Mother Murphy's Law of Innkeeping

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you allow guests to check themselves in they don't see any of the materials you left for them explaining checkout times or breakfast..
Madeleine said:
If you allow guests to check themselves in they don't see any of the materials you left for them explaining checkout times or breakfast.
We place the "self-check-in" letter on their pillow. They physically have to pick it up if they don't want to sleep on it.
Your notes don't have to be terse barking orders, but can be thoughtful, kind and instructive. It just requires a bit of word smithing and sometimes humor.
I have different versions of this letter on my computer, depending on the circumstances, that can be personalized. I have been told that this was helpful and and appreciated and made them feel like special guests.
I'm actually surprised how apologetic some of our late arrivals get. Not everyone is a PITA.

If you allow guests to check themselves in they don't see any of the materials you left for them explaining checkout times or breakfast..
Madeleine said:
If you allow guests to check themselves in they don't see any of the materials you left for them explaining checkout times or breakfast.
We place the "self-check-in" letter on their pillow. They physically have to pick it up if they don't want to sleep on it.
Your notes don't have to be terse barking orders, but can be thoughtful, kind and instructive. It just requires a bit of word smithing and sometimes humor.
I have different versions of this letter on my computer, depending on the circumstances, that can be personalized. I have been told that this was helpful and and appreciated and made them feel like special guests.
I'm actually surprised how apologetic some of our late arrivals get. Not everyone is a PITA.
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
I like the humor too!
The goofier the better.
BTW not sure if this is the same conversation (know I think it was "Stepfords only a mother could love") but they ended up loving every moment, and gave a nice tip to the asst innkeeper. He was difficult to understand, but had a serious sense of humor! They took the keys with them, so we are still in touch...

Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
We have the WiFi info, the breakfast times, the check out times on the pillow. NO ONE reads it. I get calls at midnight because they don't have the WiFi password.
We also have the same info in the letter we tape to the exterior door that gives them the code to get in the house and directions to their room. They read as far as 'use this code to get in the house' and 'turn right and go up the stairs' and then they stop.
They'll tell me in the morning nothing was open for dinner. Sigh. Yes, the hotel has a wonderful restaurant that is open until 11. They were open at 9 PM when you got here. But you didn't read.

Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
We have the WiFi info, the breakfast times, the check out times on the pillow. NO ONE reads it. I get calls at midnight because they don't have the WiFi password.
We also have the same info in the letter we tape to the exterior door that gives them the code to get in the house and directions to their room. They read as far as 'use this code to get in the house' and 'turn right and go up the stairs' and then they stop.
They'll tell me in the morning nothing was open for dinner. Sigh. Yes, the hotel has a wonderful restaurant that is open until 11. They were open at 9 PM when you got here. But you didn't read.
Then there's the people who read things and then ignore it.
There's a list of local restaurants in the bedrooms that we recommend.
A guest came down this morning and asked about local places to eat for this evening, I reeled off the usual list and then said "All these places with their addresses, websites and phone numbers are in the room information", reply "Yes, we saw that".
WHAT? If you read the information what's the point of then asking me!!!!!!

I actually had one that READ the Confirmation Letter!! I had a call yesterday from one of today's arrivals. She said, "I know check-in is between 4 and 7 but we will be in town around Noon looking around Noon looking around town. We were wondering when would be a convenient time to see the log house?" I suggested when they check-in and they get their luggage upstairs, we could go see the house then. She said they were concerned about bumping into my time checking in other guests. That was considerate of her! Thanked her for her consideration as I do have to do some shopping this morning.

Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Then there's the people who read things and then ignore it.
There's a list of local restaurants in the bedrooms that we recommend.
A guest came down this morning and asked about local places to eat for this evening, I reeled off the usual list and then said "All these places with their addresses, websites and phone numbers are in the room information", reply "Yes, we saw that".
WHAT? If you read the information what's the point of then asking me!!!!!!
These must be relatives of the folks that on the phone ask you all the questions and when you ask if they've seen your website say "yes, I'm on it now"!

Watching "Revenge" on netflix and got a chuckle out of a one liner last night:
"She doesn't look like a groupon kind of girl"
.............speaking of a wealthy character this kid has a crush on...and is out of his league. Funny how our geek-speak has now become a social stigma or commentary on a person. You all understood the joke, as I did. Dh said "What does THAT mean?" as I was laughing at it.

Back