"My daughter and granddaughter want to stay with me..."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, just not in the mood for this one right now...get a call from a person who booked last month. I remember the call. She wanted a room with 2 beds, which I did not have. She said she would take a king bed instead if I would provide her with an extra blanket so one could sleep on top of the quilt while the other slept under. (This is her sister she's sharing with.)
She calls tonight to say she has a rez for tomorrow night in a room with a double & a twin. I don't have a setup like that but let her continue on with what she really wants to ask which is if she can have 4 guests in the room. I explain she booked a king room, one bed, not a room with 2 beds and we cannot have 4 in that particular room. She insists she booked a room with a double and twin and wants to know why I didn't give her that room.
Long story short, she says if all 4 can't stay in the room, she needs to cancel. I explain the cancellation policy and she says, 'Well, if you're going to charge me anyway, then we'll stop by and see if the room is still open and take it if it is.'
I reiterate that ony 2 may stay in that room, not 4.
I hope I book it. This is a circus act I don't want to be involved in.

This sounds interesting, please keep updating.....
Looks like she tried to get out of her rez?

I had something similar last week.
Month or two ago a lady booked for a Friday night... room with twin beds is all I have left, but that's OK, it's just her and maybe her son who is attending orientation.
Some time later she reads the confirmation or something, and emails that she will also be bringing her husband, but the son can sleep on the floor. Oh, and it's Thursday, right? Uh, no, it's Friday on one of our biggest weekends... and the room is so small that if son sleeps on floor they'll step on him. Well, he'll sleep in the van, we'll be there on Thursday. Great.
sad_smile.gif

So, I bump our long-term girl who is already having to move out on the weekend anyway, but dh is really unhappy about bumping her, and I'm unhappy about the son in the van, but oh well.
Week before the reservation she calls me and leaves a message [cell phone vibrates while I'm playing my clarinet at church, thank goodness I remembered to turn it to vibrate!] that she'll also be bringing her daughter, who'll sleep on the floor while son sleeps in the van. Uh, no.
I call her back later while sitting and watching hot air balloons with dh and long term stay guest and tell her she really needs to stay at the Not-So-Nice-As-Us-But-Very-Nearby Small Hotel as there is no way that room will work out for them. Had she been upstairs in the Art Department we could have worked it out, but that room, no way. Dh is like, "No! No! Tell her no!" I'm like, "Duh, of course no, but we can't just slam her." After all, son is in orientation, about to be a freshman... there will be other opportunities to have this lady family come and stay with us...
So, long-term girl got Thursday night. Friday went to the family member who was joining the other three rooms and didn't have to sleep on the sleep sofa. Family stayed at the H.I.E. Everyone is happy!
=)
Kk.

Looks like she tried to get out of her rez?.
Mooseberry Inn said:
That's what hubs thinks...that she is trying to get me to cancel her so she doesn't have to pay. She said, in a not too happy voice about the cancellation policy, 'Well, if that's how you have to run your business...'
I'm mostly annoyed because we were full so I have been turning away guests. It's a popular weekend for festivals.

Mooseberry Inn said:
That's what hubs thinks...that she is trying to get me to cancel her so she doesn't have to pay. She said, in a not too happy voice about the cancellation policy, 'Well, if that's how you have to run your business...'
I'm mostly annoyed because we were full so I have been turning away guests. It's a popular weekend for festivals.
Bree said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
I think she is as well. SO now what, change the whole way you operate - so confirmations state "You have resvered the Jane Doe room, max occup 3" or something? Our confirmations can be a 15 page letter with all these jerks trying to mess around with us.

Mooseberry Inn said:
Bree said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
I think she is as well. SO now what, change the whole way you operate - so confirmations state "You have resvered the Jane Doe room, max occup 3" or something? Our confirmations can be a 15 page letter with all these jerks trying to mess around with us.
My confirm DOES state what room and how many beds (and mentions the detached bath when applicable). Does not state maximum occupancy, but it's the work of a moment to add that!
The confirm already takes both sides of one sheet when I have to mail it out. Includes the pertinent policies and directions which came in handy last night when late arrival's taxi driver did not know where my TOWN was, much less where to go when he got to it.

Mooseberry Inn said:
Bree said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
My confirm DOES state what room and how many beds (and mentions the detached bath when applicable). Does not state maximum occupancy, but it's the work of a moment to add that!
The confirm already takes both sides of one sheet when I have to mail it out. Includes the pertinent policies and directions which came in handy last night when late arrival's taxi driver did not know where my TOWN was, much less where to go when he got to it.
I have the link in our confirmation to the directions/map on our website. Lots of folks have that printed out & in their hand when they arrive. Keeps the actual confirmation slightly shorter. As you know with our rez system, the policies are automatically added on that confirmation...and they are lengthy.

Mooseberry Inn said:
Bree said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
I have the link in our confirmation to the directions/map on our website. Lots of folks have that printed out & in their hand when they arrive. Keeps the actual confirmation slightly shorter. As you know with our rez system, the policies are automatically added on that confirmation...and they are lengthy.
Good idea about the link to the map! I'll see if I can figure out where to add that.

An update...the room has not booked. The guest just contacted me to ask if the room had been taken so she didn't have to pay. I told her it had not. 'Well, do you have a vacancy sign out?' Yes, I do, as a matter of fact.
"We're going to get dinner and if it hasn't booked by then, you are trying, aren't you, then we'll be over."
I reiterated that the room is only for 2. She reiterated that it is 'only her daughter and granddaughter.'
Holy cow. She then said, 'I guess we'll have to split up if you won't take all of us. I guess those are your rules.'
Saints preserve me.

This is not looking good. She hasn't called and she hasn't showed up. We're wondering now if this is going to be some sort of standoff..."I tried to get in but the place was locked up tight, I don't see why I should pay."

Looks like this is a tough one, sorry you have to deal with such people.
I hope all works out in your favor, she don't show, you charge her card and you never hear from her again....

Back