Musty Towels

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only had a problem with this when towels go unused for a period of time. I can't say I have noticed it more with one color than another. I do have more of a problem with musty sheets than towels. I keep specific 'fancy' sheet sets for special occasions like honeymoons. These are lovely embrodered sets and often get musty between uses. Unfortunately, I have no other option but to rewash and press them. I wish I could find an easier way.
Maybe I could store them in plastic with a scented dryer sheet ...
lightbulb.gif
Storing them in plastic will only be worse. Storing with a dryer sheet would make them toxic.
Towels smell because of bacteria and oils coming off our bodies. It is impossible to kill the bacteria with detergent and water - you need bleach!!! You will not kill e. coli unless you use bleach. Think about where those face cloths and towels go!!!
ginocat said:
Towels smell because of bacteria and oils coming off our bodies. It is impossible to kill the bacteria with detergent and water - you need bleach!!! You will not kill e. coli unless you use bleach.
That's all well and good, but what would you suggest for those of us on septic systems? Chlorine bleach does not discriminate between e.coli and beneficial bacteria that break down waste.
DW uses Oxyclean and it seems to work well.

I have only had a problem with this when towels go unused for a period of time. I can't say I have noticed it more with one color than another. I do have more of a problem with musty sheets than towels. I keep specific 'fancy' sheet sets for special occasions like honeymoons. These are lovely embrodered sets and often get musty between uses. Unfortunately, I have no other option but to rewash and press them. I wish I could find an easier way.
lightbulb.gif
Storing them in plastic will only be worse. Storing with a dryer sheet would make them toxic.
Towels smell because of bacteria and oils coming off our bodies. It is impossible to kill the bacteria with detergent and water - you need bleach!!! You will not kill e. coli unless you use bleach. Think about where those face cloths and towels go!!!
ginocat said:
Towels smell because of bacteria and oils coming off our bodies. It is impossible to kill the bacteria with detergent and water - you need bleach!!! You will not kill e. coli unless you use bleach.
That's all well and good, but what would you suggest for those of us on septic systems? Chlorine bleach does not discriminate between e.coli and beneficial bacteria that break down waste.
That's not true. Antibacterial agents do not discriminate. Bleach does not do the same thing as antibacterial agents. Anyway, If I have a load of towels that might have e.coli on them I will NOT worry about good bacteria being killed on those towels. Apparently chlorine bleach is quite safe in septics. Nobody is talking about using a cupful at a time. You only need a small amount to kill e.coli. And yes, an oxygen bleach will also disinfect.
We should not use anti-bacterial soaps and cleaners on ourselves or in the kitchen because they kill good bacteria that we need.

I use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser..
Innkeep said:
I use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.
What does that do? Doesn't it make your laundry smell like pickles???
The Farmers Daughter said:
Innkeep said:
I use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.
What does that do? Doesn't it make your laundry smell like pickles???
Yes it does if you use too much. Vinegar is a neutralizer and antibacterial/disinfectant. Kills mold. Beyond all the fantastic uses for it in the human body, it is a great product for laundry and cleaning (even windows)
wink_smile.gif

lightbulb.gif
ginocat said:
That's not true. Antibacterial agents do not discriminate. Bleach does not do the same thing as antibacterial agents. Anyway, If I have a load of towels that might have e.coli on them I will NOT worry about good bacteria being killed on those towels. Apparently chlorine bleach is quite safe in septics. Nobody is talking about using a cupful at a time. You only need a small amount to kill e.coli. And yes, an oxygen bleach will also disinfect.
We should not use anti-bacterial soaps and cleaners on ourselves or in the kitchen because they kill good bacteria that we need.
ginocat said:
Apparently chlorine bleach is quite safe in septics.
I was wrong! I admit it. I fall on my sword!
cry_smile.gif

From Wikipedia:
No emissions of sodium hypochlorite from normal household or institutional use find their way directly to the environment. Sodium hypochlorite degrades quickly, primarily to sodium chloride, during use or in sewage systems. It also decomposes in soil, primarily to salt. Typical use was found to be not harmful to sewage treatment or septic tanks

lightbulb.gif
ginocat said:
ginocat said:
cry_smile.gif

From Wikipedia:
No emissions of sodium hypochlorite from normal household or institutional use find their way directly to the environment. Sodium hypochlorite degrades quickly, primarily to sodium chloride, during use or in sewage systems. It also decomposes in soil, primarily to salt. Typical use was found to be not harmful to sewage treatment or septic tanks
Here's an article on the subject. I have a friend who has been on septic for 30 years and has always used a little bleach in her laundry and never had a problem. We are not talking huge amounts. Sorry for the bold type, I can't get rid of it.[/h3]Is chlorine bleach safe for a septic system?[/h3]According to experts, if a septic system is operating properly and correctly sized for the home, normal use of chlorine bleach shouldn’t be a problem. By the time bleach is discharged from the washing machine, it is largely broken down and not toxic to the bacteria in your septic system. Septic system users should be careful about quantities of any household chemicals and avoid disposing of chemicals by dumping them down the drain.
There are some concerns with chlorine bleach generally, however, and we think consumers should try to minimize its use and choose alternatives when possible. When chlorine bleach is used, it reacts with soil and other chemicals on surfaces to form small amounts of a large number of chemical compounds, some of which are quite toxic, for example chloroform and carbon tetrachloride. Chlorine bleach is reactive and forms toxic byproducts if mixed with ammonia or strong acids. The more concentrated (“ultra”) bleaches now available may be corrosive to skin or eye tissue (check the label for the word Danger).

Here's another article on the subject of e.coli, towels, underwear and bleach. This subject is under discussion on a Canadian forum.
------------------
Well, you aren't safe using your top loader either. Here's an interesting article that backs up the use of bleach (or another solution that I'd only barely heard of and had dismissed) Please note that the e coli can exist in the load following washing your undies, too. Also note that a high heat in drying is effective. Darn. Hate using bleach. Darn, hate using high heat in a dryer. Will have to reconsider bleach with underwear. So thanks for the heads up. Note also, you should always let dishes dry thoroughly to ensure bacteria is not present. If you eat on the ferries, refuse to use those wet dishes, trays et al.

Here's the article, hope you read it all:
An investigation has gone underway into the 2005 outbreak of E-coli in the UK in which over 150 people fell ill and one little boy died. But did you know that it's not unlikely that E-coli bacteria are running havoc in your washing machine right now?
Washing machines can build up quite a repertoire of dangerous germs. Environmental microbiologist Charles Gerba, microbiology professor at the University of Arizona's soil, water and environmental sciences department, says it's a myth that bacteria such as E-coli and salmonella thrive only in kitchens.
The professor pointed out that there are an awful lot of germs to be found in your home laundry due to dirty underwear. This is hardly public knowledge because most research into laundry germs focuses on pathogens- disease-causing microorganisms in hospital environments.
But Gerba believes that ordinary households are filled to the brim with all kinds of coliform bacteria too. E-coli bacteria originate in feces and often lurks around in washing machines persistently. You should not be surprised to find it in the load following the one in which you've washed your underwear. Of the 100 households that Gerba examined for a research project sponsored by a US chlorine company, 60 percent of washing machines had coliform bacteria and in about 10 percent he found E-coli.
E-coli bacteria tend to get killed in the permanent press drying cycle. But in case they don't, the experts advice that you use bleach in the good old fashioned way that your grandmother applied the stuff. You can find many non chlorine based, environmentally friendly bleach products that are effective. And using bleach is easy too; just run an extra rinse at the end of the washing cycle and throw some of it in the dispenser. It doesn't require hot water, Gerba said.
If you want in-depth advice on environmental bleaches, check out laundry-alternative.com's information.
If you are not into bleach, you can also consider using a type of liquid silver called colloidal silver. This is tipped to be effective at fighting bugs.
Samsung even brought a washing machine on the market that targets bugs specifically. It's called the Silver Nano Health System washing machine. It comes with silver electrodes which upon contact with cold water produce nano sized ions. These tiny particles prevent bacteria from reproducing. Your clothes will be protected from E-coli as well as salmonella, hepatitis A, adenovirus and rotavirus (not scaring you, but just so you know) for up to 30 days after having washed your clothes.

lightbulb.gif
ginocat said:
ginocat said:
cry_smile.gif

From Wikipedia:
Here's an article on the subject. I have a friend who has been on septic for 30 years and has always used a little bleach in her laundry and never had a problem. We are not talking huge amounts. Sorry for the bold type, I can't get rid of it.[/h3]Is chlorine bleach safe for a septic system?[/h3]According to experts, if a septic system is operating properly and correctly sized for the home, normal use of chlorine bleach shouldn’t be a problem. By the time bleach is discharged from the washing machine, it is largely broken down and not toxic to the bacteria in your septic system. Septic system users should be careful about quantities of any household chemicals and avoid disposing of chemicals by dumping them down the drain.
There are some concerns with chlorine bleach generally, however, and we think consumers should try to minimize its use and choose alternatives when possible. When chlorine bleach is used, it reacts with soil and other chemicals on surfaces to form small amounts of a large number of chemical compounds, some of which are quite toxic, for example chloroform and carbon tetrachloride. Chlorine bleach is reactive and forms toxic byproducts if mixed with ammonia or strong acids. The more concentrated (“ultra”) bleaches now available may be corrosive to skin or eye tissue (check the label for the word Danger).
We've been on wells and septic systems for 28 years in two different locations. We have always used bleach. No problems that I am aware of.

Here's another article on the subject of e.coli, towels, underwear and bleach. This subject is under discussion on a Canadian forum.
------------------
Well, you aren't safe using your top loader either. Here's an interesting article that backs up the use of bleach (or another solution that I'd only barely heard of and had dismissed) Please note that the e coli can exist in the load following washing your undies, too. Also note that a high heat in drying is effective. Darn. Hate using bleach. Darn, hate using high heat in a dryer. Will have to reconsider bleach with underwear. So thanks for the heads up. Note also, you should always let dishes dry thoroughly to ensure bacteria is not present. If you eat on the ferries, refuse to use those wet dishes, trays et al.

Here's the article, hope you read it all:
An investigation has gone underway into the 2005 outbreak of E-coli in the UK in which over 150 people fell ill and one little boy died. But did you know that it's not unlikely that E-coli bacteria are running havoc in your washing machine right now?
Washing machines can build up quite a repertoire of dangerous germs. Environmental microbiologist Charles Gerba, microbiology professor at the University of Arizona's soil, water and environmental sciences department, says it's a myth that bacteria such as E-coli and salmonella thrive only in kitchens.
The professor pointed out that there are an awful lot of germs to be found in your home laundry due to dirty underwear. This is hardly public knowledge because most research into laundry germs focuses on pathogens- disease-causing microorganisms in hospital environments.
But Gerba believes that ordinary households are filled to the brim with all kinds of coliform bacteria too. E-coli bacteria originate in feces and often lurks around in washing machines persistently. You should not be surprised to find it in the load following the one in which you've washed your underwear. Of the 100 households that Gerba examined for a research project sponsored by a US chlorine company, 60 percent of washing machines had coliform bacteria and in about 10 percent he found E-coli.
E-coli bacteria tend to get killed in the permanent press drying cycle. But in case they don't, the experts advice that you use bleach in the good old fashioned way that your grandmother applied the stuff. You can find many non chlorine based, environmentally friendly bleach products that are effective. And using bleach is easy too; just run an extra rinse at the end of the washing cycle and throw some of it in the dispenser. It doesn't require hot water, Gerba said.
If you want in-depth advice on environmental bleaches, check out laundry-alternative.com's information.
If you are not into bleach, you can also consider using a type of liquid silver called colloidal silver. This is tipped to be effective at fighting bugs.
Samsung even brought a washing machine on the market that targets bugs specifically. It's called the Silver Nano Health System washing machine. It comes with silver electrodes which upon contact with cold water produce nano sized ions. These tiny particles prevent bacteria from reproducing. Your clothes will be protected from E-coli as well as salmonella, hepatitis A, adenovirus and rotavirus (not scaring you, but just so you know) for up to 30 days after having washed your clothes..
My hot tub has the silver whatever system along with an ozonator for water purification. I do have to add a bit of chemical to keep the silver thing active but my water is sparkling.

I have a septic system and learned the hard way that those bacteria don't like straight bleach. I always flush a couple of times after cleaning the toilet to dilute the water, in order to prevent a backlash of swamp gas coming back up the drains.

Back