My practice breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We would never do both pancakes and eggs. We alternate between sweet (pancakes) and savory (eggs). YOu may find once you are up and running those huge breakfasts take up far too much time and money. People don't eat that much.
Best,
riki.
egoodell said:
We would never do both pancakes and eggs. We alternate between sweet (pancakes) and savory (eggs). YOu may find once you are up and running those huge breakfasts take up far too much time and money. People don't eat that much.
Best,
riki
That's how we work, alternating when we have the same guests in the house. It doesn't work for us to try to make so much food. But, if you've ever been at a buffet you know people will load up if they can!

I've always said it's the timing that's the difficult part, not the cooking. Good for you for getting all thought out on the table!
You might want to check the receipe section here on the forum. There is an overnight scrambled eggs which you prepare the night before and bake in the morning that would be the ticket for serving with your pancakes.
This morning, I went from Plan A, to Plan B to Plan C on my fruit course! Cooking for 8 this morning and I was planning on doing baked pears. They still looked good on the outside, but when I cut into them they were half mealy and not good for a presentation piece like baked pears. I'll save you the drama, but I ended up slicing the good parts thin and putting them in a baking dish with brown sugar, coconut & butter. Now, what was I going to do with them? Because after today, we don't have any guests until the weekend, I don't have much supply in the house. I ended up mixing mascarpone cheese, sour cream & sugar together, layered it with the "baked pears", then topped it off with some crumbled up gluten free ginger snaps I bought at the store.
It ended up tasting and looking great, but I sure was a frazzle! Fortunately, the guests don't see me while I'm cooking.
No matter how long you're an innkeeper, stuff happens, just go with the flow and have fun..
So awesome! I just love the stick-to-it-iveness and resourcefulness. And I agree, if you are relaxed and easy your guests will be as well. Remember it's breakfast not something serious or life-and-death, no one's going to die if they have to wait a few moments...
Don Draper said:
So awesome! I just love the stick-to-it-iveness and resourcefulness. And I agree, if you are relaxed and easy your guests will be as well. Remember it's breakfast not something serious or life-and-death, no one's going to die if they have to wait a few moments...
I do have to try to do that. Relax.

We stayed at a B&B last week and there was WAY too much food. I had to try everything... I was doing research, after all.... and almost made myself sick.
tounge_smile.gif

But everything was unique and I had to taste it. I will definitely encourage people to begin eating as it's served and will continue practicing to see what combinations work well together timing wise.
If you've read my other post, you'll know I'm an Aspiring-in-waiting. The bank and I don't see eye to eye on some numbers. So I have plenty of time to practice.

Sounds like fun! Especially belting the husband with half frozen sausage.
You can time pancakes and scrambled eggs, if you have a counter top electric griddle. I did this just today. You can cook 4 at a time (on my griddle), and when they are nearly ready slam the eggs into the preheated pan and they cook so quickly bobsyeruncle. BUT not if they show up late for breakfast, then throw out steps 1 thru 10. :)
Fy11FaAuKh_Q6t6EUOsy7jy9TEVPkS31JecFWfDva7iPpOaQuJVS0hUsp7Akw4gKa__64KJeFfOVpF8R56TYJ6xkEpCYkQuDtNLXTp8Fy3xtomDLsZY398OtaBBdBCAd13G9Y-gxEXDPV12aMCp9nY6T_9FwItP74fl4bMyOqMdUlsMuUadeSkUw0Cw8C6CGZsKww9TZ8wjKtwGBklU4u2GR
OK, we have a griddle like that and I can pretty well tell you that those pancakes are way too small to serve here. We get 8 pancakes on that griddle and that's it. Plus, those griddles never cook at the same temp from one side to the other.
That looks like it's a wonderful resource (and it is) but you're never cooking that meal on that griddle so it looks like that! (OK, WE'RE not, someone else might be able to.)
Alibi Ike said:
OK, we have a griddle like that and I can pretty well tell you that those pancakes are way too small to serve here. We get 8 pancakes on that griddle and that's it. Plus, those griddles never cook at the same temp from one side to the other.
That looks like it's a wonderful resource (and it is) but you're never cooking that meal on that griddle so it looks like that! (OK, WE'RE not, someone else might be able to.)
I can only cook 4 at a time. But four at a time is a good thing for me. I don't a dollar stack, but have thought about it!
Ours cooks totally even and crisps the edges, I am very happy with it, and it is one of those innkeeper tools when this one burns out I will immediately get another one.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
I can only cook 4 at a time. But four at a time is a good thing for me. I don't a dollar stack, but have thought about it!
Ours cooks totally even and crisps the edges, I am very happy with it, and it is one of those innkeeper tools when this one burns out I will immediately get another one.
What brand griddle do you have?

Ok what we found about breakfast is
1. Amount of people you will be serving and the time breakfast will be served is what we decide to serve
Meaning if we have 10-15 people we will definantely NOT serve pancakes or waffles or eggs-an egg bake or a french toast bake and maybe a meat + of course the first entree which could be from fresh fruit salad to the one and only Banana/Strawberry Smoothie (we freeze bananas that are to mushy to use) its always our "GO TO" first course if everything else fails.
For 4-6 we get a little more exentric-from souffles in individual dishes to a egg custard(which has had rave reviews) to waffles.
We do one set menu-PERIOD-its just seems much easier on all involved and it makes breakfast preparing much simpler-we always ask about dietary restrictions and adhear to them for those guests. It gets much easier as you go for it. I remember our first breakfasts we served WAY TOO MUCH and wasted more-through the years we learned that breakfast sometimes depended on the guests and now sometimes on what kind of produce we can get.
Don't worry-your guests will never know if by chance you forgot to put eggs in your pancake batter-its happened to hubbie one time and we found a bowl of eggs and he said OH DAMN-forgot to put these in the pancakes-the guests did not even notice and since we got good reviews on breakfast we were happy.
You'll do jus fine.

You can time pancakes and scrambled eggs, if you have a counter top electric griddle. I did this just today. You can cook 4 at a time (on my griddle), and when they are nearly ready slam the eggs into the preheated pan and they cook so quickly bobsyeruncle. BUT not if they show up late for breakfast, then throw out steps 1 thru 10. :)
Fy11FaAuKh_Q6t6EUOsy7jy9TEVPkS31JecFWfDva7iPpOaQuJVS0hUsp7Akw4gKa__64KJeFfOVpF8R56TYJ6xkEpCYkQuDtNLXTp8Fy3xtomDLsZY398OtaBBdBCAd13G9Y-gxEXDPV12aMCp9nY6T_9FwItP74fl4bMyOqMdUlsMuUadeSkUw0Cw8C6CGZsKww9TZ8wjKtwGBklU4u2GR
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
We've had a variety of them. One was a professional griddle (Broil King) that didn't hold up at all. Now we just get the basic home model by Presto. Wait for a sale around Christmas and you can get one pretty cheap. Or, there are a couple of home stores that have good coupons. It costs between $20-$40 depending on where you look and when.
Cleaning is very important. If you start to get build up so that you know exactly where the heating element is by looking at the cooking surface you may as well get another one. Our last one bit the dust when one morning we ended up with striped pancakes.
As a matter of fact, the photo JB posted looks a lot like the box the new griddle came in so that's probably the same one.

I'm thinking I'll not do pancakes AT ALL. I bought a very expensive griddle a few years ago and the hot elements made stripes on the pancakes. I have an awesome Calphalon stove top griddle the sized of a dinner plate that makes wonderful, consistant pancakes, but obviously it's for home use b/c you can only do one at a time.
I have one excellent baked egg dish, but need more. This may be a southern thing, but we don't eat until everyone has been served. For those of you with large community tables, do you find that your guests will go ahead and start eating even when others don't have their food? Could this be a case for several smaller tables? My house should never have more than 10 guests at a time..
I only cooked pancakes when I had a couple of rooms. Otherwise, because I felt pressured to get them out fresh and hot and I was way too frazzled in the kitchen. I had better luck making waffles when we were full (up to 13 guests).
You'll find your own system that works! Meanwhile, your "guinea pigs" will be very happy to let you practice... :)

I serve breakfast alone and if I had to serve 9 at once I would be crazy. So, when we renovated our kitchen we put in was a warming drawer. Now I make the bacon, home fries, and toast ahead of time and keep them in the warming drawer. That leaves plenty of time to makes eggs and pancakes without the stress. It is also wonderful for holding baked egg dishes and baked French toast. If anyone is planning kitchen renovations I highly recommend getting a warming drawer. It has saved my sanity many times.

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Can't recall the brand, presto or similar, it is a regular popular brand and got it at walmart. The plug detaches and you can wash it easily enough. I have been using it steady for three years now. We even make grilled cheese on it. I try to limit it for breakfast items to prolong its life tho. :)
Also wanted to mention as I can keep french toast on warm on it while I am prepping the rest of the meal. I get 10 french toast pieces on it (5 people). Do it just twice and I get 10.

Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
We've had a variety of them. One was a professional griddle (Broil King) that didn't hold up at all. Now we just get the basic home model by Presto. Wait for a sale around Christmas and you can get one pretty cheap. Or, there are a couple of home stores that have good coupons. It costs between $20-$40 depending on where you look and when.
Cleaning is very important. If you start to get build up so that you know exactly where the heating element is by looking at the cooking surface you may as well get another one. Our last one bit the dust when one morning we ended up with striped pancakes.
As a matter of fact, the photo JB posted looks a lot like the box the new griddle came in so that's probably the same one.
I agree Ikester, if you wait for Christmas all those small appliances are on sale - and even more variety (sometimes cool colors etc). !

I'm thinking I'll not do pancakes AT ALL. I bought a very expensive griddle a few years ago and the hot elements made stripes on the pancakes. I have an awesome Calphalon stove top griddle the sized of a dinner plate that makes wonderful, consistant pancakes, but obviously it's for home use b/c you can only do one at a time.
I have one excellent baked egg dish, but need more. This may be a southern thing, but we don't eat until everyone has been served. For those of you with large community tables, do you find that your guests will go ahead and start eating even when others don't have their food? Could this be a case for several smaller tables? My house should never have more than 10 guests at a time..
I only cooked pancakes when I had a couple of rooms. Otherwise, because I felt pressured to get them out fresh and hot and I was way too frazzled in the kitchen. I had better luck making waffles when we were full (up to 13 guests).
You'll find your own system that works! Meanwhile, your "guinea pigs" will be very happy to let you practice... :)
Samster said:
We do our pancakes and hold them in a low oven to serve. Works great and pancakes are fast and easy to make in the morning and cheap. We use one electtric plug in pan that can do 8 at a time and when we go up to 4 -5 rooms will just get another plug in pan.
riki

Try lowering the temp a little on the counter top gridle.....this will allow the entire surface to have more of a consistent temperature.....reducing some of the hot spots

Back