Moving guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Just got an email from someone wanting me to move some other guests so they could have the room. The implication was 'if it's just your family, I want the room, move them'. (Holiday) Then the coup de grace? 'Is that the best you can do on the price?'
Honey, if I am working ON A HOLIDAY, then by golly that is the best I can do.

BOY..what nerve! How would they know family is staying in that room? It is none of their business. Room is taken end of story. And best price....give me a break...it's a holiday you should charge them more!!! What are people thinking?

'Is that the best you can do on the price?'
No, you are right. I should increase it by $50, that would be the best I can do on the rate.

'Is that the best you can do on the price?'
No, you are right. I should increase it by $50, that would be the best I can do on the rate..
Here! Here!
Or, is it Hear!Hear! Anyway, I agree with you Gilliamhouse.

What a cheek!!!
The "is that your best price?" question really ticks me off.
I had someone ask me that for a 1 night booking in the middle of August this year.

I hate when they ask "Is that the best you can do on the price." It is basically saying that your work isn't worth it.
The best answer...
We are sorry, but the other guest reserved first, so that room is not available. That is my best price and my only price. Good luck with your search for accomodations.

There are so many quick answers to that question "Is that the best you can do?" We want to ask THEM if it is the best they can do? If not, go to a motel 6 along the highway...but really, those who ask that are NEVER the ones who really need the best you can do price. They then roll up in a new convertable mercedes.
I agree it is the biggest insult, and next to that my favorite is after being told the price "a NIGHT!" I would love ot be a mouse on the wall (and I am sure there are mice on the walls) in the roach motel where ex-cons and registered offenders live and a guy 86's himself and there are always sirens and flashing lights...truckers and hookers and drug deals. Sure, here is a lovely place you might enjoy 866- ...

Consumer Reports magazine has run several articles advising the smart consumer to ALWAYS ask for a better price, including even asking the doctor's office to give you a better deal on your exam! And they report results that over 65% of the time, those who ask for a better price get one.
I think that's where much of this is coming from. People are being told it's OK to do it, and, indirectly, told they are a bad consumer if they don't do it!
My advice is to just politely let them know you aren't coming down and most will accept it and proceed to pay you what you ask. They're only asking because they've been told to, and told they have nothing to lose by asking. Sometimes they get lucky.

Grrrr... and then there was the caller that wanted only the Fri after T-giving, called me last month. I told her have a 2 night min. she started yelling 'but you have open rooms'!

Consumer Reports magazine has run several articles advising the smart consumer to ALWAYS ask for a better price, including even asking the doctor's office to give you a better deal on your exam! And they report results that over 65% of the time, those who ask for a better price get one.
I think that's where much of this is coming from. People are being told it's OK to do it, and, indirectly, told they are a bad consumer if they don't do it!
My advice is to just politely let them know you aren't coming down and most will accept it and proceed to pay you what you ask. They're only asking because they've been told to, and told they have nothing to lose by asking. Sometimes they get lucky..
Arkansawyer said:
My advice is to just politely let them know you aren't coming down and most will accept it and proceed to pay you what you ask. They're only asking because they've been told to, and told they have nothing to lose by asking. Sometimes they get lucky.
This is the new norm... it is being embedded into our brains with everything now... especially commercials - 2 come to mind Sha tner on the P ricel ine and Prog ressive ins - with discount being every other word.

My advice is to just politely let them know you aren't coming down and most will accept it and proceed to pay you what you ask. They're only asking because they've been told to, and told they have nothing to lose by asking. Sometimes they get lucky..
I'm not averse to discounting. I really shouldn't be open on holidays because I don't want to work holidays! At least not winter holidays. I don't mind the summer hols.
It was the whole list...move that person if it's 'only' your family (OK, my FAMILY deserves the nice accommodations, too! And the implication was 'because you gave them the room for free, you can cut me a deal'), give me a better price than they're paying, that sort of thing.
He won't book. I'm sure I wasn't the only inn on his shopping list.

I never understand why people think that B&B rooms should be discounted on holidays? Huh? Where do they get that line of thinking?

My answere to that is what do you want me to cut out to give you a better deal?? May it be breakfast ...ummm clean sheets for bed. Or maybe you would like some used towels!!!!!
My prices are the best you will find in this area for what all you receive here. If it does not meet your pocket book.
Then maybe a motel or hotel with extra charge for breakfast and a not so nice comphy bed with wonderful sheets to sleep on. And people running down the hallways all night long . AND if you are luck you may have a loud drunk next room over.
This worked for me and to boot we got a tip at the end. You just have to stand up for what all you offer and be proud in what you have. People all over the world pay for service on all levels. My mom used to say you get what you pay for.

I just had an e-mail asking if I had availability for New Year's Eve night and what will the rate be. She did not ask for a discount - I think she expected a higher rate than what is on my web page.

I'm not averse to discounting. I really shouldn't be open on holidays because I don't want to work holidays! At least not winter holidays. I don't mind the summer hols.
It was the whole list...move that person if it's 'only' your family (OK, my FAMILY deserves the nice accommodations, too! And the implication was 'because you gave them the room for free, you can cut me a deal'), give me a better price than they're paying, that sort of thing.
Madeleine said:
.... I'm sure I wasn't the only inn on his shopping list....
When I get an email that was sent out to multiple bed and breakfasts asking for the best price, I know that they are not my client. They just want cheap, not good.
For these I reply that my online reservation system provides my best prices and I do not and will not compete on price. There are many wonderfuly B&Bs in my area and good luck with your search.
Most never come back, because all they care about is the price. But there are always a few who realize that maybe price isn't the only factor.

Madeleine said:
I'm sure you're right, Madeleine. He's just playing you off against others.
From early April to Mid-late October we've got just about as much trade as we can cope with. In July and August we're turning people away almost daily. If not getting discount means you wont book I don't care, there are plenty of cheaper options around here (although not as nice).
Otherwise come back in November or February and then maybe we can talk discount.

My answere to that is what do you want me to cut out to give you a better deal?? May it be breakfast ...ummm clean sheets for bed. Or maybe you would like some used towels!!!!!
My prices are the best you will find in this area for what all you receive here. If it does not meet your pocket book.
Then maybe a motel or hotel with extra charge for breakfast and a not so nice comphy bed with wonderful sheets to sleep on. And people running down the hallways all night long . AND if you are luck you may have a loud drunk next room over.
This worked for me and to boot we got a tip at the end. You just have to stand up for what all you offer and be proud in what you have. People all over the world pay for service on all levels. My mom used to say you get what you pay for..
Flower said:
That annoys me about people with children who expect lower prices for them. ARe they not going to sleep in the bed, or use the towels, or eat breakfast. And even if they're not, they're still occupying a room that I could let to adults for the full price.

This worked for me and to boot we got a tip at the end. You just have to stand up for what all you offer and be proud in what you have. People all over the world pay for service on all levels. My mom used to say you get what you pay for..
Flower said:
That annoys me about people with children who expect lower prices for them. ARe they not going to sleep in the bed, or use the towels, or eat breakfast. And even if they're not, they're still occupying a room that I could let to adults for the full price.
plus are usually a bigger pain i my arse so we should charge more!

Madeleine said:
When I get an email that was sent out to multiple bed and breakfasts asking for the best price, I know that they are not my client. They just want cheap, not good.
For these I reply that my online reservation system provides my best prices and I do not and will not compete on price. There are many wonderfuly B&Bs in my area and good luck with your search.
Most never come back, because all they care about is the price. But there are always a few who realize that maybe price isn't the only factor.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Sent just to me, but it doesn't take much to cut and paste the same message into multiple emails.
Or, BCC, then I would only see my name, no others.

Back