My Blog Site

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
I just wanted to post my blog site where I have been and will be adding info on our New England B&B trip! A lot of the posts I will go back in and edit to add more information, I just want to get each Inn started. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy!! Karen
http://georgiakarensblog.blogspot.com/

Yay! Thanks for posting that. KK did awhile back but I forgot where. This will make it easy to find.
Sorry about the truck traffic. Rt 1 is a major thoroughfare around here. Partly because trucks of a certain weight limit are not allowed on the real highways (pols screwed up on that one) and partly because there's no other way to get north along the coast.
Glad you liked the pies, they're famous for them!

That's great. If you edit your profile on here, there is a spot to create a link to your blog. If you need direction, see the FAQ's page.

I am interested in the Innkeeper interaction you have found. It was yourself and daughter (just two on the trip?) Let us know what you encountered.
regular_smile.gif

well, it is too bad i didn't get to meet you up my way out on the peninsula near marshall point light!
weather is foggy now, and the puffins are said to like fog!
interesting to read about the blackberry common because it looks gorgeous and peaceful on the website.
hope you have a nice trip the rest of the time.

I am interested in the Innkeeper interaction you have found. It was yourself and daughter (just two on the trip?) Let us know what you encountered.
regular_smile.gif
Yes, this trip is just me and my daughter.
At the Berry Manor Inn the guest fridge and coffee/tea was set up in the "Butler's Pantry" part of the kitchen so we would talk a little to the Innkeepers when we went in there, but we were only there 1 night. In the morning they were busy with breakfast and we really only talked to them during checkout. Cheryl was quite friendly then once she found out we knew about tripadvisor and bed & breakfast .com. They were not unfriendly I guess, just busy since they were full that night. Mike was friendly but didn't seem to be much of a talker, he mostly enjoyed turning on the singing hampsters and plastic turkey on the grill that sings on their dining room sideboard while he was wearing his flamingo hat while serving breakfast.........
Here at Blackberry Inn Jim is very friendly and has talked with us whenever we see him, although he does seem to "know where we are at, at all times...." his wife Cyndi has not been a big talker and I have really only seen her during the serving of breakfast. But they have both been friendly and welcoming while we have been here.
Any questions, just ask!

regular_smile.gif
At the Berry Manor Inn the guest fridge and coffee/tea was set up in the "Butler's Pantry" part of the kitchen so we would talk a little to the Innkeepers when we went in there, but we were only there 1 night. In the morning they were busy with breakfast and we really only talked to them during checkout. Cheryl was quite friendly then once she found out we knew about tripadvisor and bed & breakfast .com. They were not unfriendly I guess, just busy since they were full that night. Mike was friendly but didn't seem to be much of a talker, he mostly enjoyed turning on the singing hampsters and plastic turkey on the grill that sings on their dining room sideboard while he was wearing his flamingo hat while serving breakfast.........
Here at Blackberry Inn Jim is very friendly and has talked with us whenever we see him, although he does seem to "know where we are at, at all times...." his wife Cyndi has not been a big talker and I have really only seen her during the serving of breakfast. But they have both been friendly and welcoming while we have been here.
Any questions, just ask!
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Cheryl was quite friendly then once she found out we knew about tripadvisor and bed & breakfast .com.
OK, a couple of questions about that...how come she didn't know about you and bandb.com if that's how you were paying? And the comment makes it sound like you thought she was only friendly because of the possibility of a bad review. Is that how it came across? Or was she more interested in HOW you knew about all the innkeeping stuff?
Before you get further along in your trip...are you expecting a lot of interaction with the innkeepers all day? Or when they see you? Just curious. You're like my 'guinea pig' guest. Because I can ask you what you think without putting you on the spot!

regular_smile.gif
Any questions, just ask!
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Cheryl was quite friendly then once she found out we knew about tripadvisor and bed & breakfast .com.
OK, a couple of questions about that...how come she didn't know about you and bandb.com if that's how you were paying? And the comment makes it sound like you thought she was only friendly because of the possibility of a bad review. Is that how it came across? Or was she more interested in HOW you knew about all the innkeeping stuff?
Before you get further along in your trip...are you expecting a lot of interaction with the innkeepers all day? Or when they see you? Just curious. You're like my 'guinea pig' guest. Because I can ask you what you think without putting you on the spot!
I got a nice compliment last week from a guest who said she appreciated the opportunity to just "be" while she was here... meaning that she didn't have to spend a lot of time chatting with us, but we were available, that we went out on Friday night and left them here alone, which was a good thing for her. We did spend some time Thursday on the patio (all the guests and me, drinking wine), but even then it wasn't forced or over long, and everyone felt comfortable getting up when they were tired (which they all were).
I told her I knew they were here for a training seminar which can be emotionally draining, so I try not to be too demanding. She said, no, it was more than that, that once she'd gone with her husband on a trip and ended up having to sit with these elderly innkeepers for breakfast, "They were so cute. But I think they were lonely." I was wondering if she stayed at the same place JBJ had stayed at...
I do want to strike the right balance between available and overbearing, so it was nice to have some confirmation.
=) Kk.

The balance depends on EVERYTHING.
This lady spilled her whole cup of coffee and as I am running to get a cloth the other guest says "JBJ, How long have you been doing this?"
LIKE NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO CHAT? Sheesh!
The lady was embarrassed by the spill, still holding the cup, I was on clean up duty, and this other guest kept talking to me. I had not even served brekkie yet.
Clueless.
I am in here and letting THEM eat and chat. I will clear plates momentarily. Another couple opted to skip brekkie. I already did my "Song and Dance" hey KK is that in the glossary of Innkeeping terms? Song and dance being the ritualistic innkeepers morning routine for the guests, lest they think they are not receiving enough attention. Ha ha

regular_smile.gif
Any questions, just ask!
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
I got a nice compliment last week from a guest who said she appreciated the opportunity to just "be" while she was here... meaning that she didn't have to spend a lot of time chatting with us, but we were available, that we went out on Friday night and left them here alone, which was a good thing for her. We did spend some time Thursday on the patio (all the guests and me, drinking wine), but even then it wasn't forced or over long, and everyone felt comfortable getting up when they were tired (which they all were).
I told her I knew they were here for a training seminar which can be emotionally draining, so I try not to be too demanding. She said, no, it was more than that, that once she'd gone with her husband on a trip and ended up having to sit with these elderly innkeepers for breakfast, "They were so cute. But I think they were lonely." I was wondering if she stayed at the same place JBJ had stayed at...
I do want to strike the right balance between available and overbearing, so it was nice to have some confirmation.
=) Kk.
It is hard to strike the right balance, and you can have a house full of guests where some want a lot more and others want to be left alone. We have a British family here who are very interested in picking our brains and some others who prefer to be left to their own devices. You don't want to be one of those innkeepers who holds guests captive but you don't want to ignore anyone either. It's a skill not everybody has, and even if you have it, it's not necessarily spot on all the time.
Jeanne

I agree Jeanne, you have to read people well. Not everyone wants to have someone in their face, in fact some don't even want to see the innkeeper. Remember that Fodor's article/blog that was what they ALL commented on, intrusive innkeepers, no privacy, no place to go and be alone together.
I am that way. Although I am here with guests and have to meet their needs whatever they may be, I prefer my own space as a guest and to do my own thing. I won't pick brains, I will ask a question but mainly do my own research.
BTW I recommended you to another set of guests and told them specifically about your Thai restaurant. I had a memorable meal there, still stands out in my mind. DH had Phad Thai which was not as great as what I had. mmmm. From a guest point of view, I would recommend that place any day.
Seems there are alot of people traveling this same route this year, and it is kinda cool as I am knowing more of the Inns.

GG just stopped in with her daughter to say hi! They're making their way south now to K-bunk after shopping here and in Portland.
Tipsy, they saw your sign along the road and waved in your direction!

GG just stopped in with her daughter to say hi! They're making their way south now to K-bunk after shopping here and in Portland.
Tipsy, they saw your sign along the road and waved in your direction!.
LOL they did a drive by waving.

I think that is why some people are liking my upstairs suites. Remember they were apartments. So they can be alone or they can come down and talk to me.
they even have the hot water pots that Sue and I bought. So they can have tea or coffee from bags while relaxing there if they want.

regular_smile.gif
Any questions, just ask!
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Sorry I didn't get around to answering your question earlier!! We've been a little busy lately, LOL!!! You know I really don't know why Cheryl asked me if I knew about B&B.com....She asked that after she scanned my card and took my check. I don't think she was only friendly because she was worried about a bad review, when I really think about it she was just probably busy since she was going to have a full house that night.
Actually we don't like a lot of Innkeepers interaction. It's nice to just pretend like these beautiful houses are our own! I haven't been able to get online much since English Meadows didn't have great wireless strength. We are in The Silver Fountain in Dover, NH right now and so far this is a BEAUTIFUL Inn!

I think that is why some people are liking my upstairs suites. Remember they were apartments. So they can be alone or they can come down and talk to me.
they even have the hot water pots that Sue and I bought. So they can have tea or coffee from bags while relaxing there if they want..
That's awesome that your guests can have tea or coffee while they are in their rooms! Sometimes you just want something to drink when you have your face washed and are in your jammies!
regular_smile.gif

FYI, I was finally able to update my blog and edited a few of my posts with new info.

No water or juice with breakfast at that one place seems so strange! I have never heard of that! I put out water every morning regardless. Our weekly guests here take pills every morning, so they have them all lined up beside their water glass.

I just read through your latest blogs. So overall the two things that you have found #1 complimentary drinks are a must for you.
#2 you don't like wall paper
Of course like ourselves buying a 5200 sq foot home, the things that need attending (renovating, maintaining) first get our attention over the wall paper. I don't like it either, but even our rooms that looks like paint are paint over paper over wood panelling over plaster. Old houses had a lot of that since they were plaster and bumpy and lumpy. I would have ZERO wallpaper if it were my choice. But it is what it is.
#3 you don't want much interaction with the innkeepers, but want them friendly.
RE going out to greet guests while preparing breakfast, that is NOT the time we can greet guests and talk. We've got all burners going and we can chat with or after breakfast. My pet peeve is a guest who asks while I am refilling the creamer or something "So how long have you been doing this?" UGH! You ask me that right now while the stove is on, the oven is on, the plates are out?

Love your blog!!! It's fabulous not only to see a guest's perspective, but a guest traveling to so many different B&B's.
Thanks for sharing!
=)
Kk.

Back