my new favourite frruit course

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
A lighter version of a panna cotta .... The beauty of it is that it's really versatile and I get to use up whatever fruit needs using. Tried it the first time because I had bananas and strawberries that had to be eaten, but not really enough of either to use alone. Really good. Tried it this morning because I had too many limes and some left over ginger root from another breakfast. Really refreshing.

UKMaineiac said:
A lighter version of a panna cotta .... The beauty of it is that it's really versatile and I get to use up whatever fruit needs using. Tried it the first time because I had bananas and strawberries that had to be eaten, but not really enough of either to use alone. Really good. Tried it this morning because I had too many limes and some left over ginger root from another breakfast. Really refreshing.
ok! let's have it!

Yep, what is the recipe?????.
This is kind of difficult because I've changed it up everytime - substitutions include using yoghurt instead of cream, using OJ instead of milk, I've never used the buttermilk, I've added lime juice. Last time I had some marscapone left over so I dumped that in too.
The following is the recipe I started with, but like I said I've never made as written and I've taken ridiculous liberties and it still always comes out .... I've also never turned it out but always served it in the ramekin. One piece of advice would be to use more rather than less gelatin. For the lime / ginger variation I used one pack of gelatin and it stayed a little too wobbly. Luckily the texture worked well with the chilled tartness of the lime.
For panna cotta
3 cups sliced strawberries (1 pound)
1 3/4 cups well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
6 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin, from less than 2 (1/4-oz) envelopes
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

C:\DOCUME~1\tipsy\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif

Make panna cottas:
Blend strawberries, buttermilk, and sugar in a blender until very smooth, then pour through a very fine sieve into a medium bowl, pressing hard on solids. Discard solids.
Sprinkle gelatin over milk in a small bowl and let stand 1 minute to soften.
Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and add gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved.
Whisk cream mixture into strawberry purée and pour into molds. Chill molds, covered, until firm, at least 8 hours.
To unmold, dip molds in a small bowl of hot water 2 or 3 seconds, then invert panna cottas onto dessert plates and remove molds. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes to soften slightly.

i LOVE panna cotta ! Our guests always comment how yummy it is, too. it's a very easy dish to prepare since much of the work is done the day before and even that is relatively simple.

This is kind of difficult because I've changed it up everytime - substitutions include using yoghurt instead of cream, using OJ instead of milk, I've never used the buttermilk, I've added lime juice. Last time I had some marscapone left over so I dumped that in too.
The following is the recipe I started with, but like I said I've never made as written and I've taken ridiculous liberties and it still always comes out .... I've also never turned it out but always served it in the ramekin. One piece of advice would be to use more rather than less gelatin. For the lime / ginger variation I used one pack of gelatin and it stayed a little too wobbly. Luckily the texture worked well with the chilled tartness of the lime.
For panna cotta
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Make panna cottas:
Blend strawberries, buttermilk, and sugar in a blender until very smooth, then pour through a very fine sieve into a medium bowl, pressing hard on solids. Discard solids.
Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and add gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved.
Whisk cream mixture into strawberry purée and pour into molds. Chill molds, covered, until firm, at least 8 hours.
To unmold, dip molds in a small bowl of hot water 2 or 3 seconds, then invert panna cottas onto dessert plates and remove molds. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes to soften slightly.
Is THAT what it's called??? I've made that before!

For panna cotta
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Make panna cottas:
I don't know if I've had this before. I've never made it. Does this turn out really gelatinous or is it more like a flan? If more like a flan, I would like it. I nned to Google it and see a picture. Thanks for sharing.

For panna cotta
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Make panna cottas:
I don't know if I've had this before. I've never made it. Does this turn out really gelatinous or is it more like a flan? If more like a flan, I would like it. I nned to Google it and see a picture. Thanks for sharing.
Mine came out more like flan and less like jello. It didn't wiggle all over the place. Guests seemed to like it. However, I did not serve it to the vegan...

For panna cotta
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Make panna cottas:
I found several recipes that were even easier just by doing a Google search :) Also, one tip was to pour the custard into wine glasses to set to save the unmolding. I thought that was a good idea and then serve with berries. Yum! I will try this for my family members that like custard desserts before I try it on guests.

For panna cotta
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Make panna cottas:
Raw ginger root is one of those foods with an enzyme which prevents gelatin from setting (along with pineapple, figs, kiwi, guava and papaya). You can parboil the ginger before adding it to the gelatin to denature the enzyme.

For panna cotta
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Make panna cottas:
Raw ginger root is one of those foods with an enzyme which prevents gelatin from setting (along with pineapple, figs, kiwi, guava and papaya). You can parboil the ginger before adding it to the gelatin to denature the enzyme.
THANK YOU. That's fabulous info. I'd always have wondered why it didn't do it's thing. Luckily the texture seemed to work fine with the flavor.

For panna cotta
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Make panna cottas:
Another odd thing with pineapple is the weird feeling it leaves in some people's mouths. That can be 'fixed' by nuking the fresh pineapple for a few seconds so it may be the enzyme people are having problems with.

Back