My last days here ...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
last guests are booked for around the 18th, then i pack up my personal stuff and leave.
i don't know what will happen to the place when i go. i don't know if the interested party is going to buy it or not, but i am dissolving my 'partnership'.
i'm to turn over the 'customer list', the checkbook and the administration of the website. i am going to remove the blog link from the website since the blog is just my personal addition.
do you think i should send an email to prior guests saying goodbye? i can't tell them if the place will be 'under new management' next summer or not. i am removing all the cc numbers from our accounting system because i believe that is the correct thing to do.
any thoughts?

i would probably remove the cc #'s as well. probably not required but as a good security measure.
best of luck in your new ventures! i'm sure it's probably a bittersweet time for you, huh?

Weren't you the only hands on partner? Meaning the one being face to face with guests? If yes, and you are sure you will not be back there as innkeeper, then...
Yes, send the guests a good bye letter. You have made friends with those guests especially the repeat guests and they would feel shocked if they returned next year and had not heard of you moving on.
Don't know if you mentioned this on another thread, but do you have plans that you are willing to share?

i would probably remove the cc #'s as well. probably not required but as a good security measure.
best of luck in your new ventures! i'm sure it's probably a bittersweet time for you, huh?.
It is required. It is actually required by your processor that CC data be purged as soon as the transaction is completed. A single fine for loss of data is a game-ender for any innowner.

do you think i should send an email to prior guests saying goodbye? i can't tell them if the place will be 'under new management' next summer or not.
I'd probably only send it to repeat or "special" guests. I would word it to describe that it will be under new management. I consider management to be you as you were the smiling laughing face of the inn. So if you are not there, even if the other person still owns it, the management will indeed be different.

I agree with what Swirt said.
It will impact your B&B's business, though. There's at least one B&B that we went back to solely because we really liked the innkeeper (who was managing for the absentee owners). When she was gone, why go back? The new innkeeper may have been just as wonderful, but we'd only intended to go to the place once, anyway.
Be sure you take ALL of your personal stuff!!!! Doesn't sound like you owe them much...
Here's hoping and praying you land in a place so marvelous, so wonderful, that you're thankful it ended as it did to get you to where you'll be.
=)
Kk.

SS, it has always been my belief that when when one door closes, another one opens. You were meant to be where you were - among other reasons so each of us on this Forum could meet you.
The next phase of your life is waiting for you. I am sure it will be something wonderful. Please let us know how you are - either on the Forum (we hope you will still be HERE) or via e-mail as you have our addresses.
I am going to miss your Innkeeping Emergency 101 classes.
I do think you should e-mail your "special" guests and the repeats. I am sure they will want to know that you have "moved on" and perhaps even let them know how you are when you reach your "next phase".
Goodnight for now. We will say see you later next week.

sad_smile.gif
It must be a bittersweet time for you with all of the energy and love that you've put into the place.
I agree that you should be absolutely sure to remove all of your personal items...
Will say see you around next week and hope that your next adventure is even better!
regular_smile.gif

I know this is a hard time for you but I think you know it is time to move on. Make sure you take all you have that is yours with you. I would not leave anything behind for someone else if you put YOUR money in for it. Yes, all CC info should be deleted.
As far as writing to the guests, I would not unless there are some that you became really close to. Then you could let them know so if they come back looking for you, they will know you won't be there.
Please do keep in touch with us and let us know what you next adventure is going to be. You will be a success at it I am sure.
All best wishes
teeth_smile.gif

Please stay on the forum, you are an innkeeper, and we will miss you if you are not here with us. We wish you all the best in whatever road you travel. You have good things in store!

possible future plan: i went to a wedding in september. was invited to a brunch at the b&b where the bridesmaids had been staying. i was looking around thinking ... they need help! it was so disorganized. but i kept my thoughts to myself, simply said it was a lovely place (it is)
the innsitter for the weekend was clearly overwhelmed with just 4 guestrooms. someone had bought the house intending to live in it. i am not sure what happened there. now three families are running it together and no one seems to be in charge. someone came up with the idea to 'just run it as a b&b' as we all know, there is no 'just' running a b&b
they are looking for help .... i don't know if the money aspect would be practical but it might just be a shoe that fits my foot.
other ideas brewing. i'll let you know. for now, i need to run this place as usual and then pack up.

On the business side- you the business shouldn't hold onto the cc numbers regardless, so yes, dump them. As for previous guests, if you know the inn will still be open and you know you will not be back, I'd send an upbeat note saying you enjoyed meeting them and you hope they will continue to return. If you can't be upbeat, don't send anything. If you have any idea what your plans are, maybe pop that in there, too. I wouldn't get too detailed, tho. 'The inn is for sale, I've had a wonderful time being the resident innkeeper, etc...'
Then pack your things and get the heck outta there.
On the personal side- oh golly, please don't lose touch, we'll miss you terribly. And stop in on your way by so we can meet in person!

I think I wouldn't notify past guests unless there was some who you'd become friends with. Those I'd let know I was moving on.
Things will work out for you. I'm sure of it!

possible future plan: i went to a wedding in september. was invited to a brunch at the b&b where the bridesmaids had been staying. i was looking around thinking ... they need help! it was so disorganized. but i kept my thoughts to myself, simply said it was a lovely place (it is)
the innsitter for the weekend was clearly overwhelmed with just 4 guestrooms. someone had bought the house intending to live in it. i am not sure what happened there. now three families are running it together and no one seems to be in charge. someone came up with the idea to 'just run it as a b&b' as we all know, there is no 'just' running a b&b
they are looking for help .... i don't know if the money aspect would be practical but it might just be a shoe that fits my foot.
other ideas brewing. i'll let you know. for now, i need to run this place as usual and then pack up..
Wow, I just got started here but realize you have offered up a huge amount of valuable input. Best of luck and happy landings.

I will continue to keep my ear out (as I am sure we all will) for any prospects that might be of interest to you. I know you are not one to ask for help, but if there is any way I can be of help, don't hesitate to ask.

Back