My biggest nightmare has happened... bed bugs!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole thread is giving me nightmares.
How do you prevent?.
You can't prevent.. you just have to be aware and on guard.
people will drag them into your place with suitcases etc. Use encasements on your mattress and box springs and just be vigilant to check when cleaning.

How do you prevent?.
TheBeachHouse said:
How do you prevent?
Put a closed sign on the front door, that is the only way to prevent it. The more traveled your guests the more likely you will get it. It is the opposite to what most people think. It has nothing to do with being dirty. It happens in the best establishments.

Wish y'all would call them BBs rather than spelling it out!
Spelling it out means potential guests Googling the subject might arrive at this website!.
yes let's get that changed. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the post.

Wish y'all would call them BBs rather than spelling it out!
Spelling it out means potential guests Googling the subject might arrive at this website!.
yes let's get that changed. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the post.
I refrained from replying too, hoping a language change would occur before someone replied and editing no longer possible. I live in fear of this too and am on constant guard. Have taken all recommended precautions. If it happens, don't know if any local company does the heat treatment. May have to send to the big city. Almost, Almost, makes you nostalgic for DDT.

In regards to bites and itches, why someone has them and someone not.
This August has been terribly hot in my city, for 2 weeks straight we have over 33-35 degrees Celsius.
Because of this, fleas started spreading across the city, especially in the shade of older houses.
Somehow it happened that we brought back from somewhere a couple of fleas, directly to our bedroom.
For about 5-7 days I was waking up in the morning with a couple of new bites, nasty ones, around my ankles and on my torso. The wife? None. Not a single bite.
The same thing with mosquitoes - I always get bitten wherever I go, no matter the season. My wife? Never.
So the same thing with Voldemorts - they might roam in the same bed with 2 people, but one can be completely safe.
Go wonder...

In regards to bites and itches, why someone has them and someone not.
This August has been terribly hot in my city, for 2 weeks straight we have over 33-35 degrees Celsius.
Because of this, fleas started spreading across the city, especially in the shade of older houses.
Somehow it happened that we brought back from somewhere a couple of fleas, directly to our bedroom.
For about 5-7 days I was waking up in the morning with a couple of new bites, nasty ones, around my ankles and on my torso. The wife? None. Not a single bite.
The same thing with mosquitoes - I always get bitten wherever I go, no matter the season. My wife? Never.
So the same thing with Voldemorts - they might roam in the same bed with 2 people, but one can be completely safe.
Go wonder....
dumitru said:
Excellent pseudonym for BBs: they that shall not be named...except on this thread :-(

Hi All,
This fear of the use of terms has gotten a bit much. As near as I can tell, everyone that has admitted to having grappled with bedbugs is anonymous. Any that aren't anonymous are wise enough to steer clear of commenting on this thread.
The notion of potential guests finding it is a concern for anyone non-anon.
The notion of don't speak it or we'll attract spammers... for that logic we should stop mentioning the words soap, sink, robes, spammers, spam, carpet, stains, water, wine, credit cards..... we can't be afraid of using real words. Spammers get dealt with pretty cleanly and rapidly. That should not contribute to a fear to stop communicating in meaningful ways.
The longevity of this site requires attracting new members as well as just people in need of solutions (not everyone in need of a solution joins and participates). The truth is, the little bit of advertising revenue this site generates (not enough to pay its bills), comes more from the drive-bys in need of a solution than it does from the active membership. Offering a solution for an infestation of 'voldemorts' or 'thorns-in-our-sides' isn't going to help anyone.

That sounds awfully stressful... Not your fault though, everyone knows that even the fanciest places can get bedbugs if one guest brings them in. Good luck getting rid of every last one!
thumbs_up.gif

Hi All,
This fear of the use of terms has gotten a bit much. As near as I can tell, everyone that has admitted to having grappled with bedbugs is anonymous. Any that aren't anonymous are wise enough to steer clear of commenting on this thread.
The notion of don't speak it or we'll attract spammers... for that logic we should stop mentioning the words soap, sink, robes, spammers, spam, carpet, stains, water, wine, credit cards..... we can't be afraid of using real words. Spammers get dealt with pretty cleanly and rapidly. That should not contribute to a fear to stop communicating in meaningful ways.
The longevity of this site requires attracting new members as well as just people in need of solutions (not everyone in need of a solution joins and participates). The truth is, the little bit of advertising revenue this site generates (not enough to pay its bills), comes more from the drive-bys in need of a solution than it does from the active membership. Offering a solution for an infestation of 'voldemorts' or 'thorns-in-our-sides' isn't going to help anyone..
swirt said:
Offering a solution for an infestation of 'voldemorts' or 'thorns-in-our-sides' isn't going to help anyone.
Isn't going to help anyone? I just disagree. Of course, topics on "code words" won't attract or help people who aren't already frequenting this forum, but certainly it can help those of us already here who know the subject of the conversation.
We've offered many times to help with the expenses of this forum, and the offer stands.
This is a forum for innkeepers, and I will always work, through what I say and do not say, to keep it a place potential guests won't find.
I don't think guests are likely to recognize any particular anonymous inn participating here, but for the profession in general, it's better, I feel, for the guest to not happen onto this site and read what we're discussing here (all the topics covered here, not just the voldemorts).

Hi All,
The longevity of this site requires attracting new members as well as just people in need of solutions (not everyone in need of a solution joins and participates). The truth is, the little bit of advertising revenue this site generates (not enough to pay its bills), comes more from the drive-bys in need of a solution than it does from the active membership. Offering a solution for an infestation of 'voldemorts' or 'thorns-in-our-sides' isn't going to help anyone..
swirt said:
Offering a solution for an infestation of 'voldemorts' or 'thorns-in-our-sides' isn't going to help anyone.
Isn't going to help anyone? I just disagree. Of course, topics on "code words" won't attract or help people who aren't already frequenting this forum, but certainly it can help those of us already here who know the subject of the conversation.
We've offered many times to help with the expenses of this forum, and the offer stands.
This is a forum for innkeepers, and I will always work, through what I say and do not say, to keep it a place potential guests won't find.
I don't think guests are likely to recognize any particular anonymous inn participating here, but for the profession in general, it's better, I feel, for the guest to not happen onto this site and read what we're discussing here (all the topics covered here, not just the voldemorts).
Arks said:
swirt said:
You mean like the fruten glee bashing? er yeah... If nothing else, let this be a reminder to us all, instead of griping about the little issues that "bug" us, perhaps share great guest stories, and only major issues that bug us.
When I see the word BB with a pack of exclamation marks in a Google search page that is what I am concerned about, association. Especially when it is NOT a B&B, it is a motel with under $100 rates from what I recall, and 20 rooms. I am sorry if that is a bit harsh, but it is not a small family owned bed and breakfast. Yes, innkeeping is innkeeping, but a motel is a motel. Just wanted to clarify that point.
From the their first post here "My hubby and I just became the new managers for a 20-room motel down south"

This was the result of a spammer on an old thread. Perhaps this particular thread should disappear from the face of the earth.

Back