'screensaver' with the name of the song & the artist that would be better than what shows up now.

I think I don't care what the guest wants in this instance.
"You're on vacation. Pick up the newspaper off the hallway table and read it" That's what I would think

Guests have their own TV and if they didn't I still wouldn't have the TV on. I have so many guests who tell me they haven't watched the news since leaving home and how nice it is. I listen to the news on the radio in the kitchen when I'm preparing breakfast. I actually can't stand to have a TV running as background in a room. I find it really agitating.

RIki.
When you have the radio on does your TV show just 'snow?' That's why I don't use the TV for music. If they had even just a 'screensaver' with the name of the song & the artist that would be better than what shows up now.
Morticia said:
Nope. We have Dish tv since we don't have cable here. WHen we leave music on the name of the song shows on the screen No snow.
Riki

No, no, no, and double no. TV in the common areas during the daytime is my idea of pure hell. No, no, no.
If they want to watch TV during the day, they can go to their rooms - or go to a sports bar.
Guests want a getaway, not a constantly tuned-in noise fest. They get enough of that in life already!

RIki.
Morticia said:
Nope. We have Dish tv since we don't have cable here. WHen we leave music on the name of the song shows on the screen No snow.
Riki
We have DirectTV but it's usually this awful static pattern. Maybe I'll try a few different stations.

RIki.
Morticia said:
Riki
We have DirectTV but it's usually this awful static pattern. Maybe I'll try a few different stations.
Morticia said:
We have the other one - I think it's Dish TV? That's good to know as Chris was thinking of switching to Direct TV!
RIki

We have the local news on in our personal living room every morning. In the Guest Parlor, we have the Bose radio on...right now it's Christmas Songs all day out there.

RIki.
Morticia said:
Riki
Morticia said:
We have the other one - I think it's Dish TV? That's good to know as Chris was thinking of switching to Direct TV!
RIki
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
RIki
OK, I have to take that all back. I just went out and tried the 'holiday' music and a couple of others and all I got was a blank screen, no static or snow. Maybe there was something wrong with it when we first got it and now it's set up correctly. We actually had to have the guy come out and reinstall the whole thing and move it 10-12 ft.

RIki.
Morticia said:
Riki
Morticia said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
RIki
OK, I have to take that all back. I just went out and tried the 'holiday' music and a couple of others and all I got was a blank screen, no static or snow. Maybe there was something wrong with it when we first got it and now it's set up correctly. We actually had to have the guy come out and reinstall the whole thing and move it 10-12 ft.
Morticia said:
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
RIki
It may still not be right - we get the dark screen but also the name of the song and the performer - I can't imagine that yours would not do that as well - it could actually be a requirement for playing the music...
RIki

We have the local news on in our personal living room every morning. In the Guest Parlor, we have the Bose radio on...right now it's Christmas Songs all day out there..
We have the TV in the common area and it is up to the guest to use it or not. Often they will only have it on for a few minutes to catch up on the headlines. I play music in the dining area during breakfast.

Back