My blog, take a peek, what do you think?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job! You're in good hands with Acorn and they can easily set up your address with your inn's name when it's time.
Have you gotten any local press yet? If not, send them a press release even at this early stage. The more you get your name in print, the better. Now that you have a blog, any PR you do can be given the blog address.
How exciting! Congrats. No wonder locals and passers-bye were stopping all the time to ask you things and take a look.

White Pine, see this is really helpful for us as we now can picture where you will be and how the whole operation will ensue. In my memories eye it was a highway motel in the woods. From the blog I see it as something altogether different! Thank you for sharing it with us and all the best! 2011 will be full of surprises for you!

White Pine, see this is really helpful for us as we now can picture where you will be and how the whole operation will ensue. In my memories eye it was a highway motel in the woods. From the blog I see it as something altogether different! Thank you for sharing it with us and all the best! 2011 will be full of surprises for you!.
Thanks J.B. I have learned so much and come so far with all the feedback. It is always valuable to hear others opinions and advice. Glad you could check it out, we do love it.

Looked at your video, indeed great, I love the view over the lake. You have plenty to but a great opportunity! Be careful not to overspend though, keep things simple at start!

Looked at your video, indeed great, I love the view over the lake. You have plenty to but a great opportunity! Be careful not to overspend though, keep things simple at start!.
Thanks for the feedback. We are waiting until we sell our home before we can do the interior. The exterior had to be done to stabilize the building. Check out the before and after video on the blog!
It has not sold yet, so next year we may have just the motel open, and focus on relatively minor upgrades there. We can use the extra time to plan carefully on the details of the lodge. We have also listed our second home downstate--hoping something will sell. We will not take out a loan in this economy!

i guess i missed the link to you blog ?? i'm not seeing it anywhere.
but congrats! it sounds wonderful...
i blog too! check it out ... www.inspiredbycharm.com.
four at four forty four said:
i blog too! check it out ... www.inspiredbycharm.com
Because she's not open yet, she removed the link to the blog.
Not quite sure who to ask, but would it be OK if I post it in the member blog area?

Not quite sure who to ask, but would it be OK if I post it in the member blog area?
white pine said:
Are you a member of this forum? (Answer is yes!) Post away.

white pine said:
Thanks! I added it--don't know why it didn't go to the bottom of the pile? I am above Brewster House?

white pine said:
Thanks! I added it--don't know why it didn't go to the bottom of the pile? I am above Brewster House?
white pine said:
I'm going to guess right now- you joined the forum before they did.

Looks good. Even if you are not open, you should get your blog set-up on a dedicated domain as soon as possible. Either as a subdomain or as a subdirectory. Yes things can always be forwarded later, but there are benefits to getting it in place now rather than later.
My only other suggestions are to make use of categories and have them displayed in the sidebar. This is preferable to the calendar archive display you are using currently... especially if the posts you are writing have some longevity (not dated info that will change rapidly).
As far as links... only add links you think will be useful to your potential guests. Don't just add them because somebody told you they are good for SEO. They often aren't if added just for the sake of SEO.
And yes the Member blogs are listed in order of user number and those are granted in order of when people sign up on this site.

Looks good. Even if you are not open, you should get your blog set-up on a dedicated domain as soon as possible. Either as a subdomain or as a subdirectory. Yes things can always be forwarded later, but there are benefits to getting it in place now rather than later.
My only other suggestions are to make use of categories and have them displayed in the sidebar. This is preferable to the calendar archive display you are using currently... especially if the posts you are writing have some longevity (not dated info that will change rapidly).
As far as links... only add links you think will be useful to your potential guests. Don't just add them because somebody told you they are good for SEO. They often aren't if added just for the sake of SEO.
And yes the Member blogs are listed in order of user number and those are granted in order of when people sign up on this site..
Thanks Swirt!
Am working with Acorn, they will work on the link to the blog, will ask them about subdomain. Am using a template, but will see if I can figure out how change the calendar to categories--I like that idea too. I thought the only links I have are to send people on to get more information about the topic of the post--did I do something wrong here? Really appreciate the feedback.

And yes the Member blogs are listed in order of user number and those are granted in order of when people sign up on this site..
Thanks Swirt!
Am working with Acorn, they will work on the link to the blog, will ask them about subdomain. Am using a template, but will see if I can figure out how change the calendar to categories--I like that idea too. I thought the only links I have are to send people on to get more information about the topic of the post--did I do something wrong here? Really appreciate the feedback.
I add outgoing links to the events or the locations I write about in my blog. I add internal links to other blog posts that are referenced in the new blog post. I also have links back to the appropriate pages on my website.
Your blog is done thru Blogger, right? If you go to 'Design' you will see where you can add the sections Swirt is talking about. I am also using an 'outside' template for my blog, but I can add sections that I have named 'Recipes', 'Things to Do', 'Upcoming Events' and things like that.
If you want to add a section containing links to your prior blog posts you can do that by selecting the design element under 'Add a Gadget' that is called 'Link List'. You select what that category is called and then add links to your previous posts. So, you could have a 'gadget' called 'History' and link to the posts you did about the history of the lodge. Then another 'gadget' called 'Renovations' and link to the posts about the work you're doing.
If you just want to post a non-linked list of things, then select 'List' from the list of gadgets.
Once you get into the gadgets list you'll see lots of options.

Thanks Swirt!
I add outgoing links to the events or the locations I write about in my blog. I add internal links to other blog posts that are referenced in the new blog post. I also have links back to the appropriate pages on my website.
Your blog is done thru Blogger, right? If you go to 'Design' you will see where you can add the sections Swirt is talking about. I am also using an 'outside' template for my blog, but I can add sections that I have named 'Recipes', 'Things to Do', 'Upcoming Events' and things like that.
If you want to add a section containing links to your prior blog posts you can do that by selecting the design element under 'Add a Gadget' that is called 'Link List'. You select what that category is called and then add links to your previous posts. So, you could have a 'gadget' called 'History' and link to the posts you did about the history of the lodge. Then another 'gadget' called 'Renovations' and link to the posts about the work you're doing.
If you just want to post a non-linked list of things, then select 'List' from the list of gadgets.
Thanks much AI!
I am using a blogger template, I will check into it! Still learning this stuff, not where I was, but not where I'm going yet...

Thanks Swirt!
Thanks much AI!
I am using a blogger template, I will check into it! Still learning this stuff, not where I was, but not where I'm going yet...
Forgot to add that when you write up a new blog post, you need to add a link to that post in the appropriate gadget. I forget to do this sometimes.

I missed your blog! would love to read it..
O.K. Cat is out I guess! Check member blogs here for Birch Lodge.
regular_smile.gif

Thanks Swirt!
Thanks much AI!
Forgot to add that when you write up a new blog post, you need to add a link to that post in the appropriate gadget. I forget to do this sometimes.
I re-did some labels and added a label gadget. It sorts all posts with that label and will pull up all in that category when it is clicked on. I think it works pretty well, easier than doing all the links. What do you think?

Thanks Swirt!
Thanks much AI!
I re-did some labels and added a label gadget. It sorts all posts with that label and will pull up all in that category when it is clicked on. I think it works pretty well, easier than doing all the links. What do you think?
I'm not a fan of labels and I dumped them after a few months. You might not be either once you have 50-100 blog posts and you start branching out with the labels. It looks untidy after awhile. Of course, there are other opinions out there!
Because you're just starting out, you might want to do both to see what you like. Going back and adding the links later is a pain in the patootie.
Right now it will take you a few seconds to add the link to a gadget. You don't have to do every single one that way, just the ones you want guests to easily find. And if you keep the links, you'll always be able to find everything you posted about.

Back