My New Favorite Thing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Cool little plastic see-through bird feeder that suction cups to any window. This Daddy Cardinal is the prettiest visitor we've had so far...also seen house finches, sparrows and one lone black-capped chickadee. This one is on our living room window, I think I need to get a second one for the dining room window so guests could bird watch during breakfast.
lrg_Papa%20Cardinal.jpg

AWESOME!!!! I LOVE THIS IDEA other than them dropping their you know whats below the window, but if it is dirt out there or hose-down-able.

AWESOME!!!! I LOVE THIS IDEA other than them dropping their you know whats below the window, but if it is dirt out there or hose-down-able..
The only mess so far has been the empty sunflower shells, they seem to not be sitting long enough to "do their business"...I think because the pear tree is right there, they jet back in there after they grab some grub. We're a bed and breakfast for everyone!

We have the B&B for the birds here as well, over the summer sad to say I have to stop feeding as we have the ponds, the trees and the feed and they were dropping their business everywhere. We have the owls, the songbirds and the rest which we adore!
I have a thistle feeder for the smaller song birds, and the bigger squirrel proof one for the rest. I love watching them, I would love that feeder on a window, at your place I would sit and watch that for hours. I know your special Guests who we met there will enjoy watching it for hours. LOL
smileystooges.gif
(That's you clubbing ME over the head!) tee hee hee

We have the B&B for the birds here as well, over the summer sad to say I have to stop feeding as we have the ponds, the trees and the feed and they were dropping their business everywhere. We have the owls, the songbirds and the rest which we adore!
I have a thistle feeder for the smaller song birds, and the bigger squirrel proof one for the rest. I love watching them, I would love that feeder on a window, at your place I would sit and watch that for hours. I know your special Guests who we met there will enjoy watching it for hours. LOL
smileystooges.gif
(That's you clubbing ME over the head!) tee hee hee.
Joey Bloggs said:
I know your special Guests who we met there will enjoy watching it for hours. LOL
smileystooges.gif
(That's you clubbing ME over the head!) tee hee hee
BONK! Now I'm rethinking the whole idea...maybe will implement it AFTER September!
tounge_smile.gif

We've lost many of the exotic birds around here for a couple decades....my theory is cause of the tree spraying.....in the 70's and early 80's we had a terrible Gyspy Moth and Beetle problem........Diazinon was the chemical of choice........Diazinon kills birds
We lost our Cardinals, Red breasted robins, blue jays and some others....
Since the Gyspsy Moth has gone and that beetle grubs have been significantly reduced....thanks to season long turf grub control..........as well as the move towards dormant oils and insecticidal soaps for tree and shrub spraying...........we have had a return of some lost birds species.
I now have, I think 3 families of Cardinals near my yard, several doves........and have seen more often the Red breasted robin.....and this past spring 2 blue jays.
Have a pond and lots and lots of perennial and annual flowers that attract inscets (food source for birds).........and once or twice a year an Egret sitting on the roof of my storage building over looking the pond eyeing the fish
Personaly.....I don't like or appreciate bird feeders.........they are messy and are a source of additional weeds in the planting beds and lawn.........also the over attraction of birds with their droppings combined with the dropped seeds...smells
I won't directly feed the wildlife.....I will provide a good environment......
I don't knock folks that have bird feeders if that is what they enjoy.......I do try to convince them of alternatives.......such as water features, flowers, trees, tall shrubs for nest areas to attract them........I tell them.....this makes it more special when you happen look out the window and see some of the more interesting birds..........rather than seeing them every day due to a bird feeder.
And around here..........birds are supposed to be migratory.....feeding them into the winter is wrong.............if the migratory birds stick around because there is a food source....there is a very strong chance they will not survice, regardless of there bieng food.

Back