Most Romantic Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
In your opinion, who were your most romantic guests and why? (If we are privvy to know)

We had guests our first year here who I thought (on the phone) that he was SO attentive to his wife. He wanted to know the perfect place to take her for dinner to show off the mink he was giving her for a b'day gift. Not that I'd ever want a mink, but it's the kind of thing (around here) that's way beyond usual.
Then they got here. And in conversation it turned out that the new wife was getting a mink but the recently ex wife had lived with him in a house with no plumbing or electricity, and she still did. And the whole thing seemed sad.
It made me realize that 'romance' is different things to different people and the guests I find most romantic are the ones who pay attention to each other. They read little bits of the paper to each other over breakfast and talk about it. They enjoy each other's company and not to the exclusion of others in the area. They're the couple you can't imagine ever being with anyone else (even tho I just found out one of our couples like that she was the 'other woman' 30 years ago).

A few weeks ago I had a great couple here. I just loved the way he looked at her when she was speaking. Probably not anything he was doing on a conscious level but I was very much aware of how much he adored her and how much she adored him. Nothing showy or mushy, but very genuine. It was so nice to see.
Typically, though, my favorite romantic guests are the older couples who still laugh at and with each other.

We recently had a couple that had left their 4 kids at home. They were holding hands and mooning over each other like a couple of love sick teenagers.
heart.gif

most romantic ...
this is going to sound weird, but stay with me.
young woman made a solo reservation for the following week. said she needed to get away. reserved for a week.
arrived alone, loved her room, loved the 'quaintness' ... spent time walking the little beach, walking up to the lighthouse. she had a boyfriend back home and he had asked her (repeatedly) to marry him but she wasn't sure. she thought if she turned him down once more, he would give up on her because he wanted to settle down. she asked that he not call her while she was away because she wasn't sure what she wanted and she just wanted to think ... by herself ... without working, without family and friends telling her what to do. he didn't want to date any more, he wanted a commitment and to start a family.
well, while with me she met another young man. casually. he approached her while she was at the lighthouse, taking pictures. he tracked her down, found my place and came by every day wanting to see her, etc. they went on long walks, to the beach, took the ferry out on a sightseeing cruise.
i was really wondering how this was going to turn out.
felt familiar, like a movie ..........
day six she wanted to be alone. told new guy she had plans but just hung out alone ........ that nite we sat together listening to the fog horn and talking. she was tired and fell asleep talking!
she extended her stay.
day seven she told the new guy goodbye. he came by that nite, but she told him she couldn't see him any more. he left flowers at the door which she put in the breakfast room.
day eight, she went over to the island on the ferry for the day. new guy came by looking for her, i told him she wasn't there. she spent the day touring alone. that nite, she told me she had decided that if her guy back home still wanted her, she would marry him. (i don't know if she planned to tell him about the away guy)
day nine, she checked out and flew home. she called me to tell me the back home guy was waiting at the airport. asked her to marry him again, she said yes, and he had a ring in his pocket.

most romantic ...
this is going to sound weird, but stay with me.
young woman made a solo reservation for the following week. said she needed to get away. reserved for a week.
arrived alone, loved her room, loved the 'quaintness' ... spent time walking the little beach, walking up to the lighthouse. she had a boyfriend back home and he had asked her (repeatedly) to marry him but she wasn't sure. she thought if she turned him down once more, he would give up on her because he wanted to settle down. she asked that he not call her while she was away because she wasn't sure what she wanted and she just wanted to think ... by herself ... without working, without family and friends telling her what to do. he didn't want to date any more, he wanted a commitment and to start a family.
well, while with me she met another young man. casually. he approached her while she was at the lighthouse, taking pictures. he tracked her down, found my place and came by every day wanting to see her, etc. they went on long walks, to the beach, took the ferry out on a sightseeing cruise.
i was really wondering how this was going to turn out.
felt familiar, like a movie ..........
day six she wanted to be alone. told new guy she had plans but just hung out alone ........ that nite we sat together listening to the fog horn and talking. she was tired and fell asleep talking!
she extended her stay.
day seven she told the new guy goodbye. he came by that nite, but she told him she couldn't see him any more. he left flowers at the door which she put in the breakfast room.
day eight, she went over to the island on the ferry for the day. new guy came by looking for her, i told him she wasn't there. she spent the day touring alone. that nite, she told me she had decided that if her guy back home still wanted her, she would marry him. (i don't know if she planned to tell him about the away guy)
day nine, she checked out and flew home. she called me to tell me the back home guy was waiting at the airport. asked her to marry him again, she said yes, and he had a ring in his pocket..
Awwwwwwww...sweet!

This is similar to SS's story...
Young gal in her early thirties made the reservation for our most private room. Her best guy friend in the world was getting ready to deploy after volunteering to go to the Middle East. They were both now single and they were re-connecting as more than friends. She knew after other relationships that he was her soul mate. They re-discovered each other in the short time that she was here and found out that they had really been in love with each other for years.
It could be another movie script :)
He should be coming home soon....I hope I hear the end of the story.
heart.gif

I had put together a 3-B & B donation for a BIG Anniversary motorcycle rally a couple years ago. The winner called to make the reservations and told me he was going to propose on this trip. Could I give some suggestions where he should do it. B & B #2 was on a mountaintop and had bears and was really scenic and a lovely place. B & B #3 was near the New River Gorge where there is breath-taking scenery, or I could put the ring on a ribbon attached to the clapper of the bell she would use to summon the next course. He chose to propose here. Slipped me the ring, etc. She said yes (it would have been a Looooong trip had she said no) and she told me the next morning that she had no idea he was going to propose. He got back from Iraq in April and they stopped here on their way home from a motorcycle rally a couple weeks ago with pix of His Royal Highness who got to visit Grandma because he will not fit on the motorcycle yet.

This may or may not fit in here- guest this morning was checking out and he came to say goodbye while we were still serving breakfast. He thanked us etc, etc and then leaned across the kitchen counter and whispered, 'We got married yesterday.'
What a surprise! They never mentioned anything about getting married, they just went to the town hall and filled out the paperwork and got married! He said she called in advance and got an appointment with the town clerk. They grabbed 2 random strangers as witnesses and someone who was there doing town business grabbed their camera and took pictures.

This may or may not fit in here- guest this morning was checking out and he came to say goodbye while we were still serving breakfast. He thanked us etc, etc and then leaned across the kitchen counter and whispered, 'We got married yesterday.'
What a surprise! They never mentioned anything about getting married, they just went to the town hall and filled out the paperwork and got married! He said she called in advance and got an appointment with the town clerk. They grabbed 2 random strangers as witnesses and someone who was there doing town business grabbed their camera and took pictures..
MooseTrax said:
What a surprise! They never mentioned anything about getting married, they just went to the town hall and filled out the paperwork and got married! He said she called in advance and got an appointment with the town clerk. They grabbed 2 random strangers as witnesses and someone who was there doing town business grabbed their camera and took pictures.
I am bad. I think that is the least romantic guest. Grabbed two random strangers...that ought to last. yeah. right.
smileystooges.gif

What a surprise! They never mentioned anything about getting married, they just went to the town hall and filled out the paperwork and got married! He said she called in advance and got an appointment with the town clerk. They grabbed 2 random strangers as witnesses and someone who was there doing town business grabbed their camera and took pictures..
MooseTrax said:
I am bad. I think that is the least romantic guest. Grabbed two random strangers...that ought to last. yeah. right.
smileystooges.gif

No one at home even knows yet that they did this.

MooseTrax said:
smileystooges.gif

No one at home even knows yet that they did this.
Our middle son called us at 11:55 PM one Dec 31 to tell us before Midnight that he had gotten married that day in Arizona. He and his girlfriend were visiting friends, walked past the Courthouse, looked at each other and said - what do you think? Ten year later they had a child. Two years later they were and still are separated. Both the other sons had planned weddings - one on the beach in San Fran that he had videoed so the families could see it and the other in the yard of their rented house - and both are still married, the oldest has 3 kids and the other says no way.

Well here they are - the most romantic couple - 60 years married...this is a tear jerker to me, it is just so sweet!
Britain's most romantic husband?
An 87-year-old North Wales man has put a fresh rose at his wife's bedside every single day of the 60 years they have been married.
Tom Shovelton also kisses his 83-year-old wife Joan and first thing every morning and before they go to sleep each night, reports the Daily Mail.
The couple, from Pentre Halkyn in Flintshire, North Wales, have just celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
Mrs Shovelton said: "I still get a rose by my bedside every day and I always get a kiss in the morning and before I go to bed at night.
"We have lived and worked together all our lives, so we know how important give and take is. We've had a happy 60 years together. I wouldn't have changed a thing."
And Mr Shovelton believes that if more couples made a selfless gesture to their spouse or loved one, there would be fewer broken relationships.
"Everyone should do it," he said. "I love her to bits - I have done since the day we met."
They met by chance in a pub on New Year's Eve of 1946, discovered they shared a love of horticulture and went on to work together as market gardeners.
The couple, who have children, Susan, Tony, Mark and twins Jayne and Paul, also have ten grandchildren and one great grandchild.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3449759.html?menu=news.quirkies.heartwarmers

teeth_smile.gif
That is a good article to blog about and mention the romantic add ons for your BnB.

While they weren't my guests.....last year on the CBS Evening News, an "Assignment America" segment profiled a couple in their late eighties who were getting married...it was a really touching story. Since their names and hometown were mentioned, I sent them a letter expressing how touched I was and a gift certificate for a two night stay.
I'm sure they will never visit, but I was compelled to express my emotions to them.

Well here they are - the most romantic couple - 60 years married...this is a tear jerker to me, it is just so sweet!
Britain's most romantic husband?
An 87-year-old North Wales man has put a fresh rose at his wife's bedside every single day of the 60 years they have been married.
Tom Shovelton also kisses his 83-year-old wife Joan and first thing every morning and before they go to sleep each night, reports the Daily Mail.
The couple, from Pentre Halkyn in Flintshire, North Wales, have just celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
Mrs Shovelton said: "I still get a rose by my bedside every day and I always get a kiss in the morning and before I go to bed at night.
"We have lived and worked together all our lives, so we know how important give and take is. We've had a happy 60 years together. I wouldn't have changed a thing."
And Mr Shovelton believes that if more couples made a selfless gesture to their spouse or loved one, there would be fewer broken relationships.
"Everyone should do it," he said. "I love her to bits - I have done since the day we met."
They met by chance in a pub on New Year's Eve of 1946, discovered they shared a love of horticulture and went on to work together as market gardeners.
The couple, who have children, Susan, Tony, Mark and twins Jayne and Paul, also have ten grandchildren and one great grandchild.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3449759.html?menu=news.quirkies.heartwarmers.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Come to find out that he's been having an affair with the florist for 60 years!

Back