My new website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree about the driving directions. They were taken from the old site and I don't like them but they are there for now. Our little town has a lot of unmarked exits and streets so it's hard to have good directions. I would love to incorporate a map, I hope I can do that..
Just go to Google Maps, plug in your address and pull up the map. They give you the linking directions for you site. Copy and paste and you are good to go.

A new twist to the tale.
Our previous website host sent me a nasty email threatening to trash our B&B on different review sites for what he is calling a failure to pay a debt. He was hosting the site for trade with the previous owner and since I changed to a different host and have not given him any free stays since we took over I offered to pay him out of good will. Apparently he didn't get the $100 quick enough for him because he sent me an email today threatening to give bad reviews of our B&B for a host of reasons he lists but it boils down to his feelings being hurt in my opinion.

So now I'm searching the internet to see if he has been slamming us anywhere. I think it's just sour grapes from him and I don't think he will do anything but I am a little paranoid now.
Any suggestions on how to handle this?

A new twist to the tale.
Our previous website host sent me a nasty email threatening to trash our B&B on different review sites for what he is calling a failure to pay a debt. He was hosting the site for trade with the previous owner and since I changed to a different host and have not given him any free stays since we took over I offered to pay him out of good will. Apparently he didn't get the $100 quick enough for him because he sent me an email today threatening to give bad reviews of our B&B for a host of reasons he lists but it boils down to his feelings being hurt in my opinion.

So now I'm searching the internet to see if he has been slamming us anywhere. I think it's just sour grapes from him and I don't think he will do anything but I am a little paranoid now.
Any suggestions on how to handle this?.
reYOOPERed said:
That is aweful and you reiterate why all of this is important to have in writing before the close of the sale. You now own that business, he has a lot of nerve to try to control YOU the new owners. I would find out who HIS boss is, or chamber of commerce or whoever and keep that info handy should you need it.
Free nights? Please. How much was that old website worth? Not that much! Keep us tuned in to what happens. You might want to be careful what you share here with your photo as the avatar.

I want to tell aspirings about this - when you buy a so-called turnkey you also inherit alot of baggage. You do not know what went on before you and you have to become Clueso to piece it all together. When you purchase get EVERYTHING - directories, website info, where each and every tax was paid, every membership, anything and everything from the owners before closing. You cannot go back and get it later on.
You will also have people in your community who act like they own your B&B more than you do. So just be careful starting out and document everything.
Most importantly write it into the agreement that they will renew any directories or memberships in the transition period. Our po's had it sold, and never renewed a thing, so we walked in with EVERY one of these bills overdue.

A new twist to the tale.

reYOOPERed said:
That is aweful and you reiterate why all of this is important to have in writing before the close of the sale. You now own that business, he has a lot of nerve to try to control YOU the new owners. I would find out who HIS boss is, or chamber of commerce or whoever and keep that info handy should you need it.
Free nights? Please. How much was that old website worth? Not that much! Keep us tuned in to what happens. You might want to be careful what you share here with your photo as the avatar.
Yeah I hope this doesn't lead to more problems but believe me I'm pretty steamed and my initial reaction was "Trash ME! Ha! I'll trash YOU!" so that was going to be my next step of throwing him under the bus here if he does anything in the way of bad reviews.
I'm probably being immature about this but the fact is ... HE STARTED IT!
embaressed_smile.gif

A new twist to the tale.

Here is what I would recommend. Send him a registered return receipt letter (of which you keep a copy) that summarizes the agreement he had with the previous owner. Then include the dates that you took over the business and that you have no standing agreement with him and that there is no reason for there to be any outstanding debt attibuted to you or your business. Since you already sent money (probably shouldn't have) include that you have already paid $100 as a severence payment and if he believes there is an outstanding balance he should contact the previous owner.
Also acknowledge his threats of retaliation (quote them if you can...I hope he was stupid enough to make them in writing). Inform him that such threats will used against him and his business should he proceed with trying to tarnish your reputation by misrepresenting himself as a guest or as someone hired by you. Then sit and wait. The copy of your letter would likely serve quite effectively in getting his reviews removed from any of the major review sites should he choose to stick his neck in the noose.

A new twist to the tale.

reYOOPERed said:
"Free nights? Please. "
Exactly. Reliable hosting can be had for under $100 per year, so even one night would be overpayment for hosting. Design might be a different story, but hosting, no way.

A new twist to the tale.

I would also advise him that should he trash you at all that you will forward his email to TripAdvisor showing that you have been threatened. That ought to shut him up, don't you think?
Riki

A new twist to the tale.

Here is what I would recommend. Send him a registered return receipt letter (of which you keep a copy) that summarizes the agreement he had with the previous owner. Then include the dates that you took over the business and that you have no standing agreement with him and that there is no reason for there to be any outstanding debt attibuted to you or your business. Since you already sent money (probably shouldn't have) include that you have already paid $100 as a severence payment and if he believes there is an outstanding balance he should contact the previous owner.
Also acknowledge his threats of retaliation (quote them if you can...I hope he was stupid enough to make them in writing). Inform him that such threats will used against him and his business should he proceed with trying to tarnish your reputation by misrepresenting himself as a guest or as someone hired by you. Then sit and wait. The copy of your letter would likely serve quite effectively in getting his reviews removed from any of the major review sites should he choose to stick his neck in the noose.
I knew SWIRT would come up with the logical, professional, and unemotional solution!!!
I was with her..>TRASH HIM!!!! BUt know better. This is exactly the way to go:)

A new twist to the tale.

I would also advise him that should he trash you at all that you will forward his email to TripAdvisor showing that you have been threatened. That ought to shut him up, don't you think?
Riki
I probably would not suggest specifics about how reYoopered would respond. It gives away the game-plan without gaining anything. Fear of the unknown is often more a deterent than telling him what the countermeasure would be.

I just said sorry my bad I'm new and took the high road.
I couldn't bring myself to send anything threatening back. I hope I don't hear from him anymore and I hope I don't see any crappy reviews from him. I honestly don't know what he is talking about in regards to "reviews" anyway. My first alarming thought was on sites reviewing our place but I'm wondering if he is referring to some other place. He will look like a tool if he's throwing stuff about him being the website host and we screwed him up on a review site about the stay at our place.

I wish there was a way to know where he thinks he's going to give us negative reviews so I don't have to search the net all day to see if he's trashing us.

I couldn't bring myself to send anything threatening back. I hope I don't hear from him anymore and I hope I don't see any crappy reviews from him. I honestly don't know what he is talking about in regards to "reviews" anyway. My first alarming thought was on sites reviewing our place but I'm wondering if he is referring to some other place. He will look like a tool if he's throwing stuff about him being the website host and we screwed him up on a review site about the stay at our place.

I wish there was a way to know where he thinks he's going to give us negative reviews so I don't have to search the net all day to see if he's trashing us..
Create a google alert with your inn name in it. That will likely find it for you.
wink_smile.gif

I wish there was a way to know where he thinks he's going to give us negative reviews so I don't have to search the net all day to see if he's trashing us..
Create a google alert with your inn name in it. That will likely find it for you.
wink_smile.gif

swirt said:
wink_smile.gif
doesn't work on review sites tho. I WISH IT DID!

It should if he uses the name...which he might, especially if it is the first review. But yes for safety you want to bookmark your page on tripadvisor (can also subscribe to the feed) and your reviews on bed and breakfast.com.

It should if he uses the name...which he might, especially if it is the first review. But yes for safety you want to bookmark your page on tripadvisor (can also subscribe to the feed) and your reviews on bed and breakfast.com..
Bandb.com send you an email when a new review is posted on their site and you can sign up to receive an alert through tripadvisor. I use TA's weekly newsletter about my town so I can see all the new stuff that's out there, not just me.

About the only place is TRIPADVISOR.com and bedandbreakfast.com...are you a member of Bedandbreakfast.com? If not, he can't post there. If yes, they will send you an email about reviews. The only other place I know of is Yahoo has some review sites. But that is about it. Sound like he is just a big blow hard and a real JERK to boot!!!!
potty-mouth.gif

It should if he uses the name...which he might, especially if it is the first review. But yes for safety you want to bookmark your page on tripadvisor (can also subscribe to the feed) and your reviews on bed and breakfast.com..
Bandb.com send you an email when a new review is posted on their site and you can sign up to receive an alert through tripadvisor. I use TA's weekly newsletter about my town so I can see all the new stuff that's out there, not just me.
This is what I do for review notifications and my city as the TA alert, along with a Google alert for "my B&B name & city" and "my city bed & breakfast". I get a lot of weird stuff on the latter.
I would have taken the high road like reYoop but would have been tempted to go in a different direction. Nervy guy...

Personally I love the old fashioned style of the grey - one of the 1st things I did when I bought this place was to change the website and now many guests tell me that they booked it because of that! I am not sure if you are planning an online res system but - as much as we all love to talk to guests ahead of time, most travelers now like to look at availability and prices and be able to make their own reservations. I use Resnexxus which I love, I used to install computer systems in hotels and for a small system, this one has more features and functionality than any I have seen.

Lovely Web-site. Lovely Story. I agree it makes you want to just rush right over and meet the two of you. Good luck with your new B&B and stay busy!
SherryCa

I know there is still al of of stuff I need to get done with our site but I have played with the page titles as a way to (hopefully) optimize our results on search engines.
I notice the search engines have not been picking up on the changes and that they still return results with the old titles. Any idea how long it takes for these changes to start getting picked up by Google?

Back