Mother Murphy's Law of Innkeeping says...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
"Having a room no-show for breakfast is increased ten fold if they are the only guests that morning. If you are up early and bustling for only one room, there is a 75% likelihood of no-showism." M.M.L.I. (Mother Murphy's Law of Innkeeping)

Innkeeper friend had to drive 30 minutes in Friday traffic to pick up specialty breakfast items for an incoming guest who neglected to mention she was gluten free on her reservation but went on and on at check-in about her "condition" and what she could and couldn't eat.
OF COURSE the guest did not show for breakfast this morning! I truly hope there's a special place you know where for this kind of jerk...

MMLI: If you have 16 guests for breakfast and open seating they will either- all show up at the same time, 9:15, or the couple will sit at the table for 3 and the single will sit at the table for 4 and the family of 4 will try to rearrange the dining room so they can all sit together.

Innkeeper friend had to drive 30 minutes in Friday traffic to pick up specialty breakfast items for an incoming guest who neglected to mention she was gluten free on her reservation but went on and on at check-in about her "condition" and what she could and couldn't eat.
OF COURSE the guest did not show for breakfast this morning! I truly hope there's a special place you know where for this kind of jerk....
Tell your friend she is not the guest's dietician. If the guest neglected to mention the issue until check-in on Friday afternoon, it is a non-issue. If it wasn't important enough to remember when making a reservation for BREAKFAST then it's not important. The guest gets something without gluten, but nothing special. We shop once/day and that's enough for any sane person.
Remember the mantra this year: I am not your mother.

OF COURSE the guest did not show for breakfast this morning! I truly hope there's a special place you know where for this kind of jerk....
Tell your friend she is not the guest's dietician. If the guest neglected to mention the issue until check-in on Friday afternoon, it is a non-issue. If it wasn't important enough to remember when making a reservation for BREAKFAST then it's not important. The guest gets something without gluten, but nothing special. We shop once/day and that's enough for any sane person.
Alibi Ike said:
Or "I am somebody's mother, but I ain't yours!"

If you have waited all day for guest/s to arrive and have put off eating your meal because you just have having food in your teeth while checking in guests, the guests will arrive right after you've sat down to eat.

Seriously...if it were my guest they would have gotten plain scrambled eggs. No good deed...

If you have waited all day for guest/s to arrive and have put off eating your meal because you just have having food in your teeth while checking in guests, the guests will arrive right after you've sat down to eat..
nope they will come the minute you have put that first bite of food in your mouth. or that exact second the phone will ring.

spinach-in-teeth-280x280.jpg

WELCOME!

Alibi Ike said:
Or "I am somebody's mother, but I ain't yours!"
I'll try that one ... maybe they will quiet down while they are trying to figure it out.

Geez. I would have been livid!

Gluten-free without a warning.... same as a vegan without a warning... banana and a glass of soy milk (rice milk, almond milk, orange juice, etc. can be substituted.)

Gluten-free without a warning.... same as a vegan without a warning... banana and a glass of soy milk (rice milk, almond milk, orange juice, etc. can be substituted.)
We get all of our dairy delivered from a local farm weekly, would/could never stock soy/almond/rice milk because no one would use it!
Gluten free is easy for us (eggs and potatoes) but vegan...yikes, I wouldn't even know where to start. Luckily we've never had one.

We get all of our dairy delivered from a local farm weekly, would/could never stock soy/almond/rice milk because no one would use it!
Gluten free is easy for us (eggs and potatoes) but vegan...yikes, I wouldn't even know where to start. Luckily we've never had one.
Rice, almond and soy milk are available in UHT boxes. Stores for months at a time. Just need one. They run $2, here.

Rice, almond and soy milk are available in UHT boxes. Stores for months at a time. Just need one. They run $2, here.
Only until opened. And the one guest who needs it is always here for one night and the next one always shows up the day after the soy/almond/rice milk goes bad. I'll drink the soy milk but not a fan of the others.

Only until opened. And the one guest who needs it is always here for one night and the next one always shows up the day after the soy/almond/rice milk goes bad. I'll drink the soy milk but not a fan of the others.
I use the rest of of it up in baking recipes or french toast. But it's not an enormous expense for that one guest to keep a $2 carton of the horrible stuff around. At least I don't have to run around town like a chicken without a head trying to get everything together.. simply because they were rude and didn't email ahead of time.

What she said. And I wouldn't attempt baking with it, and I don't care for any of it myself. The good thing is we keep a guest fridge, so they can bring their own and use it when they want it.

...if they show up for breakfast at coffee exactly at the designated time, not a moment earlier, they will not check out until exactly check out time, and not a moment earlier.

"Three cups full"
Okay so I am just sayin'...if you are a tea drinker, do you think you MIGHT know what a kettle is? Three cups later she finally has her hot water for tea. First try she uses the BLUE lever on the BIG COLD DISTILLED WATER DISPENSER.
bottledwaterdispenser_102039.jpg

Try two, she asks where is the hot water, we point her to the kettle and flip the switch on, this will be hot in a couple minutes, we say. We walk away. She picks it up, off goes the kettle switch and she pours lukewarm water into her cup.
41-QBJ9HoFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Third try, she complains there is no hot water, we reboil the kettle and tell her when you see steam coming out the top and the sound of boiling water, then it will be hot.
These very observant people drive cars, on your roads...beware. UGH

"Three cups full"
Okay so I am just sayin'...if you are a tea drinker, do you think you MIGHT know what a kettle is? Three cups later she finally has her hot water for tea. First try she uses the BLUE lever on the BIG COLD DISTILLED WATER DISPENSER.
bottledwaterdispenser_102039.jpg

Try two, she asks where is the hot water, we point her to the kettle and flip the switch on, this will be hot in a couple minutes, we say. We walk away. She picks it up, off goes the kettle switch and she pours lukewarm water into her cup.
41-QBJ9HoFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Third try, she complains there is no hot water, we reboil the kettle and tell her when you see steam coming out the top and the sound of boiling water, then it will be hot.
These very observant people drive cars, on your roads...beware. UGH.
She microwaves her water....

Back