My life could be a sitcom, except I am not laughing.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Ever feel like the Universe has you in their sites?
I do.
Sometimes I feel like I could be directly in their line of fire.
Tomorrow morning at the breakfast table, I have
wait for it.......wait......wait....
A WW11 vet and a retired Japanese Naval Commander.
I might just quit tonight.

It might be ok sometimes you just get lucky and they will eat at completely different times.

May I be a fly on the wall tomorrow at your place? I can't say that I have ever had anyone Japanese stay with us, full stop.

May I be a fly on the wall tomorrow at your place? I can't say that I have ever had anyone Japanese stay with us, full stop..
Joey Bloggs said:
May I be a fly on the wall tomorrow at your place? I can't say that I have ever had anyone Japanese stay with us, full stop.
You may stand in for me, if you like. To be honest, I'm a bit unnerved.

You really MUST write a book. Your cast of characters and circumstances is best seller material!
regular_smile.gif

You really MUST write a book. Your cast of characters and circumstances is best seller material!
regular_smile.gif
white pine said:
regular_smile.gif
Funny you should mention that. Originally I had this idea that after 10 years of Innkeeping, I was going to write a book entitled
"What I found under the bed - Memoirs of an Innkeeper".
Maybe I will when I find the time.
I vow to give free copies away to people who think this job is a walk in the park.

regular_smile.gif
white pine said:
regular_smile.gif
Funny you should mention that. Originally I had this idea that after 10 years of Innkeeping, I was going to write a book entitled
I vow to give free copies away to people who think this job is a walk in the park.
You really do get them...start making some notes..then one day in the future...go for it.

Wow! What an interesting breakfast that might be. We regularly have Brits and Germans in the same room and they seem to handle it rather well. Heck, we have southerners all the time and they don't bring up the Civil War.
I think people who travel are fairly enlightened that they might run into someone with a differing 'opinion' than their own.

May I be a fly on the wall tomorrow at your place? I can't say that I have ever had anyone Japanese stay with us, full stop..
Joey Bloggs said:
We have. And we've had Japanese Americans who joined our Navy immediately after Pearl Harbor. Incredibly amazing stories. (And I know you love a good story!)

Wow! What an interesting breakfast that might be. We regularly have Brits and Germans in the same room and they seem to handle it rather well. Heck, we have southerners all the time and they don't bring up the Civil War.
I think people who travel are fairly enlightened that they might run into someone with a differing 'opinion' than their own..
Good grief! Not all Southerners are still re-living the Civil War. That's a pretty big generalization!

Joey Bloggs said:
We have. And we've had Japanese Americans who joined our Navy immediately after Pearl Harbor. Incredibly amazing stories. (And I know you love a good story!)
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
The Japanese couple just arrived. They are very, very nice and do not speak much English at all. What I got out of them so far, is that they have been to Lancaster and Hershey PA. And are now on their way back to NYC before traveling home to Tokyo.
I understand going to Hershey was on the wifes' bucket list of things to do before they got too old to travel. That is kinda sweet. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
The Japanese couple just arrived. They are very, very nice and do not speak much English at all. What I got out of them so far, is that they have been to Lancaster and Hershey PA. And are now on their way back to NYC before traveling home to Tokyo.
I understand going to Hershey was on the wifes' bucket list of things to do before they got too old to travel. That is kinda sweet. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.
regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
A sweet tour to Hershey....no pun intended! haha.... I could smell the chocolate just reading that!

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
A sweet tour to Hershey....no pun intended! haha.... I could smell the chocolate just reading that!
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
oy! I should have seen that coming.

regular_smile.gif
white pine said:
regular_smile.gif
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!
thumbs_up.gif

I think people who travel are fairly enlightened that they might run into someone with a differing 'opinion' than their own..
Good grief! Not all Southerners are still re-living the Civil War. That's a pretty big generalization!
Samster said:
Some still are. Last year I took Tommy Dew's walking tour of Charleston SC and learned that it's not just the Northerners that are disliked, but the Irish and Catholics too!
sad_smile.gif
By the end of the tour my DH and kids and I were wayyyy in the back. I love Charleston but I left feeling a bit icky.

Former enemies have been known to get together by accident or on purpose. I would expect an interesting conversation but would not be concerned that there will be "fireworks". I expect they will be respectful of each other. This is not 1946.

Former enemies have been known to get together by accident or on purpose. I would expect an interesting conversation but would not be concerned that there will be "fireworks". I expect they will be respectful of each other. This is not 1946..
This thread reminds me of a story my dad said his grandfather, a civil war vet, told.
After the war he was traveling, and stayed at a boarding house. He met another veteran and started comparing notes. They both had been in the same area, and both had been sharp shooters and reconnaissance. Long story short-- turns out my great-grandfather had SHOT this guy in the leg! Said they had a good laugh about it!

Samster said:
Some still are. Last year I took Tommy Dew's walking tour of Charleston SC and learned that it's not just the Northerners that are disliked, but the Irish and Catholics too!
sad_smile.gif
By the end of the tour my DH and kids and I were wayyyy in the back. I love Charleston but I left feeling a bit icky.
We ran across that in Charleston, too. On a tour of Fort Sumter was a group of schoolkids sporting t-shirts wishing death to Yankees. (And not the baseball team.) Schoolkids. On a school trip. I was disgusted. But, being one of the damned, I kept my mouth shut. (I was also outnumbered.)

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
sad_smile.gif
I think Tommy Dew gave you some really bad information. The mayor of Charleston is not only extremely popular, he's Irish and Catholic. Many Charlestonians are.

There is a difference in a yankee and a damn yankee. (Look it up if you don't already know the difference)
As for Charleston and Savannah they have huge Irish populations there due to the rivers and one of the biggest St Paddy's parades in the USA.

Back