Musty smell solutions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverspoon

Reaction score
For the first time we have a musty smell in the downstairs suite. It has been running colder than normal since we closed the house this winter, so it has ranged from 52-56 degrees throughout the winter months. I suspect the old books in the room's library so will finally get DH to box those family treasures up and sell them or pass them on. But what if it is not the books causing the smell? There is only a crawl space under this suite and the winter here has been horrific with snow and cold. Very unusual.
I have ordered some Kan berry gel, used in marine environments, thinking that it will provide some extra protection in case removing the books does not help. Any other thoughts? That room has already been parred down, with only the bedding and some light valences for fabric, low nap area rugs, no canopy and relatively newly painted walls. I am open to any other suggestions. Bring 'em on!

Put some vanilla in a small bowl in the room. It will absorb the odor.

When we came home from vacation last year the whole house smelled like that. I opened windows when I could, turned the heat up to 70 all day when the windows were closed. My assumption was it was something damp. Tried the air sprays. Nothing worked. The last remaining place the smell lingered (for over a month) was our bedroom. At that point I thought it might actually be something dead in the attic space.
Wish I had a magic wand. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again this year. If it does, I'm sleeping in the inn until it goes away. DH doesn't notice it at all.

My guess might be ? Do you have a rug in the room. If so it may come from there! When we took our motor home out after the winter it smelled musty also. I cleaned all the wall and washed all the cupboards floors, and thought there I got it ! But when I return back the next week it had that smell. So the only thing left unturned was all the rugs. So called my man he came to the site and cleaned all my rugs. Yes ! yes it was my rugs. As the man said rugs trap moisture and if they were dust or dirty and get damp cause of the lack of heat to keep them dry . Ummm I thought most strange I never heard that before . But I had nothing to lose at this point so, He cleaned all my rugs . Gone went the smell . It really did work for us.

They make several moisture capturing products which do help in small areas, ( have used and they work) but for a large room you may consider trying a larger, cheaper version:
Cat litter with baking soda in a litter box or dish pan.

Do you have a dehumidfier in there? That could help draw out moisture in the room. Ventilation is also needed. IF room was at that low temp, then I would expect some odor. It has been an unusual winter for sure.

For us, it's always moisture. Year 'round we rotate our dehumidifier to all the guest rooms whenever possible. We have one room that's a corner unit, so 2 walls exposed to wet, damp outside is the worst. If it's a musty smell, it's probably dampness somewhere and if it's more rank than that, look in your crawlspace. There might be a dead rodent.
We also have an ionizing machine. Expensive, but works, especially if it's between check-out & check-in.

Do you have a humidity gage? Anything between 0 and 25% is too dry. Put the humidifier on. 25% to 55% is comfort zone. Enjoy. 55% to 100% is too wet. Put the dehumidifier on. The past few years and having excessive moisture, our basement stinks in the summer.. The dehumidifier takes out gallons and gallons of water. I empty it every day. It does the trick but adds to the electric bill. Not sure what to do if iit is in the fabrics and carpets or books.

Magic zymes is a good odor remover if you are able to treat the cause. They have both pump spray bottles and jars of the stuff that can be left open in each room.

Any time this comes up, concern of mold. If continues, might want to consult expert...

Thanks everyone....as usual you have come through with thoughtful suggestions. So....first we are removing the books and will push the heat in the room up to 60 degrees. It is way too cold to open the windows yet but once the temps stay above freezing outside I will turn the ductless, split AC/heat on in the library to both warm and dehumidify the area.
I really think it is the books, so when we remove the really old ones I'll put some of the Kan berra gel on the shelves to pick up any lingering mildew smell. (We advertise that suite as having its own library/sitting room so I can't get rid of all of them!) We also have some magiczymes that we can double up with.
I am pretty sure the low nap rugs are not the problem, but if the odor persists I'll pull them out temporarily and see if that helps. No wallpaper in that room, no drapes either. A couple of the roller shades have spotted from guests leaving the windows open during rain so I will replace those as well.
Bleach the bathroom, wash the walls...keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone....as usual you have come through with thoughtful suggestions. So....first we are removing the books and will push the heat in the room up to 60 degrees. It is way too cold to open the windows yet but once the temps stay above freezing outside I will turn the ductless, split AC/heat on in the library to both warm and dehumidify the area.
I really think it is the books, so when we remove the really old ones I'll put some of the Kan berra gel on the shelves to pick up any lingering mildew smell. (We advertise that suite as having its own library/sitting room so I can't get rid of all of them!) We also have some magiczymes that we can double up with.
I am pretty sure the low nap rugs are not the problem, but if the odor persists I'll pull them out temporarily and see if that helps. No wallpaper in that room, no drapes either. A couple of the roller shades have spotted from guests leaving the windows open during rain so I will replace those as well.
Bleach the bathroom, wash the walls...keep our fingers crossed!.
Once books "smell" - it is near imp[ossible to get the smell out. They will infect any other book you have. I took some books to a second-hand book store and she refused them because of that. I did not realize they had an odor - but they did have a slight odor when I smelled them going home. I go to Half price from the clearance rack - $1 or $2 each. I also bet books at the Library that are being cycled out @ 50 cents per for hardbacks. I only have hardbacks in the "To Be Stolen" racks.

Once books "smell" - it is near imp[ossible to get the smell out. They will infect any other book you have. I took some books to a second-hand book store and she refused them because of that. I did not realize they had an odor - but they did have a slight odor when I smelled them going home. I go to Half price from the clearance rack - $1 or $2 each. I also bet books at the Library that are being cycled out @ 50 cents per for hardbacks. I only have hardbacks in the "To Be Stolen" racks.
Some of the books go back to the late 1800's with family names on them. DH will be sad to see them go. Maybe we can give them to his nephew, although the younger generation does not seem to care much for hard books.
broken_heart.gif

I have just boxed up the oldest (100 year+) of the books and was able to bleach the mildew on the window shades. turned the heat up to 60 degrees and bleached the terry cloth cover on the window seat in the bathroom.
My nose is "bleached-out" at the moment so I will have to wait a while to clear my head before heading back into the room to give it the sniff test.

It sounds like you have covered them all. I doubt the scatter matts will have any problems with musty smell. Heat will help too. But it sounds like all will be A Ok! whew! sure is a lot of work for sure.

Some of the books go back to the late 1800's with family names on them. DH will be sad to see them go. Maybe we can give them to his nephew, although the younger generation does not seem to care much for hard books.
broken_heart.gif

I have just boxed up the oldest (100 year+) of the books and was able to bleach the mildew on the window shades. turned the heat up to 60 degrees and bleached the terry cloth cover on the window seat in the bathroom.
My nose is "bleached-out" at the moment so I will have to wait a while to clear my head before heading back into the room to give it the sniff test.
Contact a college or university Library or as your State Dept of Culture & History or State Library if the IS a way to "de-stink" old books. With books that old, I would do everything possible. If it was "just" books no, I would take the word of that book seller. I did not realize these were "treasures". Please check with those Libraries.

If the source of the smell is books and you want to keep them, here is what I suggest you do with those books....
Buy some kitty litter and put them in a ziplock with the kitty litter. Then put the books in the freezer overnight (to kill all bacteria). The next day, put the books in a nice dry place and let the kitty litter absorb the humidity and the smell. About a week later, put in a used dryer sheet. (You can also use silica gel, if you have it.)
For the room, if the rooms is cold and damp you need to dry it. You need to warm it up, get a dehumidifier in there and bring in a bag or two of kitty litter to absorb the damp and smell. Once the room is back to "normal" you can use charcoal to absorb the smell and spray with vodka with a little vanilla to mask the smell and get rid of it. Vodka won't put humidity back in the air, as it will dry and disappear quickly.

broken_heart.gif

If you want to keep the ones that are family hand me downs, try a couple of these things:
Sunshine - if you can lay the books out on a tarp on a sunny, slightly breezy day you may lose some of the smell.
Cold - if you can pack the books in plastic and put them in the freezer for a few weeks that might help.
You can combine sunny and cold right now by putting them outside out of the way of any dripping from snow thawing.
Before worrying about them too much, other than sentimental value, look them up online on a reputable book selling directory like abebooks. They may not be 'worth' anything but the sentiment.
If they are valuable books (very few in existence, town documents, famous authors, first editions) you might be able to find a college library that will take them and do conservation. Rather than tossing them in the dump.
I had some very valuable theater magazines from the 20's that stunk to high heaven. I put them in individual, sealed plastic bags and sold them 'as is'. They sold. There's a market for everything valuable. But not every old thing is valuable.
While you do some research, put them in a plastic bin so they don't bother you. You can throw in some silica pods to dry them out otherwise they'll get worse.

yes be really careful with 'spots' in books - these are living, growing mold spores that will continue to grow and spread - you have to stop them.
i found this method online and have been using it for a long time.
i use the really big size zipper freezer bags, put in the book - no more than 3 or so to a bag, sprinkle in a little baking soda (not a lot, just a little) and seal tight. good advantage to adding baking soda is you can turn the bag and shake it and if none comes out the bag is sealed. FREEZE the books. we have a chest freezer that shows the temperature and you don't want to just cool the books, you want to freeze them.
after a couple weeks, i change out the bags and baking soda and freeze again.
the baking soda will absorb the odors. the freezing will kill most of the mold. i guess it won't kill mold spores in a lab test. but it's pretty effective for what i need.
when finished, just clear out the baking soda, wipe them down with a clean cloth (old tshirts are great for this)
i have a few really old books that i've rescued this way. they have value to me ... but probably not on the market.

yes be really careful with 'spots' in books - these are living, growing mold spores that will continue to grow and spread - you have to stop them.
i use the really big size zipper freezer bags, put in the book - no more than 3 or so to a bag, sprinkle in a little baking soda (not a lot, just a little) and seal tight. good advantage to adding baking soda is you can turn the bag and shake it and if none comes out the bag is sealed. FREEZE the books. we have a chest freezer that shows the temperature and you don't want to just cool the books, you want to freeze them.
the baking soda will absorb the odors. the freezing will kill most of the mold. i guess it won't kill mold spores in a lab test. but it's pretty effective for what i need.
when finished, just clear out the baking soda, wipe them down with a clean cloth (old tshirts are great for this)
i have a few really old books that i've rescued this way. they have value to me ... but probably not on the market..
Yes - the potential damage and liability to your B&B/inn is the reputation or suspicion of black mold. Get the books out ASAP, clean up, and don't let anyone near any areas that smell musty/moldy...

i have a few really old books that i've rescued this way. they have value to me ... but probably not on the market..
Yes - the potential damage and liability to your B&B/inn is the reputation or suspicion of black mold. Get the books out ASAP, clean up, and don't let anyone near any areas that smell musty/moldy...
undersea said:
You don't live in areas where it's humid do you? That damp smell lingers in basements without black mold. It's just 'basement smell'. I don't like it but it is what it is.

Back