my first mortification

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollyanna

Reaction score
Ruh-oh! One of my daughters just moved in temporarily after finishing her master's degree and I mean just last night. When she lived with us prior to college, we were not a B & B, and usually on holidays, we just have family, since we have a big one. So, she's not used to considering guests' needs. This evening, guests walked in on her rifling through one of the closets in their room! They had not locked their door, but declined maid service, so they were not expecting anyone in there, of course! I missed it as I was giving some new guests the tour. In that room, there is a guest closet with the robes and slippers and all, and then on the other side of the room is a locked closet filled with the belongings of my kids in college. So, she thinks, well, they're out for the day so I'll just get in there to get my whatever...So, they walk in to find the furniture a bit rearranged and boxes on the floor. She did apologize and get right out, but what a breach of privacy. When I heard, I went right up with an offering of cookies and a profound apology. Thank goodness they were gracious and just blew it off. An hour later, while guests were napping, same daughter called clear across the house at the top of her lungs to get her sister down to dinner. That's when I said, time for your instructional orientation about life with guests......

Oh boy! She is due for a reorientation. I had a brief period of time in the very beginning when I had family here. (and I mean brief) I actually had guests leave because they said the place sounded like a frat house. Never again.

OOPS....you are right...time to set down the rules. Or, hope she gets a job and moves out real quick :)

Not meaning to knock your daughter but there really IS something here you have missed - she KNOWS you are now a B & B (your BUSINESS!) and if she is old enough and smart enough to have completed her Masters, she is old enough and smart enough to understand how disrespectful of YOU and your business she was. I am sure the guests had their door closed - and even non-B & B a closed door meant stay out unless permission is given to enter - even when unoccupied.
Giving the first breech of etiquette a pass, who shouts in a business - other than short order cooks and waitresses? Even at ages 4 & 6, my grandcildren who live about 700 miles away were quiet when guests were in-house while visiting us - and as soon as the guests left went back to being noisy kids.
I am sooo sorry this even happened for you. Now if only the chocolate stain would have come out of the pillow case, sheet, and mattress pad after the teen-age grandson fell asleep (during an Easter break visit) with his Easter candy on the bed........

I agree with K, I had two teenagers when we had the B & B and they knew that when we had a guest in the Suite that it was absolutely necessary for them NOT TO MAKE EXCESSIVE NOISE period. They where pretty good most of the time, but we only rented one room in the main house so it wasn't as if they where all in the house. Although did have to tell them that they SHOULD NOT SCREAM OUTSIDE.....cause hey "We have guests".
As old as she is its just the "I Dont give a sh...t mentality" which I can't say my grown kids don't have at times-yup time for the lesson....or else!
Good luck

Not meaning to knock your daughter but there really IS something here you have missed - she KNOWS you are now a B & B (your BUSINESS!) and if she is old enough and smart enough to have completed her Masters, she is old enough and smart enough to understand how disrespectful of YOU and your business she was. I am sure the guests had their door closed - and even non-B & B a closed door meant stay out unless permission is given to enter - even when unoccupied.
Giving the first breech of etiquette a pass, who shouts in a business - other than short order cooks and waitresses? Even at ages 4 & 6, my grandcildren who live about 700 miles away were quiet when guests were in-house while visiting us - and as soon as the guests left went back to being noisy kids.
I am sooo sorry this even happened for you. Now if only the chocolate stain would have come out of the pillow case, sheet, and mattress pad after the teen-age grandson fell asleep (during an Easter break visit) with his Easter candy on the bed.........
Oh yes, I was wondering also..Master's Degree...? Just like I think of them as 7 years old or 10 years old sometimes, I think whenever some of my 20+ year old kids come home, they briefly revert to their center-of-the-universe childhood perspective. Mom's here to cater to me and make all my favorite recipes! Well, she's a quick learner and all went well with the noise level last night and this AM. She is helping in the kitchen right now!
Thanks all for the sympathies. I needed that!

We have the same situation. 26 year old daughter is home for a while. She spends the night away at a friends as often as possible. The only issue with her now is...if we have guests, and she is sleeping here, she either comes out of her bedroom in clothes - not pjs, with hair combed, or stay in bed until after breakfast. Also - she has to be really quiet when she comes in late. It's ok so far, but she does get loud on the phone sometimes. She really is engaging and the guests like her.
Be sure tp make her as uncomfortable as possible with lots of rules. She'll move on really quick. Ours is going back to school, so we are stuck for a while.

We have the same situation. 26 year old daughter is home for a while. She spends the night away at a friends as often as possible. The only issue with her now is...if we have guests, and she is sleeping here, she either comes out of her bedroom in clothes - not pjs, with hair combed, or stay in bed until after breakfast. Also - she has to be really quiet when she comes in late. It's ok so far, but she does get loud on the phone sometimes. She really is engaging and the guests like her.
Be sure tp make her as uncomfortable as possible with lots of rules. She'll move on really quick. Ours is going back to school, so we are stuck for a while..
Made me laugh! Appearance around the house has been an issue as well for my teenage daughter still at home. We have a finite period of living together with the college grad, who is actually a wonderful woman and very supportive and helpful. She just had a hard time changing gears.
In June, she and another sister are moving to the big city to help support the teenage daughter through her university years. They will all live together a couple of hours away. Then, it will be empty nest for first time in 28 years of raising kids. (foster parents and 8 adopted at older ages) The kids tease me that they are going to come up and find the dogs sitting at the table in little dresses with me there cutting up their meat for them! Seriously, I think I need guests here or would go nuts from not having anyone around to nurture. Too tired to keep foster or adoptive parenting (would so not work with a B & B) so we'll just be pampering the pets and the guests from now on.

Be sure tp make her as uncomfortable as possible with lots of rules. She'll move on really quick. Ours is going back to school, so we are stuck for a while..
Made me laugh! Appearance around the house has been an issue as well for my teenage daughter still at home. We have a finite period of living together with the college grad, who is actually a wonderful woman and very supportive and helpful. She just had a hard time changing gears.
In June, she and another sister are moving to the big city to help support the teenage daughter through her university years. They will all live together a couple of hours away. Then, it will be empty nest for first time in 28 years of raising kids. (foster parents and 8 adopted at older ages) The kids tease me that they are going to come up and find the dogs sitting at the table in little dresses with me there cutting up their meat for them! Seriously, I think I need guests here or would go nuts from not having anyone around to nurture. Too tired to keep foster or adoptive parenting (would so not work with a B & B) so we'll just be pampering the pets and the guests from now on.
Yikers! And I thought I had it interesting with marrying 5 and bringing 1 with me!!

pampering pets works. they get fat though. That cute lil slim dog I use as my avatar is a real porker now!
20139_301848900208_712645208_3353927_2516562_n.jpg

We had our son come home after college and when he got the fact he had to stay in our quarters with us which isn't very big he thought he would get an apt.
Hubby tells people if you want your kids to not move home open a bed and breakfast. :)

Bill Cosby said "Human beings are the only creatures that allow their children to come back home"

Back