My first customer dispute

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what my cancellation policy says. I think you need to spell it out clearly and simply.
**Please note I have a 14 day less $50 cancel policy. This means that there is a $50 cancel fee effective from time of booking and the full amount will be charged for cancellations received any time after (put the actual date the full amount kicks in)/09. We do accept Visa or Mastercard but cash or Travellers Cheques are appreciated.
If someone is booking 14 days or less before arrival date I will say:-
**Please note that I have a 14 day cancel policy. This means that effective from time of booking the full amount will be charged for cancellations received 14 days or less prior to arrival date.

I had a problem this year with a guest who booked online and our reservations system and website state that a $20 per reserved night deposit will be taken. This is non-refundable if the guest cancels. She even checked the box that she agreed to the policies. Well an email came through a few weeks later and she wanted to cancel and said she understood she would not receive her deposit back so I didn't think it was a big deal. Then the next thing I saw was a horrible review on Tripadvisor with one star. It didn't make much sense to me how she could say one thing in the email and go and do another thing online to broadcast to everyone. Well I was devastated to get this review so we called her at home and agreed to refund her $20 and she took off the review. In that instance I don't think it was worth it to keep her deposit with that bad review. Tripadvisor has been one of our number 1 ways to advertise for free and it brings us a lot of guests. I haven't had problems otherwise with the deposit and a lot of people have cancelled. We charge this deposit because it takes a lot time to process the reservation and paperwork and get everything in line. Sometimes I am on the phone for 20 minutes with a guest explaining things. Charging the deposit also weeds out the people who are not serious about staying here and making a reservation..
oceans said:
We charge this deposit because it takes a lot time to process the reservation and paperwork and get everything in line. Sometimes I am on the phone for 20 minutes with a guest explaining things. Charging the deposit also weeds out the people who are not serious about staying here and making a reservation.
People don't understand it takes time, not just one click of a button like the big hotel chains. Either that or they all work for free.....
Also now guests can blackmail us with TA ???/ What's next ?I thought TA would only post with guests actually had stayed at that place ?
Mooseberry Inn said:
oceans said:
We charge this deposit because it takes a lot time to process the reservation and paperwork and get everything in line. Sometimes I am on the phone for 20 minutes with a guest explaining things. Charging the deposit also weeds out the people who are not serious about staying here and making a reservation.
People don't understand it takes time, not just one click of a button like the big hotel chains. Either that or they all work for free.....
Also now guests can blackmail us with TA ???/ What's next ?I thought TA would only post with guests actually had stayed at that place ?
No, you don't have to stay to write a review. If you book and cancel and don't like the cancel policies you can write about that. If you book and don't like your room and decide to walk, you can write about that. I think the only place TA might draw the line is if the guest never even contacted you at all and then wrote a review for whatever reason.
However, TA will not do any research to validate that the guest did not really contact you. (As far as I know.)

I had a problem this year with a guest who booked online and our reservations system and website state that a $20 per reserved night deposit will be taken. This is non-refundable if the guest cancels. She even checked the box that she agreed to the policies. Well an email came through a few weeks later and she wanted to cancel and said she understood she would not receive her deposit back so I didn't think it was a big deal. Then the next thing I saw was a horrible review on Tripadvisor with one star. It didn't make much sense to me how she could say one thing in the email and go and do another thing online to broadcast to everyone. Well I was devastated to get this review so we called her at home and agreed to refund her $20 and she took off the review. In that instance I don't think it was worth it to keep her deposit with that bad review. Tripadvisor has been one of our number 1 ways to advertise for free and it brings us a lot of guests. I haven't had problems otherwise with the deposit and a lot of people have cancelled. We charge this deposit because it takes a lot time to process the reservation and paperwork and get everything in line. Sometimes I am on the phone for 20 minutes with a guest explaining things. Charging the deposit also weeds out the people who are not serious about staying here and making a reservation..
oceans said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
oceans said:
No, you don't have to stay to write a review. If you book and cancel and don't like the cancel policies you can write about that. If you book and don't like your room and decide to walk, you can write about that. I think the only place TA might draw the line is if the guest never even contacted you at all and then wrote a review for whatever reason.
However, TA will not do any research to validate that the guest did not really contact you. (As far as I know.)
Bree said:
No, you don't have to stay to write a review. If you book and cancel and don't like the cancel policies you can write about that. If you book and don't like your room and decide to walk, you can write about that.
There is at least one B&B that has gotten a bad review because they answered the phone in an unsatisfactory way (at 4:00 in the morning). No, it wasn't me...

oceans said:
I'm not sure about TA but Yahoo!Travel lets them do it, and they don't allow the business to reply. I had a woman who never got back to me about booking and when I told her no she did blackmail me and she did write a bad review. I tried to contact Yahoo Travel to tell them she had never stayed here, and could I at least write a response and no go.
But in the end she wrote something stupid like, "first they said we could stay and then they said no so this place is terrible"
It's in the middle of a lot of great writeups for our tours so it looks like a spoiled brat trying to give me trouble and nobody seems to pay attention to it.
I get a chance to talk about reviews to our tour guests that are not staying with us and they all say they take the reviews with a grain of salt, especially when there is one bad one in the middle of good ones. They are also all suspicious, actually, when all the reivews are all glowing.
Riki
egoodell said:
I get a chance to talk about reviews to our tour guests that are not staying with us and they all say they take the reviews with a grain of salt, especially when there is one bad one in the middle of good ones. They are also all suspicious, actually, when all the reivews are all glowing.
Riki
We stayed at a place last year with rave reviews and 2 bad reviews buried in amongst the good. The bad reviews were true. The good reviews were a figment of someone's imagination. We were just having a good laugh about that place with friends who stayed there as well. So, it wasn't just me who was annoyed about the place! Burnt breakfast, one muffin for 6 guests, no heat, we were not allowed to use the fireplace in our room and the innkeepers talked non-stop for 1/2 an hour with us barricaded in our room (innkeeper closed the door and leaned up against it and started talking). Oh, yeah, and we had every single light in the room turned on and we still couldn't see. The innkeepers' clothes were in the closets and dressers and the down-stairs rooms were moldy-smelling. I could go on...but these were things the bad reviews mentioned but it sounded like sour grapes on someone's part. Nope. That was the real deal!

oceans said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
oceans said:
Bree said:
No, you don't have to stay to write a review. If you book and cancel and don't like the cancel policies you can write about that. If you book and don't like your room and decide to walk, you can write about that.
There is at least one B&B that has gotten a bad review because they answered the phone in an unsatisfactory way (at 4:00 in the morning). No, it wasn't me...
muirford said:
Bree said:
I guess the only mgmt response to that would have to be, 'Please call between the hours of 9AM and 9PM EST for the happy innkeeper; surly innkeeper on duty between 9PM and 9AM.'

oceans said:
I'm not sure about TA but Yahoo!Travel lets them do it, and they don't allow the business to reply. I had a woman who never got back to me about booking and when I told her no she did blackmail me and she did write a bad review. I tried to contact Yahoo Travel to tell them she had never stayed here, and could I at least write a response and no go.
But in the end she wrote something stupid like, "first they said we could stay and then they said no so this place is terrible"
It's in the middle of a lot of great writeups for our tours so it looks like a spoiled brat trying to give me trouble and nobody seems to pay attention to it.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
We stayed at a place last year with rave reviews and 2 bad reviews buried in amongst the good. The bad reviews were true. The good reviews were a figment of someone's imagination. We were just having a good laugh about that place with friends who stayed there as well. So, it wasn't just me who was annoyed about the place! Burnt breakfast, one muffin for 6 guests, no heat, we were not allowed to use the fireplace in our room and the innkeepers talked non-stop for 1/2 an hour with us barricaded in our room (innkeeper closed the door and leaned up against it and started talking). Oh, yeah, and we had every single light in the room turned on and we still couldn't see. The innkeepers' clothes were in the closets and dressers and the down-stairs rooms were moldy-smelling. I could go on...but these were things the bad reviews mentioned but it sounded like sour grapes on someone's part. Nope. That was the real deal!
Bree said:
egoodell said:
Riki
OMG!! I would be embaressed to even think about offering this place to the public....one former guest told me about a similar place...I hope we never find it :)

Sorry you had to go through that, it's upsetting to say the least. She is just bullying you - all hotels and B&Bs have cancellation fees, and she knows it.
I have found in our short two years of operation, that whenever someone comes out and asks about cancellation fees, 99% plan to cancel. the 1% in my case are usually military and in their cases stuff DOES happen to throw their plans askew and I give them leeway.
In my case, I have told DH that whenever anyone asks about the cancellation fee, we will not take the reservation until they are more sure about what they plan to do. It's just too much of a risk for me, and I don't want to go through the arguments.
Riki.
I am like you on the cancellation. Most of my guests are flying in and I want to know if they already have purchased their tickets. Have only had one ask about cancellation fee. He was a lawyer and figured I might have a problem. But his brother had cancer and they were coming to visit him and they have not always gotten along well. So we agreed that if he got in a disagreement, I would do a gift certificate and his brother could use it at a later date.
Everything went well. But it is always a red flag.
In January and February most of our reservations are Canadians traveling with horses and they are very concerned about cancelation at the last minute because of weather. For them, because we cannot tell from day to say about the weather, I say if they have to cancel due to weather less than 48 hours prior to expected arrival, I will charge their card for only the stable fee. They have seemed happy with that compromise. I told them I do not own the stable and I do not want the stable people to lose. So far no one had to cancel.
BTW, I did work out a deal with the stable people. They will still do the stabling after all. I told them I will not accept a same-day horse reservation unless it is an emergency in which case I will tell the person they will probably have to muck out a stall themselves. So i do not have to learn to muck out a stall after all! Whew!!

When I was on a vacation a few years ago I had to cut it short and cancel 2 B&B's at the last minute (1 was the say day of reservation). My father in law passed away during our trip so I had to get home. One said they were sorry and not to worry and the other said they were sorry but I had to pay a 1 night stay as it was their policy....never offered to give me a gift certificate or anything and I was a B&B virgin so I never thought to ask. They charged my card and I paid it, but as much as I would LOVE to stay at this B&B if I'm ever in the town again, I will not. I'm sure you guys hear lots of things people say to get out of a reservation, but sometimes it's true
regular_smile.gif

When I was on a vacation a few years ago I had to cut it short and cancel 2 B&B's at the last minute (1 was the say day of reservation). My father in law passed away during our trip so I had to get home. One said they were sorry and not to worry and the other said they were sorry but I had to pay a 1 night stay as it was their policy....never offered to give me a gift certificate or anything and I was a B&B virgin so I never thought to ask. They charged my card and I paid it, but as much as I would LOVE to stay at this B&B if I'm ever in the town again, I will not. I'm sure you guys hear lots of things people say to get out of a reservation, but sometimes it's true
regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
Just an fyi alot of people use death, cancer, emergencies to GET out of a cancellation policy. Dont hold it against them.
Yes sometimes it is true. Sometimes it is not true. The point being, when I have had a change of plans or emergency, the last thing I am going to do is argue with an inn or hotel about getting my money back due to extenuating circumstances. That may be one of the reasons many B&B's stick to the guns. Heck, I can't make my flight - airline will you please refund me or give me a coupon for another flight? It doesn't happen.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
Sometimes it is true. But more often it is not. Especially when they specifically ask about the cancellation policy when booking. I will no longer take a reservation when they say that. My last one was a stock broker from NY who obviously booked several places and then decided when he got here. His office tried to tell me they cancelled but were having trouble with their email. What happened to my toll free number???
Riki

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
Sometimes it is true. But more often it is not. Especially when they specifically ask about the cancellation policy when booking. I will no longer take a reservation when they say that. My last one was a stock broker from NY who obviously booked several places and then decided when he got here. His office tried to tell me they cancelled but were having trouble with their email. What happened to my toll free number???
Riki
Which it is good to have in the cancellation policy that all cancels must be via phone and not email.

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
Riki
Which it is good to have in the cancellation policy that all cancels must be via phone and not email.
Bree said:
We learned that from forums long ago. The guests just don't think it applies to them so they email.
Some do call...
Riki

regular_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
regular_smile.gif
I try to work with people and do offer GC's for future stays.
I too have to say that many do use all sorts of excuses to get out of an reservation, even the death of a Family member, thus B&B's ( and all other companies who take deposits ) like to stick to their policies. How am I to know the guest is speaking the truth? So, if I offer them a GC it usually saves face both ways :)

You can always ask for some sort of proof like a copy of the death certificate before waiving a cancellation fee. That should weed out the liars pretty quickly. Just because we are in the hospitality business doesn't mean we have to be patsies.
I have also had guests try to blackmail me with threats of complaints to the BBB before Trip Advisor came along. I never gave in and would always explain it in my response. Although I know many B&B owners who do give in, I feel it just empowers these people to do it again to the next person.

You can always ask for some sort of proof like a copy of the death certificate before waiving a cancellation fee. That should weed out the liars pretty quickly. Just because we are in the hospitality business doesn't mean we have to be patsies.
I have also had guests try to blackmail me with threats of complaints to the BBB before Trip Advisor came along. I never gave in and would always explain it in my response. Although I know many B&B owners who do give in, I feel it just empowers these people to do it again to the next person..
Excuse me? Ask for a copy of the death certificate? I do believe I would have an answer for that kind of request and I cannot give it here. I do not mean to be rude but that WOULD be rude and invasion of privacy if they were telling the truth and if they were not I think that would make matters worse. Just my opinion. Just decide to believe or not believe and be done with it. Have the policies in place and apply or waive as the spirit moves you. The one perk of being an innkeeper is that you are DA BOSS!!

Asking for the death certificate is not a new thing and it is done often. A lot of the Cruise Ship companies will ask for a death certificate if someone needs to cancel. They have strict policies and don't give deposits back but if they have a death certificate they will.

Asking for the death certificate is not a new thing and it is done often. A lot of the Cruise Ship companies will ask for a death certificate if someone needs to cancel. They have strict policies and don't give deposits back but if they have a death certificate they will..
I think the airlines have a special discount (off full price of course so not usually even a discount) that they will give you if you show a death certificate. Unless it's changed.
Riki

Asking for the death certificate is not a new thing and it is done often. A lot of the Cruise Ship companies will ask for a death certificate if someone needs to cancel. They have strict policies and don't give deposits back but if they have a death certificate they will..
Another innkeeper used to have a clever response. If they called to cancel due to a death she would ask for the funeral home name so that she could send flowers!!!
Riki

Sorry, I guess I have been isolated because I never heard of this practice. I do have a question about it though - how does one get a death certificate - especially of a grandparent or sibling, not spouse or child - quickly enough to show to anyone and get to the funeral? Death certificates come through bureaucrats and I have yet to see anything come out of a county courthouse quickly unless it was a demand for money from me.

Back