My Introduction

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amkaylor

Reaction score
I have commented a couple of times and sort of introduced myself, but as I see this forum becoming a place I visit every day, I feel like an official hello is in order.
My name is Annalise, and my husband and I (we're coming up on our one year wedding anniversary!) are aspiring innkeepers. It's something that, prior to even dating, we both had always wanted. We discovered that we both had that dream in common and we've been fixated ever since. We are still very much in the infancy stages of planning. Right now, we are working hard to save up the downpayment and the funds for the first year or so of operation. We have a timeline goal of being ready to start operating our business in about seven years. It seems far away right now, but it's important to us to prepare well, have the financing we need, and to make sure we are dedicated to making a lifestyle change. I joined the forum because I've found this place to have the most honest, realistic information online, coming from people who live and breathe the business. There seems to be no better resource than those who do it!
Our focus for our B&B is to make sure it's eco-friendly. We'd like it to be off the grid, and fairly self-sustaining. This isn't a reach for us. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, my husband is in the "green" construction and remodeling industry. He is LEED certified (a third party certification that he meets requirements for the highest eco-friendly practices in the US) remodeling carpenter, who started in that niche about 11 years ago. In my early 20s (We are both in our early 30s), I was a pastry chef and worked in some fabulous kitchens. Now I am a writer full time, and I work from my home. I still love to cook and bake, however, and I am excited to share recipes and try some of the ones I've seen posted here.
We currently live the lifestyle that we'd like to incorporate into our business. We installed solar on our home, and often find ourselves with credits on our electric bill. It's wonderful for them to owe us for a change! ;) We are both organic gardeners and we participate in the slow foods/localvore movement. It's something that is important to us, but we know it's not a lifestyle for everyone and we can respect that. I guess what I am trying to say is that though those issues are things of great importance in our lives, we are not the type to harp on people or force it down their throats as some people can be.
I do have questions, but I am still reading a lot of the archives. I am writing our business plan now, and the thread on that has been helpful. Thank you everyone for making me feel at home here already! I look forward to reading more and more, and becoming a participant more often.

Welcome to the group! You both seem to have your heads on straight and are being very realistic. That is great! You are doing things right...read, read, read, ask questions..lots of questions, attend some aspiring workshops, plan, plan, plan and above all SAVE SAVE SAVE!!!!!

Here is one in our area that specializes in solar and home grown food. www.bhfbb.com (the Flash site is killing them but that's a different topic altogether ;) )

Here is one in our area that specializes in solar and home grown food. www.bhfbb.com (the Flash site is killing them but that's a different topic altogether ;) ).
You are right there!!! If it was a good Flash site it might not matter but this one is not:-(

I'm looking forward to getting you visit with you guys! Welcome!

Welcome.You are correct - we are FULL of opinions but we are also a friendly, well-meaning sort who would rather bruise a feeling or two than allow someone to go down what we consider to be a wrong path.
Read some of the posts about photos and you will see it is not just Aspirings and Newbies that we are willing to bruise.

Welcome.You are correct - we are FULL of opinions but we are also a friendly, well-meaning sort who would rather bruise a feeling or two than allow someone to go down what we consider to be a wrong path.
Read some of the posts about photos and you will see it is not just Aspirings and Newbies that we are willing to bruise..
gillumhouse said:
Read some of the posts about photos and you will see it is not just Aspirings and Newbies that we are willing to bruise.
I am aspiring, too. One of the MANY things I've learned on this forum is that bruises heal. In all that I have read and been flacked for, I haven't had my spirit or my desire to be an innkeeper BROKEN. I am an Innkeeper Assistant and have seen the dirtier side of innkeeping. It's usually the side that most aspirings DON'T see. That STILL hasn't scared me off yet.
Those of us who really desire to do it won't be scared away by all the bad things that are posted here. I know that I use the experiences of others as learning tools that I can file away in my memory for when it's MY turn.
Good luck to you. There are quite a few of us in the same boat as you. As someone said on another post: "The ride is exhilarating!!!"

Welcome to the group! You both seem to have your heads on straight and are being very realistic. That is great! You are doing things right...read, read, read, ask questions..lots of questions, attend some aspiring workshops, plan, plan, plan and above all SAVE SAVE SAVE!!!!!.
Thank you so much! It is wonderful to hear that you think we're starting out in the right direction!

Here is one in our area that specializes in solar and home grown food. www.bhfbb.com (the Flash site is killing them but that's a different topic altogether ;) ).
Thanks! I will make sure to check out their site.
Preliminary scrolling of the site makes my eyes hurt.

Read some of the posts about photos and you will see it is not just Aspirings and Newbies that we are willing to bruise..
I've spent a couple of hours reading through the site so far, and the bruising is one of the things I like about it. So much of the information out there is this sugar-coated ideal. I've worked in hospitality long enough to know that even though the public might have this romantic notion of running an inn, it takes a lot of work to pull off that ideal. It's usually the people who make everything look easy that work the hardest, it seems. Anyhow, there is no point investing my time and money in something only to be let down. I'd rather have a realistic picture and honesty up front so I can be prepared.

gillumhouse said:
Ouch! I resemble that remark!

I've spent a couple of hours reading through the site so far, and the bruising is one of the things I like about it. So much of the information out there is this sugar-coated ideal. I've worked in hospitality long enough to know that even though the public might have this romantic notion of running an inn, it takes a lot of work to pull off that ideal. It's usually the people who make everything look easy that work the hardest, it seems. Anyhow, there is no point investing my time and money in something only to be let down. I'd rather have a realistic picture and honesty up front so I can be prepared.
amkaylor said:
AGAIN WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!
It is so interesting that anyone new here either thinks everyone is mean and tells us so and goes away, or the opposite falls right in and gets useful info like it is intended, appreciates the honesty and forthrightness of the forum.
I often wonder about the "you guys are mean and hurt my feelings" if they ever really opened an Inn or not? I think the majority on this forum are incredible people all with varying personalities who contribute much, from all diff angles. That is the bonus versus reading a book with just one view.
You will learn more on this forum than 15 books! Ask and they will tell.
welcome.gif

amkaylor said:
It is so interesting that anyone new here either thinks everyone is mean and tells us so and goes away, or the opposite falls right in and gets useful info like it is intended, appreciates the honesty and forthrightness of the forum.
I often wonder about the "you guys are mean and hurt my feelings" if they ever really opened an Inn or not? I think the majority on this forum are incredible people all with varying personalities who contribute much, from all diff angles. That is the bonus versus reading a book with just one view.
welcome.gif

Thanks! I feel like I have already learned more than a book. Not to mention the wonderful cookie dough no-bake truffles that are currently chilling in my fridge. Mmmm.

gillumhouse said:
I am aspiring, too. One of the MANY things I've learned on this forum is that bruises heal. In all that I have read and been flacked for, I haven't had my spirit or my desire to be an innkeeper BROKEN. I am an Innkeeper Assistant and have seen the dirtier side of innkeeping. It's usually the side that most aspirings DON'T see. That STILL hasn't scared me off yet.
Those of us who really desire to do it won't be scared away by all the bad things that are posted here. I know that I use the experiences of others as learning tools that I can file away in my memory for when it's MY turn.
Good luck to you. There are quite a few of us in the same boat as you. As someone said on another post: "The ride is exhilarating!!!"
Oh, come on...a few bruises are good for ya
regular_smile.gif
Seriously, when you're a new innkeeper and you have cost overruns and your credit cards are up there and you have a couple of mortgages, you'll be thanking us that you went into this with your eyes open!
whattha.gif

gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif
Seriously, when you're a new innkeeper and you have cost overruns and your credit cards are up there and you have a couple of mortgages, you'll be thanking us that you went into this with your eyes open!
whattha.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
whattha.gif
Hey where did that emoticon come from!!! Was that the one I requested. You stinker.

See my reply above
regular_smile.gif
welcome.gif
Good to know that you realize that we only speak the truth from experience here! btw - it took me a long time to finally find a place & open, so hang in there!

gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif
whattha.gif

Samster said:
you'll be thanking us that you went into this with your eyes open!
whattha.gif
Yes, I will!!
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif
whattha.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
whattha.gif
Hey where did that emoticon come from!!! Was that the one I requested. You stinker.
My Firefox was updated & there were the new emoticons in the box. YAY!

amkaylor said:
welcome.gif

welcome.gif

[/quote]
And tell some more...sometimes more than you ask for.
teeth_smile.gif

Hello amkaylor! Best wishes for your B&B, inn dreams coming true. Sounds like you're on your way to realizing them.
Tina

Back