Movie Set?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
OK we got a call from a guy in Chicago. He said he is involved in plans for a low budget horror movie--knows about the lodge, and is interested in bringing people to see it before it is restored. My gut reaction is no-- what do you all think? DH thinks possible news, PR, etc... I am still "horrified" about this...maybe I am over reacting? Anyone with experience with this?

How much $$ ?
Horrified? I would say 100% yes as long as it was not a B grade movie or something.

I have an inn-mate who let a movie company use their place to shoot a direct to DVD horror film. It worked out well for them and paid their bills when business was really slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. She stipulated the policies very clearly up front and had a contract.

Wow! Imagine that. It could work either way...fantasic publicity or total aversion. Or, really, more like something in the middle. Saw? No, wouldn't let them in. Campy, low budget horror flick? Probably would. But you do need a contract. You don't want them making changes to your property or overstaying their welcome.

Go fot the $$$$. Have a specified contract. No low ball because these kind of things can either make or break you. Depending on the movie.....you could use it to your advantage. Make sure you have it in the contract that you can use it in your marketing. Get photos, video etc...

Product placement for a film being produced this summer/fall around here is about $5,000-10,000 and that is to just PAN the camera over your B&B sign or business. Not even to have it in the background during a full scene. It is an independent film (I will let you know when it is underway, they are hoping Sissy Spacek will take the lead since she has a home at this location).

white pine, unless this is an adult movie, I can't see why you wouldn't do this.
Yes, when movie crews come onto your property it is overwhelming in the level of activity and people. But they pay REALLY WELL for that inconvenience.
If your place had been renovated, I'd be cautious. But since it hasn't been yet, I'd consider this a great opportunity to get some good cash for the remodel.
And who knows. Maybe it will become a cult classic that draws guests to your inn for years to come.

white pine, unless this is an adult movie, I can't see why you wouldn't do this.
Yes, when movie crews come onto your property it is overwhelming in the level of activity and people. But they pay REALLY WELL for that inconvenience.
If your place had been renovated, I'd be cautious. But since it hasn't been yet, I'd consider this a great opportunity to get some good cash for the remodel.
And who knows. Maybe it will become a cult classic that draws guests to your inn for years to come..
Innkeeper To Go said:
And who knows. Maybe it will become a cult classic that draws guests to your inn for years to come.
The Stanley Hotel was in dire straits 30-some years ago, until it became associated with a certain movie. Now, it's become a destination, as it was when it was originally built. That movie saved it.

And who knows. Maybe it will become a cult classic that draws guests to your inn for years to come..
Innkeeper To Go said:
The Stanley Hotel was in dire straits 30-some years ago, until it became associated with a certain movie. Now, it's become a destination, as it was when it was originally built. That movie saved it.
Exactamente.

Wow! Imagine that. It could work either way...fantasic publicity or total aversion. Or, really, more like something in the middle. Saw? No, wouldn't let them in. Campy, low budget horror flick? Probably would. But you do need a contract. You don't want them making changes to your property or overstaying their welcome..
My friend didn't do it for the publicity, it was strictly for the dinero. :)

Wow! Imagine that. It could work either way...fantasic publicity or total aversion. Or, really, more like something in the middle. Saw? No, wouldn't let them in. Campy, low budget horror flick? Probably would. But you do need a contract. You don't want them making changes to your property or overstaying their welcome..
My friend didn't do it for the publicity, it was strictly for the dinero. :)
The dinero is usually very good.

Thanks for all the good comments. I am uncomfortable about this for several reasons. This guy called DH at 6:30 am Chicago time-- who does business this way? This guy goes "way back" with the guy we bought from, who has a number of ex-con friends, and we just paid a hefty legal bill for advice on the purchase of this place. I know nothing about film contracts or who to go to there--yet more lawyers...
I also am concerned about having renovations and a film crew there logistically. We also are listing our home, packing, and still waiting on the electrician to hook up a new meter and electrical mast on the motel so we can have power and water there. DH is still consulting, and will have to be out of town for a bit next month. Worst of all I am out of town visiting with my mom who will probably not live out the week.
Sorry for going on, I'm not in a good place. Maybe I'll just let DH deal with it and just make sure he does not obligate us one way or another for now.
Thanks Again All..........

Thanks for all the good comments. I am uncomfortable about this for several reasons. This guy called DH at 6:30 am Chicago time-- who does business this way? This guy goes "way back" with the guy we bought from, who has a number of ex-con friends, and we just paid a hefty legal bill for advice on the purchase of this place. I know nothing about film contracts or who to go to there--yet more lawyers...
I also am concerned about having renovations and a film crew there logistically. We also are listing our home, packing, and still waiting on the electrician to hook up a new meter and electrical mast on the motel so we can have power and water there. DH is still consulting, and will have to be out of town for a bit next month. Worst of all I am out of town visiting with my mom who will probably not live out the week.
Sorry for going on, I'm not in a good place. Maybe I'll just let DH deal with it and just make sure he does not obligate us one way or another for now.
Thanks Again All...........
white pine said:
Who does business this way? Welcome to Hollywood. Film crews are notoriously inconsiderate. They only care about getting the filming done. You're getting paid so they think they've done enough for you.
So there's that. Filming is never without total chaos and unreasonable intrusions. That's why I would never do it if your place were renovated/open.
I was only recommending this for pre-renovation, not during. You're right to be cautious there.
But all that aside, the reasons you cite here about the PO are enough to justify extreme caution.
Trust your gut. I think it's telling you something here.

Sorry about your mom. No, you don't need this headache given where it is possibly coming from.

white pine said:
Who does business this way? Welcome to Hollywood. Film crews are notoriously inconsiderate. They only care about getting the filming done. You're getting paid so they think they've done enough for you.
So there's that. Filming is never without total chaos and unreasonable intrusions. That's why I would never do it if your place were renovated/open.
I was only recommending this for pre-renovation, not during. You're right to be cautious there.
But all that aside, the reasons you cite here about the PO are enough to justify extreme caution.
Trust your gut. I think it's telling you something here.
Thanks for the feedback. I told DH I am OK with having them come and look and talk about it. No obligations on either side. I think DH is right about PR and news releases and the possibility of $$$$, but I am still, as always, cautious.

Sorry about your mom. No, you don't need this headache given where it is possibly coming from.
Thanks for the sympathy, she is 94 and has been failing for a while. I will get some rest and feel better tomorrow.

Thanks for the sympathy, she is 94 and has been failing for a while. I will get some rest and feel better tomorrow.
Lord have mercy, don't know how I missed that part about your mom. I am so sorry white pine.
Please keep us posted and be sure to take care of yourself, too.

Blessings be with both you and your Mom. ((Hugs of caring and sympathy be with you))

Back