Mother Murphy's Law of Innkeeping

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
"If you have someplace to be, guests will check out at the last possible minute or later"
Feel free to share you own tried and true Mother Murphy's here...

That person who calls you 18 times with 118 questions before finally making a reservation is going to cancel, and you know it.
My Mom stayed here the end of July a few nights, and watched me make a rez for a lady with her fifth phone call. Traveling on motorcycle, very worried about the 7 day cancel and the weather. Anywho, when I hung up, I said "She's going to cancel". The next day, she did...Mom was there to witness. And being a good Mom, she told me how awesome I am...told her it's a learned behavior.

If guests are way over-due, just go to the bathroom or make a quick run to the grocery. They WILL arrive either two minutes after you leave OR when you are "at half-mast".

All of the guest with dietary restrictions will book for the same set of days. And they will all have different restrictions.

As soon as you block off your vacation days, everyone who calls wants to book those dates.

If you post a special with a set of restrictions (like an ending date) every caller wants to come the day after the special expires.

If you post a special with a set of restrictions (like an ending date) every caller wants to come the day after the special expires..
Are ya having a bad Monday? ;-)
Samster said:
Are ya having a bad Monday? ;-)
Not at all! Great guests this week. It's actually one of the better weeks so far this August. But, BTDT as far as the Murphy's Law stuff goes!

If everyone has booked an early check in and you have said yes and everything is ready and you are super happy you will have all the afternoon and evening in peice and quiet you can guarantee that one does not turn up till 9.30pm!!!

If your first check-in shows up early (before check-in time), guaranteed the last one will show at 5:59 (or the last possible moment you will allow).

Put dinner on the table, and guests will ring the bell to check-in..
Samster said:
Put dinner on the table, and guests will ring the bell to check-in.
That works so well, we've started doing that on purpose to get them here and get check-in over with!
Totally tonight...walk-in rang bell, needed to see rooms, then needed to consult with husband, then needed to show husband how to get in house and THEN handed over cc. All the while my dinner is getting cold. While trying to get guest checked in, family shows up at door looking for room. Phone rings with another guest wanting info for tonight. THEN checked in guests needed dinner ideas.
Hey, how about reheating my cold chicken!

Quiet for hours, the when cooking dinner new guests show and the phone rings off the hook

Mother Murphy:
If some guest apparel* is left behind, it is never clean.
(*So are we supposed to launder someone's unmentionables and hold them for them? ick"

If you allow guests to check themselves in they don't see any of the materials you left for them explaining checkout times or breakfast.

Mother Murphy:
(*So are we supposed to launder someone's unmentionables and hold them for them? ick".
Joey Bloggs said:
Mother Murphy:
(*So are we supposed to launder someone's unmentionables and hold them for them? ick"
I recently got a call from a guest who wanted to know if we found a pair of blue silk boxer shorts......he left them a month ago! So, what were we supposed to do, wash them and hold on to them? Rightttttt.

Back