My first guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbread Latte

Reaction score
I'm still Aspiring (the bank thinks they can get more than my offer, but that's another story.) The current owner and I have become friends thru all this and she asked if I would work the house while she went out of town. She only had 3 guests and I said, "Of course..."
The first gentleman called and said he was about 30 minutes out. I was so excited, I had my tour all planned, my snacks, my greeting (Yes, I was totally sick at my stomach) He gets in, he's been driving for 2 days, here to see his mom in the hospital. He says all he wants to do is get some sleep. He goes straight to his room and crashes. I was so disappointed
tounge_smile.gif
Of course, I consoled myself with the fresh chocolate chip cookies and just laughed.
Note to self: Don't get into the habit of eating the treats....

regular_smile.gif

Priceless "note to self" -- and you'll be better than me if you can actually follow through on that! Good luck! Your hips will thank you.

Gingerbread Latte said:
Note to self: Don't get into the habit of eating the treats....
'Occupational hazard.' I've gained 20 lbs in 7 years.

Great way to see if you really want to do this - just do more Inn-sitting for the current owner - win-win for everyone! Have fun!

Welcome to innkeeping, step one of being a professional innkeeper is to supersize your thighs in the first year.
potty-mouth.gif

GL I didn't have the greatest guests for my first either, I was up at the crack of dawn baking muffins and all rearing to go...following the dream. Although they loved their fling-a-ding-ding here, and would never tell another soul about it. STUPID AFFAIRS! PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!

We all remember our "first guests". Congratulations on your first. I think it is winderful that you are having the opportunity to "get your feet wet" first - before you have invested. It will be, as many have said, the hardest job you will ever love. Probably because the wonderful guests give us such highs (who needs drugs?) and good feelings about what we do.

Cheers to you!
cheers.gif
After 15 years I still remember my first guests (and how nervous I was) like it was yesterday.

It happens...but think of it as a better easing into the job than a lot of first guests!
Best of luck on the bank financing.

Back