My first 'private' sign goes up

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We've muddled along without putting up 'keep out' and 'no admittance' signs for 5 years now. We even took down the 'Private' sign on our own door. Today was the straw. We, for the first time, locked the door to our laundry area. Most people just don't bother going in there (exception seemingly is kids). Well, our guests are all out of the house and I went to fold some laundry. Door is not only unlocked, it is open and the toilet has been used. (Which was the reason we locked the door earlier. This is NOT a guest bathroom. It is not cleaned, it is not maintained and the toilet really doesn't work all that well.)
So, we locked it and they jimmied it open. With SEVEN bathrooms of their own to choose from, they jimmied the door of the one bathroom they need to NOT be in. And there are room bathrooms within a few yards of this one.
It's locked again. If they got it open once, it won't make a hill of beans difference to them to pry it open again. So, the sign goes up. Keep Out. Private. No Trespassing. Yeah you.
BTW, I could really use that torso seashanty talked about. The one you put in the car when traveling alone. I want that to sit on the toilet for later on tonight. I guess I'd know right away who was going in there, wouldn't I?!

Use your old Halloween expertise! Stuff a shirt, add a balloon head with a ballcap on it and put it in place..... No light on of course.

One of the first things I put up when I bought the Inn.
PRIVATE signs on my doors. That is a big pet peeve of mine. My private space. Alot of guest like to see my kitchen. Which I have no problem when it is all cleaned and not after doing breakfast with pots pans and dirty dishes all over. I will never forget years ago I was sleeping and I woke up to a couple in my doorway of my bedroom telling me they lost the keys to there guest room. I about lost it.

Our room: Private, FACULTY, Do Not Enter.
It works.
Now... I may have to resurrect that thread about signs for feminine products. We're in town, but apparently can still have a $200 emergency repair on a Friday night with a full house for graduation. UGH.
Would it be too crass to have a sign that reads:
Things with strings
Will clog the bog.
Please do not flush feminine products.
=)
Kk.

Just like kids with no discipline, they actually do better with it, so put the signs up and give guests the boundaries,not everyone thinks they just wander, I have done this. If there is a sign it would be easy to differentiate areas of the inn.
Obv too many signs negate all of the signs! Too many rules and regs bring out the rebel in even the law abiding little granny who normally obeys rules and regs.

PRIVATE signs on my doors. That is a big pet peeve of mine. My private space. Alot of guest like to see my kitchen. Which I have no problem when it is all cleaned and not after doing breakfast with pots pans and dirty dishes all over. I will never forget years ago I was sleeping and I woke up to a couple in my doorway of my bedroom telling me they lost the keys to there guest room. I about lost it..
nkeeprs said:
PRIVATE signs on my doors. That is a big pet peeve of mine. My private space. Alot of guest like to see my kitchen. Which I have no problem when it is all cleaned and not after doing breakfast with pots pans and dirty dishes all over. I will never forget years ago I was sleeping and I woke up to a couple in my doorway of my bedroom telling me they lost the keys to there guest room. I about lost it.
I am 100% with you on the kitchen thing. I keep it tidy...but...it is like going into my own bathroom and seeing my own things, my kitchen is for INVITED guests only. Innkeepers are always welcome and invited guests. Non-innkeepers keep out.
I wanted to mentioned a phenomena on this topic and the only exception to the non innkeeper rule we have. There is one other type guest who seems to wander in early for solace. Here for a funeral always have a cup in their hand and walk in and sit down in the kitchen, it seems very natural and they always do it, like they are in a home, not a B&B. So these are the only others, but we won't advertise that, it just happens. We have not had many here over the years, but each time, the same thing happens. They are always in their robe or pjs and it is very early, they are thinking thinking thinking and in a daze and just wander on it.
(Have some here right now, so like clockwork there they were this morning. I actually think it is pretty cool)

PRIVATE signs on my doors. That is a big pet peeve of mine. My private space. Alot of guest like to see my kitchen. Which I have no problem when it is all cleaned and not after doing breakfast with pots pans and dirty dishes all over. I will never forget years ago I was sleeping and I woke up to a couple in my doorway of my bedroom telling me they lost the keys to there guest room. I about lost it..
nkeeprs said:
I am 100% with you on the kitchen thing. I keep it tidy...but...it is like going into my own bathroom and seeing my own things, my kitchen is for INVITED guests only. Innkeepers are always welcome and invited guests. Non-innkeepers keep out.
I wanted to mentioned a phenomena on this topic and the only exception to the non innkeeper rule we have. There is one other type guest who seems to wander in early for solace. Here for a funeral always have a cup in their hand and walk in and sit down in the kitchen, it seems very natural and they always do it, like they are in a home, not a B&B. So these are the only others, but we won't advertise that, it just happens. We have not had many here over the years, but each time, the same thing happens. They are always in their robe or pjs and it is very early, they are thinking thinking thinking and in a daze and just wander on it.
(Have some here right now, so like clockwork there they were this morning. I actually think it is pretty cool)
Yep, the comfort of the home kitchen :)

I don't know how you survived without the privacy signs up to this point! Guests have the run of the rest of the entire place, the innkeepers need some space to their own. There are "no boundaries" people out there that will test the limits. There's nothing wrong with letting folks know that it's NOT OK to infringe on your privacy by putting up "Private" signs.

I am so happy I have a locking kitchen door but then I've said that so many times. As for signs in bathrooms ... I have learned to be very blunt. My signs say please do not flush tampons, sanitary pads or condoms. Use the disposal bags provided. Thank-you.
Touch wood I've not had a problem since and those signs went up about 15 years ago.

I don't know how you survived without the privacy signs up to this point! Guests have the run of the rest of the entire place, the innkeepers need some space to their own. There are "no boundaries" people out there that will test the limits. There's nothing wrong with letting folks know that it's NOT OK to infringe on your privacy by putting up "Private" signs..
The random few people (young and old and senile) who have 'invaded' our space have been really minimal. (OK, the big exception is the kitchen, of course.)
I found out today it was a kid doing this, albeit all the kids as far as I know. And this kid would leave her own room to come and use the bathroom in the hall. Maybe it was fun?
Anyhoo...sign goes up. Door gets new lock. Life goes on.
While I'm at it, I'll make signs for the other doors I don't want guests opening. Anyone taking bets on how many times those doorknobs are now jiggled by people who never noticed the doors until they had signs on them?
wink_smile.gif

I don't know how you survived without the privacy signs up to this point! Guests have the run of the rest of the entire place, the innkeepers need some space to their own. There are "no boundaries" people out there that will test the limits. There's nothing wrong with letting folks know that it's NOT OK to infringe on your privacy by putting up "Private" signs..
The random few people (young and old and senile) who have 'invaded' our space have been really minimal. (OK, the big exception is the kitchen, of course.)
I found out today it was a kid doing this, albeit all the kids as far as I know. And this kid would leave her own room to come and use the bathroom in the hall. Maybe it was fun?
Anyhoo...sign goes up. Door gets new lock. Life goes on.
While I'm at it, I'll make signs for the other doors I don't want guests opening. Anyone taking bets on how many times those doorknobs are now jiggled by people who never noticed the doors until they had signs on them?
wink_smile.gif

The signs will be "peek" magnets - it CAN'T mean for ME to stay out!

We do not have a public bathroom on the first floor but that did not stop one guest. He searched the entire first floor of the house until he found my daughter's bathroom and then made himself comfy. This meant that he went through TWO private doorways. There was no mistaking that it was a private bathroom but he didn't care as long as it saved him the twelve steps up to his bathroom! Luckily my daughter was not home at the time. It still makes me furious when I think of it.
angry_smile.gif

OK, all done. Now let's see if the attempts to enter these spaces go up or down.
tounge_smile.gif

Back