My Home Area

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
This was in Trip Info this morning. This is about 25 miles from where I grew up. Went by it often in its original location.
CHESTER, WV – Fancy a Spot of Tea? Visit to the World's Largest Teapot! Constructed in 1938, See the Chester Teapot:
http://www.topofwv.com/attractions.html
[tr]
image_teapot.jpg
[/td]The World's Largest Teapot In 1938 The Chester Teapot was constructed by William "Babe" Devon. The Teapot started its life as a gigantic wooden hogshead barrel for a Hire's Root Beer advertising campaign. A spout and handle were added at this time and the wooden barrel was covered with tin to form the teapot's shape. A large glass ball was placed on top to make the knob of the "lid".
After many changes and uses over the years, the Teapot had fallen into disrepair. In 1990, extensive renovations were undertaken, and the Teapot was moved to a location adjacent to the Jennings Randolph Bridge Ramp, at the junction of State Route 2 and U.S. Route 30. The Teapot was officially dedicated at a ceremony held on October 12, 1990.
Located in Chester, WV.
[/td][/tr][/table]

I grew up with this TEAPOT. It used to sit on the main street of the town. Filled with lots of local souvenirs and lots of Fiesta Pottery as I remember it. YOu can't get inside of it now..it is in a fenced in area as you approach the bridge...all you can do is look. And when I was there at Christmas, it was looking like it needed a new paint job. I have a better pic than this one.
I was also pleased to see that they have restored an old park / used to be a zoo in the 20's in my home town. Nice to see folks there still care. Town hasn't really improved any but glad someone has taken an interest in their past.

Back