My first guest is not as wonderful as I had hoped :(

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an innkeeper who has her own kitchen but an unfortunately open inn kitchen, I cannot agree more with everyone that you do not want guests in your kitchen. Allowing guest use of the kitchen can result in disaster.
What starts off as a 'help yourself to a soda' turns into a couple wanting to know where the big pot is for the lobsters they just bought to cook in your kitchen. (You can sub your local shellfish for the lobster, but you get what I mean.)
You know how you would act in someone else's house. Not everyone thinks the way you do.
If there is space in the room, add a small dorm fridge and single serve coffee maker. Or put that in the dining room. Plate up some snacks and leave them somewhere other than the kitchen.
Yes, it is very hard to draw these lines for US guests when you have traveled/lived in Europe and see how it is done there. As with kids, it's easier to lighten up than tighten up..
Disaster - exactly!! Our first year we had 2 college students doing their student teaching. One morning one of the girls was in the kitchen with her boyfriend slicing bagels to toast them. DH gets a knock on the door to our side of the house and it is the boyfriend asking if we have any band aids. DH goes into the kitchen and she is bleeding ! He grabs a towelto put over her finger and yells for the boyfriend to grab a stool for her - she was about to pass out. He got her wrapped with a towel and told boyfriend to take her to ER. She ended up getting plastic surgery on that finger. That was the last time anyone ever used our kitchen. Fortunately the parents did not go after us.
Just an example to back up what Maddie saidabout possible disaster in the kitchen.

As an innkeeper who has her own kitchen but an unfortunately open inn kitchen, I cannot agree more with everyone that you do not want guests in your kitchen. Allowing guest use of the kitchen can result in disaster.
What starts off as a 'help yourself to a soda' turns into a couple wanting to know where the big pot is for the lobsters they just bought to cook in your kitchen. (You can sub your local shellfish for the lobster, but you get what I mean.)
You know how you would act in someone else's house. Not everyone thinks the way you do.
If there is space in the room, add a small dorm fridge and single serve coffee maker. Or put that in the dining room. Plate up some snacks and leave them somewhere other than the kitchen.
Yes, it is very hard to draw these lines for US guests when you have traveled/lived in Europe and see how it is done there. As with kids, it's easier to lighten up than tighten up..
Madeleine said:
it's easier to lighten up than tighten up.
Great advice for all sorts of situations.

I know everyone else has mentioned the use of the kitchen, but I see that you also have a ton of other things throughout your house that you are allowing them access to. You might want to reconsider inviting them to take over your living room Wii and DVD player among other things. It sounds like $45 will get you a whole house and a cook for a night.
Welcome to the board. We're all brutally honest, but we also appreciate knowing we can get quality, experienced help when we need it. You came to the right place!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone! I think I will definitely reconsider the timeframe I'm offering for breakfast. I had to laugh when I read that even McDonalds stops serving breakfast at 10! And I like the idea of a form too. Right now I have only one room, but we have plans to expand in a year or two. We figured we would give it a shot and learn the hard lessons now before sinking a lot of money and time into it. It has been my dream since high school to have a classy B&B, so I'm excited to be on the path now! It's a little discouraging that my first guest was a bit troublesome, but I know they won't all be this way. The first phone reservation I took, we talked for nearly 30 minutes like we were old friends. I've already had interactions with some really fantastic people that I really look forward to meeting. And we've received reservations from people from 3 different countries! Awesome!
So here's the update: He showed up this morning- about 5 minutes late but I'll take what I can get with this guy! :) He seemed to love the breakfast and we had a nice conversation/philosophical debate on what's good and bad about America... I am not one to talk with strangers about my own political and ideological beliefs and opinions, so it was awkward... He just kept pushing and pushing it. I just tried to smile, nod and change the subject. How do you guys typically respond to guests that want to talk politics?.
We do talk some politics, but we aren't in the same situation as you, being in a foreign country people want to know something about our politics here. We avoid talking about American politics like the plague.... the rest of the world's politics and views are VERY different.
we don't do politics, religion or anything in the sex bracket (ie what they are, or do or what other people do)- none of the above is any of my business - if it is mentioned I politely say I am sorry but these are private matters and not for discussion.
Drives me spare as DH and I are not married and do not share the same surname - find it exceptionally rude when people ask questions about this

Unlike others, I'm blind, since I don't know your property, but from the discussion... if your rate is $45 a night that's pretty cheap for essentially sharing your house and having a breakfast cook as well. Makes me wonder... are you legally operating and properly insured? Because I have no idea how you are covering the bills at that price. I understand being inexpensive to get people in the door, but when you aren't covering the bills you are doing no one a favour. Move your prices up slowly. One way to do this is to change your prices from time to time, for example, if your price is $45 before tax, move it up to $50 including tax. Then later you can make it $50 before tax, etc. Less conspicuous that way.
There will always be people who will try to take advantage of you. You need structure and clear boundaries, things like: A hot breakfast is served at 8AM. Continental serve-yourself is on the table from 7AM to 10AM. There are no kitchen privileges. Etc. I once had a lady who expected me to cook her the same specific breakfast each morning and to prepare her lunch, that was a nice expectation but not a reality. We told her that we do not allow guests in the kitchen and that we have no control over our vegetables and can't produce her desired breakfast daily. We offered to allow her to cancel at no charge so she could find a self-catered apartment and she did. And we did a dance of glee. You want guests who want to be there, not guests who take over your life.
Seriously, if you need a TV for the room, you can get them on craigslist free, just for picking up their old tube TV. A DVD player is rather cheap as well. The moment you invite people to use your Wii, you have a room mate. If you think it is that important, pick one up when they go for sale, but you will find it's a waste of money, they are on vacation, not living there. They aren't in the room enough to care.

Haha, ok... I'm not sure if its a good thing or not that so many of you could find me..? So I guess I need to change my screen name on here so I'm not so "out in the open"!
And it's interesting that so many of you say I should increase the rates. I did research other rates in the area, and I know they are all considerably higher than me. I guess I'm still trying to figure out exactly "what" I am... With only one room, I think it's hard to call myself a true B&B and charge those sorts of rates. I know that what I currently have is more along the lines of a homestay. But I don't want it to be a typical homestay- I want guests to feel pampered and well taken care of, like they would at a classy B&B... I figured that I would be lucky just to get 4-5 nights per month. So, I priced low to see what would happen... I've been really surprised at the reservations I've gotten so far. At this point, honestly, I'm not really in this for the money (although a little extra cash never hurts anyone...)- it truly is meant to be a learning opportunity and the chance to meet and interact with some interesting people from around the world. But I definitely understand what you guys have said- charging too low can bring the wrong crowd and make others wonder what's wrong with the place!! I will definitely consider this!
Thanks so much everyone! I admit I was a little afraid to post on here at first- I was afraid all the "real" innkeepers would laugh me off the boards for having a one-room place! ;) but you guys definitely have a lot of great knowledge and advice, and this is a wonderful resource for an aspiring innkeeper like me!.
That is how we started out, 1-2 rooms. Welcome!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone! I think I will definitely reconsider the timeframe I'm offering for breakfast. I had to laugh when I read that even McDonalds stops serving breakfast at 10! And I like the idea of a form too. Right now I have only one room, but we have plans to expand in a year or two. We figured we would give it a shot and learn the hard lessons now before sinking a lot of money and time into it. It has been my dream since high school to have a classy B&B, so I'm excited to be on the path now! It's a little discouraging that my first guest was a bit troublesome, but I know they won't all be this way. The first phone reservation I took, we talked for nearly 30 minutes like we were old friends. I've already had interactions with some really fantastic people that I really look forward to meeting. And we've received reservations from people from 3 different countries! Awesome!
So here's the update: He showed up this morning- about 5 minutes late but I'll take what I can get with this guy! :) He seemed to love the breakfast and we had a nice conversation/philosophical debate on what's good and bad about America... I am not one to talk with strangers about my own political and ideological beliefs and opinions, so it was awkward... He just kept pushing and pushing it. I just tried to smile, nod and change the subject. How do you guys typically respond to guests that want to talk politics?.
We do talk some politics, but we aren't in the same situation as you, being in a foreign country people want to know something about our politics here. We avoid talking about American politics like the plague.... the rest of the world's politics and views are VERY different.
we don't do politics, religion or anything in the sex bracket (ie what they are, or do or what other people do)- none of the above is any of my business - if it is mentioned I politely say I am sorry but these are private matters and not for discussion.
Drives me spare as DH and I are not married and do not share the same surname - find it exceptionally rude when people ask questions about this
We are married here but don't share the same last name. As I am generally the person filling out forms, etc, I find it amusing when everything comes addressed to: Maddie and John MyLastName. I never fill out a form without using both last names or I will only use my name and then the 'helpful' person on the other end goes and looks at our website and adds DH.

Oh, I love your new avatar saying~.
Madeleine said:
Oh, I love your new avatar saying~
I couldn't read it on my monitor.
Oops! It's already gone!
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Oh, I love your new avatar saying~
I couldn't read it on my monitor.
Oops! It's already gone!
'As I do more laundry, nudists seem less crazy.'
Madeleine said:
'As I do more laundry, nudists seem less crazy.'
thumbs_up.gif

We are married here but don't share the same last name. As I am generally the person filling out forms, etc, I find it amusing when everything comes addressed to: Maddie and John MyLastName. I never fill out a form without using both last names or I will only use my name and then the 'helpful' person on the other end goes and looks at our website and adds DH.
We're married but I never legally changed my last name. We decided when we bought the b&b that I would use DH's last name for b&b marketing purposes just so I didn't have to field all those questions. All legal papers I sign with legal name. Guests don't know the difference and I don't have to answer all those lame questions.

Around here, if people have the same last name, we assume they are siblings. Law changed in 1981, women keep their maiden name... till death.

Haha, ok... I'm not sure if its a good thing or not that so many of you could find me..? So I guess I need to change my screen name on here so I'm not so "out in the open"!
And it's interesting that so many of you say I should increase the rates. I did research other rates in the area, and I know they are all considerably higher than me. I guess I'm still trying to figure out exactly "what" I am... With only one room, I think it's hard to call myself a true B&B and charge those sorts of rates. I know that what I currently have is more along the lines of a homestay. But I don't want it to be a typical homestay- I want guests to feel pampered and well taken care of, like they would at a classy B&B... I figured that I would be lucky just to get 4-5 nights per month. So, I priced low to see what would happen... I've been really surprised at the reservations I've gotten so far. At this point, honestly, I'm not really in this for the money (although a little extra cash never hurts anyone...)- it truly is meant to be a learning opportunity and the chance to meet and interact with some interesting people from around the world. But I definitely understand what you guys have said- charging too low can bring the wrong crowd and make others wonder what's wrong with the place!! I will definitely consider this!
Thanks so much everyone! I admit I was a little afraid to post on here at first- I was afraid all the "real" innkeepers would laugh me off the boards for having a one-room place! ;) but you guys definitely have a lot of great knowledge and advice, and this is a wonderful resource for an aspiring innkeeper like me!.
Jsenocak said:
Thanks so much everyone! I admit I was a little afraid to post on here at first- I was afraid all the "real" innkeepers would laugh me off the boards for having a one-room place! ;) but you guys definitely have a lot of great knowledge and advice, and this is a wonderful resource for an aspiring innkeeper like me!
Awww, we're not so scary.
devil_smile.gif
It's not the number of rooms that makes you an innkeeper, it's professionalism. It sure seems like you've done some homework, spent $ on your website and are approaching innkeeping with high standards. Congrats!
So, when you call yourself a 'homestay', does that mean that the guest shares common space (living room, etc.) with you? How much is private guest area and how much is shared?
Thanks :) I think high standards are important. I am constantly asking myself what I would want and expect if I was choosing a place to stay- and I'm extremely picky!
The private space is the guest room (obviously...) and the full bath. The shared space includes the living room, dining room, office (desk space and printing/fax use), and I also allow some shared use of the kitchen for guests (fridge, microwave, etc...). I consider a homestay to be a small place- one or two guest rooms, that is mostly geared towards international and student travelers and also can accommodate longer stays, and is often more focused on cultural exchange than your average inn or hotel. I like this aspect because we're an international family ourselves!
Looked at your photos and I would also be confused about the water views. Is that your view from your front porch? I'm asking because that can be very important to folks visiting that area and you don't want them to be disappointed. Is there a place where folks with boats can tie up near you?
Also, I would put on your site where folks can get the favorite food from the water in your area (during the season). I know that I will be partaking of it when I am there next week! ;-)
No, that's not the view from our house- it's just right up the street- two blocks away. I have written in the text that the house is located 2 blocks from the Chesapeake and tried to make that totally apparent... those of you who have seen the site- what do you think? Is it not clear enough? I definitely don't want to give that impression to people that it's a waterfront property, but I did want to show pictures of the beautiful bay. It's definitely a great part of our location. We might not be RIGHT on the water, but it's very close and guests can easily walk up there and enjoy the water anytime.
Sam, if you would like to come by while you're in the area, you're more than welcome to! :) I'll treat you to cookies and tea!
And yes, I'm actually currently working on putting together a "guidebook" for the local restaurants, shopping, sites, etc...!
See, I skimmed as well and thought that you had a water view! Ack! Good idea to caption the photo with "Just 2 blocks to the water", or similar.
I could see folks wanting to cook some crabs in a big pot in your kitchen. haha! Are you up for that?
Also, do you want folks to have access to your office? Personal items in there including accounts info and what not? If you are allowing them to use a personal computer, maybe you could set up a laptop in the living room and secure your personal items. I had an old laptop and printer for guest use (with a lock to secure it from walking) in our reception hall and it was rarely used except to print boarding passes. Most folks had their own tech devices and that was before the onslaught of tablets. I think even with a homestay since you're out there on the big wide web, you should be careful.
Just some thoughts...
Will see if I have the chance to drive down your way - thanks so much for the invite! If so, I'll contact you offline via your email.

Around here, if people have the same last name, we assume they are siblings. Law changed in 1981, women keep their maiden name... till death.
the law here is do what you like - change it if you want not if you don't - or what is becoming more common is they hyponate for the kids ie jones-smiths - don't know what the next generation will do mind - jones-smiths marry bablock-hydes?

I'm in late, and missed most of the conversation... one room... you say, "What time would you like breakfast?"
I have four rooms, and no set breakfast time. When the guest checks in I ask what time they'd like to eat, and tell them that's when the food will be come out of the oven. They practically never say 11, and when they do, they know they're pushing it. I either can and then I do, or I can't and tell them so.
I tell them I'm small, so the least I can do is offer personalized service.
Kk.

We're married but I never legally changed my last name. We decided when we bought the b&b that I would use DH's last name for b&b marketing purposes just so I didn't have to field all those questions. All legal papers I sign with legal name. Guests don't know the difference and I don't have to answer all those lame questions.
You know who doesn't use my 'real' last name? My mother. DH's entire family. No one accepts that I am allowed to choose my own name! Every last one of them says, 'You're married. You take HIS name. What's WRONG with you???'
Yeesh.
I tell my mother to just get it right in the will. ;-)

the law here is do what you like - change it if you want not if you don't - or what is becoming more common is they hyponate for the kids ie jones-smiths - don't know what the next generation will do mind - jones-smiths marry bablock-hydes?
Law around here stipulates that only two of the four for the children.

Hi Justmeinmd! I just got here...kinda late to chime in, but welcome. You have gotten great advice from the pros on this board so I'll just add one thing about increasing your rates. We have found that when your rates go up, you get a better group of guests. Of course there is a range of peculiar, inconsiderate guests no matter what, but when your rates are low you will get "bottom of the barrel" guests who either have never stayed in a B+B and will treat you like a hotel maid, or you will get people who figure you are not worth much and will treat your home accordingly. So by all means get those rates up to those that are comparable with other B+B's in your area.

Here's my thought on the "I only have one room so I should charge less" -- your guests don't have to share you and your house with anyone else, they have you and it all to themselves! You could charge more than a multi-room B&B would, for the extra attention / privacy that you can offer!

Back