My life could be a sitcom, except I am not laughing.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I be a fly on the wall tomorrow at your place? I can't say that I have ever had anyone Japanese stay with us, full stop..
Joey Bloggs said:
May I be a fly on the wall tomorrow at your place? I can't say that I have ever had anyone Japanese stay with us, full stop.
We have had several with some being repeat guests. The second stay they brought out their laptop and showed us family photos of a reunion. We felt like family that were unable to attend - lol. One night the wife brought out origami papers and we all (all guests & us) sat around the coffee table while she taught us to make different patterns. They send us Christmas cards too. Lovely.
We had a retired S. Korean General stay with us. I think he still thought he was in the service...very tight lipped and walked like he was marching. Wife was very pleasent and joked that he needed to loosen up (can't remember her words but we got what she meant)

There is a difference in a yankee and a damn yankee. (Look it up if you don't already know the difference)
As for Charleston and Savannah they have huge Irish populations there due to the rivers and one of the biggest St Paddy's parades in the USA..
Joey Bloggs said:
There is a difference in a yankee and a damn yankee. (Look it up if you don't already know the difference)
As for Charleston and Savannah they have huge Irish populations there due to the rivers and one of the biggest St Paddy's parades in the USA.
Yup I agree JB there is a big difference.
wink_smile.gif
And there are some other areas of the south that do some big St. Paddy's parades and are predominantly Catholic to boot.
teeth_smile.gif

I do think that some of these tours add so much drama to it you begin to think the battles are still going on. One of the tours we went on in Natchez was like that.
And in my DH's family history they have documents showing how they had brothers who fought on opposing sides.

Update - So far, so good.
It is interesting to me, what other cultures think of Americans.
It seems that American women smile too much.
we 'show teeth like monkey'.
I guess that is frowned upon in Japan?

I guess that is frowned upon in Japan?.
The Farmers Daughter said:
I guess that is frowned upon in Japan?
What? Are you kidding? Have you not seen how Japanese women cover their mouths when they laugh or giggle? It is cultural.
But yes, Americans are known for big bright straight teethy grins, vs missing and brown teeth. I say it so often, Is there no dental care overseas? (I say that as in our own county here there is a lot of poor hygiene issues and lack of dental care due to cost - but Americans are known for caring about their smiles).
teeth_smile.gif

It seems that American women smile too much. we 'show teeth like monkey'.
That is funny because the TOJO pictures of WWII were all glasses & teeth.
Edited to add: That was the men though.

Wow! What an interesting breakfast that might be. We regularly have Brits and Germans in the same room and they seem to handle it rather well. Heck, we have southerners all the time and they don't bring up the Civil War.
I think people who travel are fairly enlightened that they might run into someone with a differing 'opinion' than their own..
Good grief! Not all Southerners are still re-living the Civil War. That's a pretty big generalization!
Samster said:
Good grief! Not all Southerners are still re-living the Civil War. That's a pretty big generalization!
Some still are. Last year I took Tommy Dew's walking tour of Charleston SC and learned that it's not just the Northerners that are disliked, but the Irish and Catholics too!
sad_smile.gif
By the end of the tour my DH and kids and I were wayyyy in the back. I love Charleston but I left feeling a bit icky.
Country Girl said:
Some still are. Last year I took Tommy Dew's walking tour of Charleston SC and learned that it's not just the Northerners that are disliked, but the Irish and Catholics too!
sad_smile.gif
By the end of the tour my DH and kids and I were wayyyy in the back. I love Charleston but I left feeling a bit icky.
I think Tommy Dew gave you some really bad information. The mayor of Charleston is not only extremely popular, he's Irish and Catholic. Many Charlestonians are.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Country Girl said:
sad_smile.gif
I think Tommy Dew gave you some really bad information. The mayor of Charleston is not only extremely popular, he's Irish and Catholic. Many Charlestonians are.
Yes, he certainly gave a slanted view of the Irish. The Irish immigrants were forced to fight if they couldn't pay the $300.00 commutation fee needed to buy their way out. No one had that much money. I would have found his tour much more interesting if he had told the whole truth. But, I still love Charleston and Charlestonians. One of my sisters teaches at the College of Charleston.

Wow! What an interesting breakfast that might be. We regularly have Brits and Germans in the same room and they seem to handle it rather well. Heck, we have southerners all the time and they don't bring up the Civil War.
I think people who travel are fairly enlightened that they might run into someone with a differing 'opinion' than their own..
Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
sad_smile.gif
Innkeeper To Go said:
Country Girl said:
sad_smile.gif
Yes, he certainly gave a slanted view of the Irish. The Irish immigrants were forced to fight if they couldn't pay the $300.00 commutation fee needed to buy their way out. No one had that much money. I would have found his tour much more interesting if he had told the whole truth. But, I still love Charleston and Charlestonians. One of my sisters teaches at the College of Charleston.
The Irish were discriminated across America when they first arrived. Charleston was no different although it has a larger than average community of Irish who continue to live there. It also has the oldest Catholic church in the country and a very large Catholic community. Both are as much a fiber of Charleston's continuing history as any of its diverse members.
Sounds like Tommy Dew was trying to stir up controversy that simply doesn't exist in order to have a more exciting tour.
Charleston is full of legitimate stories and interest. No conjured controversies necessary.

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
sad_smile.gif
Innkeeper To Go said:
Country Girl said:
sad_smile.gif
The Irish were discriminated across America when they first arrived. Charleston was no different although it has a larger than average community of Irish who continue to live there. It also has the oldest Catholic church in the country and a very large Catholic community. Both are as much a fiber of Charleston's continuing history as any of its diverse members.
Sounds like Tommy Dew was trying to stir up controversy that simply doesn't exist in order to have a more exciting tour.
Charleston is full of legitimate stories and interest. No conjured controversies necessary.
Amen!
cheers.gif

It is considered rude by some old style Japanese it stems from the old days when people had bad teeth so if you smiled you were showing all your horrible black teeth obviously we all have dentists now but you will find that old style Japanses cover their mouths when they smile. Its just a cultural thing. They also believe letting your hair go grey when your parents are alive is rude as it is like saying look how old you are because even your children are going grey.

Plus English and Germans tend to be ok (comming from a brit) the only time you have trouble is football season in the world cup as we are both fiercly competative. English and German cultures bond together over mutual dislike of the French.

Plus English and Germans tend to be ok (comming from a brit) the only time you have trouble is football season in the world cup as we are both fiercly competative. English and German cultures bond together over mutual dislike of the French..
. . . English and German cultures bond together over mutual dislike of the French.
Common enemies are the root of some of the best friendships! :)

Plus English and Germans tend to be ok (comming from a brit) the only time you have trouble is football season in the world cup as we are both fiercly competative. English and German cultures bond together over mutual dislike of the French..
English and German cultures bond together over mutual dislike of the French.
My Fabulous Frenchie DH got a chuckle out of that all-too-true statement!

We had a whole houseful of Oriental guests, don't know if they where from Japan or not, but they had rented the guest house and the other room in the main house-20 minus the one blond haired guy who married an oriental.
I was looking for recipes to see what orientals usually had for breakfast and it came up with RICE. So I found a recipe for bacon fried rice, they LOVED it and its not like they didn't know English or anything but when I gave the recipe to my husband he said "what in the world is this" but made it anyway, it turned out good but simple...

My DH laughs as he works in a large hotel and a lot of the Japanese guests take pictures of the breakfast there as it is soo different to what they are used to.

Yesterday, an innkeeper told me of her worst breakfast table experience. She only has 2 rooms. Room #1 guests were raw food vegans. Room #2 was a cattle rancher. I understand it got very ugly over the breakfast table until the innkeeper stopped them! YIKES

Yesterday, an innkeeper told me of her worst breakfast table experience. She only has 2 rooms. Room #1 guests were raw food vegans. Room #2 was a cattle rancher. I understand it got very ugly over the breakfast table until the innkeeper stopped them! YIKES.
Now that is harsh! I would have tried to get them in separate rooms for breakfast.

Yesterday, an innkeeper told me of her worst breakfast table experience. She only has 2 rooms. Room #1 guests were raw food vegans. Room #2 was a cattle rancher. I understand it got very ugly over the breakfast table until the innkeeper stopped them! YIKES.
Breakfast Diva said:
Yesterday, an innkeeper told me of her worst breakfast table experience. She only has 2 rooms. Room #1 guests were raw food vegans. Room #2 was a cattle rancher. I understand it got very ugly over the breakfast table until the innkeeper stopped them! YIKES
Whew! I am glad to hear I am not the only Innkeeper in these situations. My guests turned out to be perfectly fine and there were no problems what so ever!

Breakfast Diva said:
Whew! I am glad to hear I am not the only Innkeeper in these situations. My guests turned out to be perfectly fine and there were no problems what so ever!
I guess things really started flying when the raw vegan started talking about abortion. Come on people, isn't anything sacred during breakfast?!?!?!?!?!
When I hear these stories I'm really glad that I deliver breakfast! I know there's many more warm & fuzzy stories than bad ones though
wink_smile.gif

Back