Most unusual diet?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What has been, if you can recall, the most unusual diet you have had to deal with as a B&B operator?
b) Has there even been a time when you told the guest you could not accomodate their special needs and asked them to bring their own food?

I have had two guests (years apart and not the same person) who ate ONLY RAW food. Their partners in both instances ate "real" food.
So far I have not said, bring your own

I had the "macadamia girl."
She could not eat fruit, wheat, dairy, meat, vegetables. She could only eat macadamias. So she said.
I asked her to bring her own. She was, btw a person with a severe eating disorder, which was obv when I met her in person. She ate macadamias and drank coca cola, only. She had a case of each in her room. It was the oddest thing I had ever seen. I still remember her hollowed out eyes when she looked at me. She understood bringing her own.

Not a guest (when we travel, if possible DO BYO) but DH is on a no salt, no sugar, no fat diet and the
potty-mouth.gif
adheres to it almost totally!
I totally appreciate the innmates who have taken us in.

Rotation diet... they cancelled, thankfully. We did tell them that we would not be able to prepare other meals for them. We now know enough to simply tell them that we can't accomodate them.

Totally organic. No processed foods. They brought their own food and their own blender to make smoothies. All we provided was a place to set up and filtered water ice cubes.

Not unusual, technically, but the one that made me battiest so far was the one that wanted protein every day (fine) and could have eggs but not cheese. (I think they were no dairy or something.) Eggs without cheese? But all my great dishes have cheese! I made scrambled eggs every day, which is fine... but goes through a LOT of eggs in a hurry!
This morning I served pancakes and the guest at the table said he was on Atkins. Oops... I forgot to ask? (How did I do that???) I was on Atkins this past winter, so I can certainly accommodate, but I never would have served pancakes if I'd known!
=)
Kk.

Not unusual, technically, but the one that made me battiest so far was the one that wanted protein every day (fine) and could have eggs but not cheese. (I think they were no dairy or something.) Eggs without cheese? But all my great dishes have cheese! I made scrambled eggs every day, which is fine... but goes through a LOT of eggs in a hurry!
This morning I served pancakes and the guest at the table said he was on Atkins. Oops... I forgot to ask? (How did I do that???) I was on Atkins this past winter, so I can certainly accommodate, but I never would have served pancakes if I'd known!
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
YS you are sharing my "beginnings in innkeeping story" in a nutshell. I tell it often, when we bought this inn and I was so excited, I was up at the crack of dawn baking and baking, and all people wanted was MEAT, HIGH PROTEIN. I was never so discouraged in my life!
...And now you see the freshman 15, or is that twenty?
But do you know since then, this was like two years solid of this Atkins mania, meat meat meat. I have not baked, I bake for check in refreshments, cuz if they don't eat them, I put them out the next day for the next guests! But I only bake on ocassion and for a full house, I no longer bake muffins of any sort, I have not since year 1 and won't.
That's my story and I am stickin' with it!

Raw diet...but it actually was one of the easiest ones to accommodate. Much easier than a no gluten or vegan diet because those folks expect a cooked main course that satisfies their dietary restrictions.
regular_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
YS you are sharing my "beginnings in innkeeping story" in a nutshell. I tell it often, when we bought this inn and I was so excited, I was up at the crack of dawn baking and baking, and all people wanted was MEAT, HIGH PROTEIN. I was never so discouraged in my life!
But do you know since then, this was like two years solid of this Atkins mania, meat meat meat. I have not baked, I bake for check in refreshments, cuz if they don't eat them, I put them out the next day for the next guests! But I only bake on ocassion and for a full house, I no longer bake muffins of any sort, I have not since year 1 and won't.
We don't bake muffins or breads for breakfast, either, but I have been going a little wacky with the fruit pies lately. Got another one cooling for tomorrow. And it was the same thing with us with the muffins- 'This looks lovely but I don't eat bread.' How anyone can live without bread I don't know. But we decided it wasn't worth the effort to do that everyday when it was just left on the plate. (And then thrown in the trash because it was served.)
I have made 'pop tarts' for breakfast, too. And I'm going to try berry financiers sometime this week. But I only do it for fun. If it felt like work and it kept getting turned down I'd stop.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
And if we didn't have baked goods on the table, we would have to deal with revolt. That being said, a full sized muffin... won't move. Make them mini and they are out the door.

Back