Must see in Charleston SC and Savanna GA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Are there any must sees in Charlestion SC and Savanna GA? We are going with our very very good friends. We just wanted to know if you have any suggestions. We will of course eat at Paula Deens and Mrs Wilks Boarding House.

Charleston? I have a great place VERY reasonable with the best views of all Charleston...It is on the top floor of the very ugly Holiday inn riverview, which sits between two highways and two rivers...you can see the city lights, the shrimp boats coming in and out...
I had the best shrimp there, was so meaty and fresh, unlike any other! Rooftop Harborview restaurant. You can see Dolphins on the Ashley River...
I can't wait to go back there
[tr]Holiday Inn Charleston - Riverview, SC located in Charleston at 301 Savannah Highway, U.S. Highway 17, CHARLESTON, SC, 29407 UNITED STATES
[/td][/tr][/table]

We enjoyed eating at the Hominy Grill in Charleston - great shrimp & grits and buttermilk pie. In Savannah, we had a great lunch at B. Matthews and you have to go to the little museum where they keep the statue from the cover of 'the book' (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil).

All I can say is take your meds before you come to the South - Paula Deen believes in butter, lots of fried food and veggies cooked with animal fat or lard.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Make sure you go with cash if you go to Mrs. Wilkes....they do not take CC at all! I'm sure you looked it up on line, but if not here's a link to their website: www.mrswilkes.com/ We ate there but not all that impressed with the food quality, especially for the money. Just a FYI, I feel the same way about Paula's restaurant.....I would highly recommend Olde Pink House, we finally went there on our last visit in July. www.americascuisine.com/georgia/savannah/TheOldePinkHouse/menu.aspx
While in Savannah, you have to go inside St. John the Baptist Church (E. Harris), it's absolutely beautiful and it's a nice place to go in to cool off a bit. Don't forget Juliette Gordon Lowe's house (founder of the Girl Scouts) www.juliettegordonlowbirthplace.org/
In Savannah on street parking is free after 5pm and on the weekends! I believe the parking garages are either free or very cheap those times too.
When are you going? I love Charleston & Savannah!

Charleston? I have a great place VERY reasonable with the best views of all Charleston...It is on the top floor of the very ugly Holiday inn riverview, which sits between two highways and two rivers...you can see the city lights, the shrimp boats coming in and out...
I had the best shrimp there, was so meaty and fresh, unlike any other! Rooftop Harborview restaurant. You can see Dolphins on the Ashley River...
I can't wait to go back there
[tr]Holiday Inn Charleston - Riverview, SC located in Charleston at 301 Savannah Highway, U.S. Highway 17, CHARLESTON, SC, 29407 UNITED STATES
[/td][/tr][/table]
Thank you all for the information. We leave Momday and return Sunday. It will be a fun trip and the weather will be perfect. I am writing down all the places you all said. Thanks so much.

Sorry but I hear they are nothing but tourist traps.THere is nothing I would want to eat at either of these places...sorry...just not my taste in food.
I used to love Paula, but the more I hear the less I like.

Be careful as there are plenty of - as CL said tourist traps with overpriced awful food. My sister and bil went and I told them some great places to go and came back totally dissappointed, they stayed in some old hotel and had crappy food the entire time they were there.
Expect to wait in line for hours to get into Lady and Sons. Okay if it is not stinkin' hot and humid. We ate at another tourist trap and had the worst food of my life, this is how bad it was - I actually asked for a bite from our child's kid meal! I was so hungry afterward.
You will have to report back what you found. I am ready to go back to Charleston...

Be careful as there are plenty of - as CL said tourist traps with overpriced awful food. My sister and bil went and I told them some great places to go and came back totally dissappointed, they stayed in some old hotel and had crappy food the entire time they were there.
Expect to wait in line for hours to get into Lady and Sons. Okay if it is not stinkin' hot and humid. We ate at another tourist trap and had the worst food of my life, this is how bad it was - I actually asked for a bite from our child's kid meal! I was so hungry afterward.
You will have to report back what you found. I am ready to go back to Charleston....
See that is what I think. Who wants to stand in line for hours just to get "institutionalized" Southern Food. It's not like Paula and the boys are back cookin' for ya!
I just don't see the point...fried chicken, collard greens and mac and cheese...sorry....not what I want to eat when I go on vacation...or for that matter anytime.

Try going on yelp.com I just did briefly and there is a lot of information about good restaurants, etc. I found something that looks interesting called "The Savannah Foodie Tour". Seems they take you on a small bus (you can walk also) to 8 different locations where you get the restaurants speciality dish and the foodie tour guide is very interesting. Sounds kind of fun!
I like the yelp reviews better than TA for many reasons, but I find them much less manipulated, if you know what I mean.
Have a great time!

Make sure you go with cash if you go to Mrs. Wilkes....they do not take CC at all! I'm sure you looked it up on line, but if not here's a link to their website: www.mrswilkes.com/ We ate there but not all that impressed with the food quality, especially for the money. Just a FYI, I feel the same way about Paula's restaurant.....I would highly recommend Olde Pink House, we finally went there on our last visit in July. www.americascuisine.com/georgia/savannah/TheOldePinkHouse/menu.aspx
While in Savannah, you have to go inside St. John the Baptist Church (E. Harris), it's absolutely beautiful and it's a nice place to go in to cool off a bit. Don't forget Juliette Gordon Lowe's house (founder of the Girl Scouts) www.juliettegordonlowbirthplace.org/
In Savannah on street parking is free after 5pm and on the weekends! I believe the parking garages are either free or very cheap those times too.
When are you going? I love Charleston & Savannah!.
GeorgiaGirl said:
My parents used to live near Savannah, and years ago Miz Wilkes was entertaining, but the food even back then was just okay. But I bought the cookbook to find many of the recipes used " a can of this and a can of that" so I was not so impressed
Now the Pink House was wonderful. If it's still the same you can dine in the more expensive upstairs (the first restaurant that I ever was in that gave a menu to the ladies without prices and you didn't dare to ask the waiter to ask the chef for something with any changes as the chef would throw a tantrum).
There was also a cafe downstairs in the ground or basement level that was less expensive and just as wonderful. My mother used to love the Monte Cristo sandwich and my dad was always trying to get their mixed drink formulas from them.
Riki

When are you going? I love Charleston & Savannah!.
GeorgiaGirl said:
My parents used to live near Savannah, and years ago Miz Wilkes was entertaining, but the food even back then was just okay. But I bought the cookbook to find many of the recipes used " a can of this and a can of that" so I was not so impressed
Now the Pink House was wonderful. If it's still the same you can dine in the more expensive upstairs (the first restaurant that I ever was in that gave a menu to the ladies without prices and you didn't dare to ask the waiter to ask the chef for something with any changes as the chef would throw a tantrum).
There was also a cafe downstairs in the ground or basement level that was less expensive and just as wonderful. My mother used to love the Monte Cristo sandwich and my dad was always trying to get their mixed drink formulas from them.
Riki
I had never tried the Olde Pink House but wanted to and on our last trip you recommended it so we went and had a really great meal! I believe they still have the cafe downstairs but we ate upstairs. Neat place!

Back