My guest house update

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also have if possible some way for when the fire alarm goes off it rings you as well on your mobile. As from previously found from years in hotels when the alarms go off during the day people just sit there and carry on. During the night they get up and simply mill about like sheep. Also be aware that whatever you tell them to do in an emergency they won't do it. One of the things we are trialing which is something we did at the last hotel I worked at is if a person has a disability that would affect they ability to get out during a fire they have a orange door hanger on their door so they are easily identifiable to fire and rescue people. Also they have to fill in a form on check in in the larger hotels so that if there is a fire they can hand the list over to the fire brigade so they know who needs extra help. Also make sure they know to stay in their rooms as we had told them to stay till they were rescued but they didn't and were trapped on the landing instead of behind their fire doors. DUH!!!.
I would also have if possible some way for when the fire alarm goes off it rings you as well on your mobile.
With the system we have, if it's a fire alarm they call the fire department first, then call me on my mobile.
If it's any other sort of alarm (low backup battery, motion detector, door being opened, etc.) they call me first, verify my password, then let me decide if the police should be notified. If I don't answer, or don't give the correct password, they call the police.
It has worked well for us. Of course, most of the notices turn out to be false alarms so the police never get bothered.
That's the best way to do it. As when next door's alarm goes off (they are unmanned) people just wander about aimlessly. there have been occasions where the guests have had to ring the fire brigade and they have come and kicked all the doors in so I have a Bee in my bonet about these. Also my sister was on the ring list for a pub she worked at and they didn't update their details so they were still ringing her 5 years later when the alarm went off so that is something to keep in mind.

I would also have if possible some way for when the fire alarm goes off it rings you as well on your mobile. As from previously found from years in hotels when the alarms go off during the day people just sit there and carry on. During the night they get up and simply mill about like sheep. Also be aware that whatever you tell them to do in an emergency they won't do it. One of the things we are trialing which is something we did at the last hotel I worked at is if a person has a disability that would affect they ability to get out during a fire they have a orange door hanger on their door so they are easily identifiable to fire and rescue people. Also they have to fill in a form on check in in the larger hotels so that if there is a fire they can hand the list over to the fire brigade so they know who needs extra help. Also make sure they know to stay in their rooms as we had told them to stay till they were rescued but they didn't and were trapped on the landing instead of behind their fire doors. DUH!!!.
As from previously found from years in hotels when the alarms go off during the day people just sit there and carry on. During the night they get up and simply mill about like sheep.
VERY TRUE!! I was relief night audit on weekends for about 10 years. When that darn fire alarm went off at 3 a.m. (only once was it legit when some smokers huddled under an alarm trying to see it it would go off - ot did) people would call down to the desk asking "what is that noise?" "Is there a fire?" and all sorts of things and very few would get the hell out! When people complained to me about it, I would tell them I am very sorry you were disturbed, however you can now be certain that our fire alarm system DOES work.

Sounds very exciting and it is fun turning something into your dream place.
As long as you have the correct permits to run it without 24/7 staff, I see no problems with not having staff overnight. This is said with the exception of having an emergency contact for such times and that people are made aware of this when they book.
I can not tell you how many times people have asked me where we live - thinking we live elsewhere. And although WE were told that it was required to live on premise in this state, we since have learned that if it is the law, there are many side skirting this in other areas of the state.
We stayed in a B&B in my home town, no staff except during lunch time (they had a lunch cafe) and if someone was checking in (which was by appt. only). We were walk-ins and I guess just happened to come at a time when they were there. Felt strange to be in that old home alone and they had only pointed to the fridge saying what was in there for breakfast. The next morning upon opening the fridge, I found that it also served as their cafe fridge. That to me was a health code alert..
Thanks for the words of encouragement. On my family's recent trip to England/Ireland, we stayed in lots of homes and, after they showed us our rooms where/when to go for breakfast, we never bothered the owners again. They gave us keys to the front door so we could come and go as we pleased and we just took care of ourselves. Wouldn't have considered bothering them in the night.
So reading here on the forum, I get the feeling that American B&B owners, God bless 'em, are catering to the most demanding, helpless people on earth! Granted, it's a profession I know very little about, but it almost seems that all the pampering given to the American B&B guests has created a whole class of PITAs who could ONLY survive at an American B&B.
I'm thinking I need to stay away from giving potential guests any notion that mine is an American-style B&B. I need to aim toward more self-sufficient sorts of folks.
Arkansawyer said:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. On my family's recent trip to England/Ireland, we stayed in lots of homes and, after they showed us our rooms where/when to go for breakfast, we never bothered the owners again. They gave us keys to the front door so we could come and go as we pleased and we just took care of ourselves. Wouldn't have considered bothering them in the night.
So reading here on the forum, I get the feeling that American B&B owners, God bless 'em, are catering to the most demanding, helpless people on earth! Granted, it's a profession I know very little about, but it almost seems that all the pampering given to the American B&B guests has created a whole class of PITAs who could ONLY survive at an American B&B.
I'm thinking I need to stay away from giving potential guests any notion that mine is an American-style B&B. I need to aim toward more self-sufficient sorts of folks.
Why are we different? It stems back to early travel in Europe when home stays (aka B&Bs) were THE method of lodging when people traveled and hotels came in to provide more upscale choices... some home stays remained as they had, others evolved a bit. But in the US, there was not a large number of home stays and hotels quickly became the lodging standard of the US.
As the B&B industry blossomed, innkeepers had to provide something special to attract and then keep the guests coming back. If we provided the same experience as a hotel, we would not have become the industry that we have. I believe that is what we are trying to get across to you. There is (in general terms) a vast difference in the experience between European and US B&B's - no it is not like comparing apples to apples - no matter if they are all red! It is more like comparing peaches and plums - they come from the same family but each is uniquely different. BUT I am not saying your idea will not work, not at all - there are many establishments such as the one you describe...just make sure you are providing the facts in all your marketing so people understand what to expect.
Have fun putting your ideas into reality.

As long as you have the correct permits to run it without 24/7 staff, I see no problems with not having staff overnight. This is said with the exception of having an emergency contact for such times and that people are made aware of this when they book.
I can not tell you how many times people have asked me where we live - thinking we live elsewhere. And although WE were told that it was required to live on premise in this state, we since have learned that if it is the law, there are many side skirting this in other areas of the state.
We stayed in a B&B in my home town, no staff except during lunch time (they had a lunch cafe) and if someone was checking in (which was by appt. only). We were walk-ins and I guess just happened to come at a time when they were there. Felt strange to be in that old home alone and they had only pointed to the fridge saying what was in there for breakfast. The next morning upon opening the fridge, I found that it also served as their cafe fridge. That to me was a health code alert..
Arkansawyer said:
Ahhhh....It's the old chicken & the egg scenario. Which came first, PITAs or B&B owners. My vote goes toward PITAS. You've traveled, so I'm sure that you've experience the "Ugly American". I've traveled all over the world and can't tell you how many times I've witnessed Americans being rude, demanding and "ugly".
Americans want it their way. B&Bs used to be simple, like the kind found in most other countries. Our B&Bs now have to pamper to every need and want. As the price of our rooms got higher, so did the expectation of the public. Now there's TA to deal with...it makes the situation even worse.
There is definitely a niche for you to fill with your new guest house. I would book your place in a minute. I'm not your typical B&B guest. I like to be left alone. There's a lot of us out there. You just have to make sure that you market it correctly. Don't get me wrong, I love our guests, but if I had a place like what you're starting up I would last a lot longer in this industry.

No I mean, for Arkie to come visit OUR 1895 Inn, here. :) All innmates welcome!

Arkansawyer said:
Why are we different? It stems back to early travel in Europe when home stays (aka B&Bs) were THE method of lodging when people traveled and hotels came in to provide more upscale choices... some home stays remained as they had, others evolved a bit. But in the US, there was not a large number of home stays and hotels quickly became the lodging standard of the US.
As the B&B industry blossomed, innkeepers had to provide something special to attract and then keep the guests coming back. If we provided the same experience as a hotel, we would not have become the industry that we have. I believe that is what we are trying to get across to you. There is (in general terms) a vast difference in the experience between European and US B&B's - no it is not like comparing apples to apples - no matter if they are all red! It is more like comparing peaches and plums - they come from the same family but each is uniquely different. BUT I am not saying your idea will not work, not at all - there are many establishments such as the one you describe...just make sure you are providing the facts in all your marketing so people understand what to expect.
Have fun putting your ideas into reality.
But in the US, there was not a large number of home stays and hotels quickly became the lodging standard of the US.
Actually there were a lot of home stays and cabins - they were referred to as Tourist Homes and Tourist Cabins. But the Tourist Homes were a lot like going to Uncle Charlie's house and you get the guest room. Tourist Cabins or Tourist Courts had very small stand-alone rooms (we traveled when I was a kid and although we never stayed in any because we usually drove straight through - I longed to so I remember them). Then the H I chain and a few others came into being - remember the Howard Johnson chain? - that gave the every room the same so you know what you are getting put the small Tourist Homes and Tourist Cabins/Courts out of business. Interstate highways moved highway locations that were the death-knell of others. When Americans started traveling to Europe and discovering B & Bs there, the Tourist Home industry came back - but in a different format.

We have only one couple I would describe as full on PITA's in about 5 months so I am very happy with that (I have just jinxed myself havn't I?" We have just had the National Association of Flower Arranging Society and they were all lovely and no trouble at all I have never had so many hugs and tons of flowers!!! One lady said I was an angel because I said that when they come back (they are on a three year rotation) if she likes I will microwave a dinner for her if she brings one. (She was worried about eating in a restaurant on her own but then was so tired after flower arranging from 6.30am and setting off at 5am to get here by 4pm she fell asleep and didn't wake up till breakfast so dinner not an issue) People like these make up 150% for the tossers that you sometimes get. Some people are made so happy by things as simple as having a parking place or a cup of tea.

I had TWO definite pitas in the past month. The ignore-the-private-signs-kitchen-crashing-old-geezers and the-misery-beyond-repair couple we asked to leave. If someone doesn't think attitude can affect a place...the whole ambiance/aura or whatever term you want to use, mojo/karma/vibe then get a pair of miserable guests in your midst and you will soon be crying uncle.
Sometimes guests can bring me down while I bring them up. Like the ultra lovely super kind lady who stayed here as a personal retreat where she spent time fasting and in prayer while her drug addicted son was living on the streets and/or in jail. Sharing her sadness with me really was a downer. I felt for her, I hugged her, I don't even know her. But I was here for her. Her stay was very heavy.

We have only one couple I would describe as full on PITA's in about 5 months so I am very happy with that (I have just jinxed myself havn't I?" We have just had the National Association of Flower Arranging Society and they were all lovely and no trouble at all I have never had so many hugs and tons of flowers!!! One lady said I was an angel because I said that when they come back (they are on a three year rotation) if she likes I will microwave a dinner for her if she brings one. (She was worried about eating in a restaurant on her own but then was so tired after flower arranging from 6.30am and setting off at 5am to get here by 4pm she fell asleep and didn't wake up till breakfast so dinner not an issue) People like these make up 150% for the tossers that you sometimes get. Some people are made so happy by things as simple as having a parking place or a cup of tea..
I love to read your "expressions"...TOSSERS...that is such a good one for PITA :)

Yeah! Cambes reminded me of a word DH uses (from Rugby) he's a drop-kick.

Arkansawyer said:
I get the feeling that American B&B owners, God bless 'em, are catering to the most demanding, helpless people on earth....it almost seems that all the pampering given to the American B&B guests has created a whole class of PITAs who could ONLY survive at an American B&B.
You are responsible for the type of guests your Inn and it's advertising bring in, country of residence has nothing to do with it. If you have the typical "Dripping Vic", advertising every possible amenity, and promising luxury, breakfast with fine china and candlelight, and transports of historical ecstacy, and you are going to get the guests that expect it all and will demand even more.
Other than the little old lady that was upset about her cake, I haven't had anything approaching a PITA in a very good long time!

Arkansawyer said:
I get the feeling that American B&B owners, God bless 'em, are catering to the most demanding, helpless people on earth....it almost seems that all the pampering given to the American B&B guests has created a whole class of PITAs who could ONLY survive at an American B&B.
You are responsible for the type of guests your Inn and it's advertising bring in, country of residence has nothing to do with it. If you have the typical "Dripping Vic", advertising every possible amenity, and promising luxury, breakfast with fine china and candlelight, and transports of historical ecstacy, and you are going to get the guests that expect it all and will demand even more.
Other than the little old lady that was upset about her cake, I haven't had anything approaching a PITA in a very good long time!
That's good to hear. It's all about people's expectations. Makes sense. Much better to have them a little under-prepared, and pleasantly surprise them, than to have them expecting the moon and end up falling short of that.

Arkansawyer said:
That's good to hear. It's all about people's expectations. Makes sense. Much better to have them a little under-prepared, and pleasantly surprise them, than to have them expecting the moon and end up falling short of that.
I market that we are in a small city near rail-trails, covered bridges, etc, come back to Granny's house (that is because I AM a Granny) and that we have free WiFi. And then I knock their socks off with table setting and breakfast in the morning! MUCH more than they expect to see in Podunk, West Virginia.

LB I love your Drippin' Vic. :)
There is one up near Riki that we had an inn to inn recommendation with on our website, and I used your line and these guests laughed their heads off. I said I got it from you, this was the couple here from Michigan, so I mentioned your place to them. Drippin' Vic might have even been an understatement, it is indeed pink and heavily drippin' victorian style decor innside as well. :)

There is one up near Riki that we had an inn to inn recommendation with on our website, and I used your line and these guests laughed their heads off. I said I got it from you, this was the couple here from Michigan, so I mentioned your place to them. Drippin' Vic might have even been an understatement, it is indeed pink and heavily drippin' victorian style decor innside as well. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
LB I love your Drippin' Vic.
Yeah? Try saying it ten times real fast!
Let me also state that the cake lady took both my hands in hers at checkout, and stated that she can't wait to come back, and on and on, and even kissed me on the cheek...and she hugs harder than any man. Left her glowing bb.com review card all filled out in the room. Ya just never know, do ya?? Maybe it was the ice cream that I bought to go with the cherry pie she picked for dessert??

I love the idea of a guest house. See although I am an innkeeper I am more into doing my own thang, and that is more my idea of a fun weekend away.
I had a room who wanted an early check in today to close on some property near here so I left them a note and went for a lake swim. They called Dh's cell phone upset as they just could not work out how to get in. The email last night and the note gave them the four digit code. For some reason people think you push the buttons in and then the 115 year old door just automatically opens. So the "unmanned" part of your venture will indeed be interesting. People are used to being baby sat me thinks, apron strings (ie cell phones) and all that.
I asked DH how many times did they try it before they phoned? Did you have them try it while you were on the other end of the line? Yes, and of course they opened it then just fine..
Joey Bloggs said:
I love the idea of a guest house.
Me too...wish we had a 'keeper of a true guesthouse on the forum, it would be nice to have that persepective.
I came up with the term "guest house" for my place based on the definitions at
http://www.jedburgh-online.org.uk/accommodation.asp
It's the Scottish Tourist Board Grading System definitions, but they're the best I could find in a quick search. They define a guest house as "usually a commercial business with a minimum of 4 letting bedrooms, of which some will have en-suite or private facilities. Breakfast will be available and evening meals may be provided."
That definition matches my place better than any of the others they list.
There are quite a few unattended "guest houses" in Texas. They will often leave breakfast fixin's or a continental in a guest fridge in their room. The guests pick up the key from a lock box along with instructions & their credit card receipt and they are good to go. As long as people are aware of exactly what services and amenities you're offering, it should be fine.

Arkansawyer said:
I can probably count the PITAs we had on one hand and not use all the fingers.
wink_smile.gif
Just don't try to be something that you are not.....

There is one up near Riki that we had an inn to inn recommendation with on our website, and I used your line and these guests laughed their heads off. I said I got it from you, this was the couple here from Michigan, so I mentioned your place to them. Drippin' Vic might have even been an understatement, it is indeed pink and heavily drippin' victorian style decor innside as well. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
LB I love your Drippin' Vic.
Yeah? Try saying it ten times real fast!
Let me also state that the cake lady took both my hands in hers at checkout, and stated that she can't wait to come back, and on and on, and even kissed me on the cheek...and she hugs harder than any man. Left her glowing bb.com review card all filled out in the room. Ya just never know, do ya?? Maybe it was the ice cream that I bought to go with the cherry pie she picked for dessert??
You'll always remember her as "The Cake Lady", too.
regular_smile.gif

WOW! All I can say is good luck! You have some mighty big plans there and I sure hope it all works out for you. I still think you should have some kind of staff person on duty during the night. It just makes good sense and could avoid problems. Doesn't have to be a live in innkeeper but just someone there to "mind the store" so to speak. They could be the ones to prep the continental breakfast for the morning.
Yes I too am wondering about sprinker system. Can't believe that you wouldn't have to have that in such a commercial operation..
I'll certainly mention the sprinkler system to the architect. He's handling the code requirements. I've never seen a hotel around here without a sprinkler system and since we're basically starting from scratch inside with a near-total rebuild, putting in sprinklers makes good sense.
I've just stayed at so many guest houses around the world, and agriturismos in Italy, that leave the place just to the guests at night, that I don't see the problem. As some have mentioned, this is in many ways more of a vacation rental than a B&B. People stay in vacation rentals all the time and don't seem to require the hand-holding of a night manager.
But still, if it's ever a problem I can have the convenience store open 24/7. They'd have a long, boring night in this little town of 7000, though! The only things open after 11 p.m. are the hospital and the police station (and I suspect those police are sleeping).
There are different people all in your building...you may say vacation rental..but I don't see it like that..I see it as a small boutique hotel. Hotels always have some sort of staff present. It is different if you are renting say a cabin or a cottage. Then yes, I agree know one has to be on site. Just doesn't seem right to me.
We stayed at a small B & B in my hometown. No one was there...and I wandered around the place thinking about all kinds of things...I was not comfortable. Was the former funeral home where they laid out "Pretty Boy FLoyd" :)
There was a fully stocked kitchen and anyone could go in and help themselves and make their own breakfast. All sorts of frozen goodies, juices, pastries, cereal etc etc. It just didn't feel like a B & B to me and we never went back.
Several years ago in Charlottesville there was a terrible fire at an inn. 2 people died and several injured. No one was on duty and the fire alarms did not work. That was enough for our association to require members to live on site, or have wired in smoke detector systems.
catlady said:
That was enough for our association to require members to live on site, or have wired in smoke detector systems.
I'll definitely have a sprinkler system and smoke detectors set to dial the fire department automatically. People will be safer than they are in their own bedroom at home, sleeping away at night with just a battery-powered smoke detector and no sprinkler system.
Also, I'll need an burglar alarm system that dials the police if there's a break-in on a night when the place is sitting empty.
All this, even with higher insurance cost, will surely still be cheaper than paying someone to sit there and read a book 7 nights a week.
Now, if someone can think of something that person could be doing all night that won't disturb the guests' sleeping and will pay the salary of the night watchman, I'd love to hear it. Stuffing envelopes or other piece work? (I'm not being a smarty. I'm serious. I'd love to have someone there 24/7, just need to make the extra staff payroll-neutral.)
Arkansawyer said:
Now, if someone can think of something that person could be doing all night that won't disturb the guests' sleeping and will pay the salary of the night watchman, I'd love to hear it. Stuffing envelopes or other piece work? (I'm not being a smarty. I'm serious. I'd love to have someone there 24/7, just need to make the extra staff payroll-neutral.)
Oh gosh, there are lots of things that could be done during the night shift to make the day shift run more smoothly. Laundry comes to mind right off the top. Then there's the website maintenance, directory maintenance, rez processing, menu planning, ironing, credit card processing,...they might not be bringing in revenue, but they could be useful and help the whole operation run more smoothly.

Back