My rooms are cheap!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at many B&B sites and some bedrooms are really over the top to me. I guess each to there own. My husband and I really want a laid back,comfortable environment--we really are not fussy people. Our rooms are decorated nicely but simply. Do you think thats ok --I am sure there are many tastes that you come across. Our menu is also very traditional for breakfast except that I will be offering a lighter fare with protein smoothies etc. I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor so I will be offering personal training on site..
riverbendnewbie said:
I have been looking at many B&B sites and some bedrooms are really over the top to me. I guess each to there own. My husband and I really want a laid back,comfortable environment--we really are not fussy people. Our rooms are decorated nicely but simply. Do you think thats ok --I am sure there are many tastes that you come across. Our menu is also very traditional for breakfast except that I will be offering a lighter fare with protein smoothies etc. I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor so I will be offering personal training on site.
The B&B is a reflection of you and your personalities. If you are laid back and casual, then don't go over the top with the decor. YOU will be uncomfortable trying to maintain that. If your personalities are more formal, then a more reserved B&B decor will suit you.
I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of person. I have quilts and easy to care for decor. Other innkeepers are more formal and their decor shows that.
What you want to watch is how you present your B&B in 'print' on the web. If you have a very formal website then guests will be confused when they arrive to a casual couple and a casual style. If you stay consistent with your message you will draw the right kind of guests to you.
Bree said:
riverbendnewbie said:
I have been looking at many B&B sites and some bedrooms are really over the top to me. I guess each to there own. My husband and I really want a laid back,comfortable environment--we really are not fussy people. Our rooms are decorated nicely but simply. Do you think thats ok --I am sure there are many tastes that you come across. Our menu is also very traditional for breakfast except that I will be offering a lighter fare with protein smoothies etc. I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor so I will be offering personal training on site.
The B&B is a reflection of you and your personalities. If you are laid back and casual, then don't go over the top with the decor. YOU will be uncomfortable trying to maintain that. If your personalities are more formal, then a more reserved B&B decor will suit you.
I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of person. I have quilts and easy to care for decor. Other innkeepers are more formal and their decor shows that.
What you want to watch is how you present your B&B in 'print' on the web. If you have a very formal website then guests will be confused when they arrive to a casual couple and a casual style. If you stay consistent with your message you will draw the right kind of guests to you.
sort of.
Some of us bought into a "turnkey" B&B and without gutting the place and starting over to reflect our own styles, we do what we can.
I am NOT into antiques, yet have a house filled with them. I did/do buy them for the B&B as part of keeping up what we already having going here. I can converse and discuss antiques with people.
A guest checking out today said "Would you ever be selling any of these pieces?" I said, "wait for the email." jokingly.
But this is NOT my style at all. So I do other things to make it my style. Incorporate it into my style. But to be fair and honest these guest rooms do not reflect what I prefer for myself (and in fact have in my own quarters). But it is fun to decorate with this stuff. I was at an antique mall this week and the clerk asked me if I collected salt and pepper shakers. I told her no, these will be used often. She was puzzled.
I bought vintage ones for this breakfast delivery thing I am doing now for the highest priced rooms (2 rooms) if they order it as an add-on. I wanted something small and quaint, and antique to go on their tray. I was happy to find 3 sets at this antique mall.
So see, I keep adding to this collection here.

I have been looking at many B&B sites and some bedrooms are really over the top to me. I guess each to there own. My husband and I really want a laid back,comfortable environment--we really are not fussy people. Our rooms are decorated nicely but simply. Do you think thats ok --I am sure there are many tastes that you come across. Our menu is also very traditional for breakfast except that I will be offering a lighter fare with protein smoothies etc. I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor so I will be offering personal training on site..
riverbendnewbie said:
Bree said:
riverbendnewbie said:
sort of.
Some of us bought into a "turnkey" B&B and without gutting the place and starting over to reflect our own styles, we do what we can.
I am NOT into antiques, yet have a house filled with them. I did/do buy them for the B&B as part of keeping up what we already having going here. I can converse and discuss antiques with people.
A guest checking out today said "Would you ever be selling any of these pieces?" I said, "wait for the email." jokingly.
But this is NOT my style at all. So I do other things to make it my style. Incorporate it into my style. But to be fair and honest these guest rooms do not reflect what I prefer for myself (and in fact have in my own quarters). But it is fun to decorate with this stuff. I was at an antique mall this week and the clerk asked me if I collected salt and pepper shakers. I told her no, these will be used often. She was puzzled.
I bought vintage ones for this breakfast delivery thing I am doing now for the highest priced rooms (2 rooms) if they order it as an add-on. I wanted something small and quaint, and antique to go on their tray. I was happy to find 3 sets at this antique mall.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
riverbendnewbie said:
sort of.
OK, this is another observation of mine (which you are saying isn't true, but here goes anyway)- if you buy a 'turnkey' B&B it is more than likely already what you would have done yourself had you started from scratch. I've seen several B&B's bought and sold and for the ones that weren't gutted completely, redone, renamed, etc, the people who bought them 'belong' in them.
Strictly my obbo based on the sale and purchase of 5 B&B's whose owners I know.

riverbendnewbie said:
Bree said:
riverbendnewbie said:
sort of.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
riverbendnewbie said:
sort of.
OK, this is another observation of mine (which you are saying isn't true, but here goes anyway)- if you buy a 'turnkey' B&B it is more than likely already what you would have done yourself had you started from scratch. I've seen several B&B's bought and sold and for the ones that weren't gutted completely, redone, renamed, etc, the people who bought them 'belong' in them.
Not even close. not for THIS innkeeper. We didn't buy the place for the era at all. I know some would however. We bought it for layout, location, etc etc. I am not saying I want it modern, at all, but Iam not going to reinvent the wheel for this place. I WILL strip the frou frou out of it, that was not hard as I am young and po's were all old.
okay, now I put my foot in it. I never said HOW OLD. :)
I do have a gnome in my foyer now, just to tick people off. LOL! I LOVE THAT GNOME!

riverbendnewbie said:
Bree said:
riverbendnewbie said:
Our rooms are decorated nicely but simply. Do you think thats ok
it is all okay.
whether the style of your b&b is inherited from prior owners or of your choosing, if guests can see what you offer with great pictures and descriptions they will stay with you because they like what you offer and because you WELCOME them to your b&b.
me? innkeeper, not owner. style? inherited leftovers from prior owners who used this as a private home and took most of the furnishings ... i have filled it out with owner's stuff, my stuff, and bargains found along the way. i have lots of guests who are happy with it as is and come back. i am sure there are some who wish it was different.
do the best you can that works for you.

Thanks for the advice because I was starting to get a little paranoid--thinking oh my god when I saw some of the pics--of other places. I wish I could download some pics of my place to get some feedback but I just can't get it to work. I must be computer challenged!

Thanks for the advice because I was starting to get a little paranoid--thinking oh my god when I saw some of the pics--of other places. I wish I could download some pics of my place to get some feedback but I just can't get it to work. I must be computer challenged!.
So you have a website yet? We can look at them there.

Thanks for the advice because I was starting to get a little paranoid--thinking oh my god when I saw some of the pics--of other places. I wish I could download some pics of my place to get some feedback but I just can't get it to work. I must be computer challenged!.
So you have a website yet? We can look at them there.
Working on it. The lady I hired for my branding package is very good--she absolutely nailed my logo--exactly what I was looking for. Hoping that the web site is as good . Are there many Canadians on this site? It is so helpful and some of you should be on comedy tours--hilarious--I mean this in a good way. Luv reading some of your comments.

riverbendnewbie said:
I'm curious... do you think of mine as "over the top?" (It's OK if you do, but I'm wondering what your impression is?)
Thanks!
=)
Kk.

riverbendnewbie said:
I'm curious... do you think of mine as "over the top?" (It's OK if you do, but I'm wondering what your impression is?)
Thanks!
=)
Kk.
I think your B&B is great and definitely not over the top/ I think we have similar tastes. I love the way your pics are done--very nice! Wow I thought my tv's were big enough--they are 26"--maybe I will upgrade later. Seriously though I guess I had looked at some very "fussy, busy web sites" and I would be afraid to break something! We are in the country(only 20 minutes from the city) and I guess we are going for casual,comfort.

I agree that you have to go with what you're comfortable with but obviously there's a line where an innkeeper can be too comfortable. (Like my braless, shoeless, sleeveless innkeeper story...haha!) If you try to be something you're not, it won't feel right to you or your guests.
We recently had a review where the guests described our place as "elegant". I was surprised because I don't see our place that way. We definitely are not a frou frou place. Maybe our decor felt elegant to them though! Who knows? We have another B&B in our town that fits that description - Victorian, expensive antiques, custom silk drapes and comforters, lots of expensive collectibles around.
We looked at several turnkey B&Bs where I would have had to tweak things a bit to have it fit more with our style.
I think that I'll always be changing the guest rooms a bit as guests use them and I get feedback from our guests. Maybe you'll find that also. Meanwhile, just see how it goes :)

We researched many B&B's in our area and we settled on 95-110 per night . We would not be the most expensive nor the cheapest --right in the middle.. I did notice some charge 15-20 for extra person --I take it that is for a third person? Pretty tough if its only a double room..
riverbendnewbie said:
We researched many B&B's in our area and we settled on 95-110 per night . We would not be the most expensive nor the cheapest --right in the middle.. I did notice some charge 15-20 for extra person --I take it that is for a third person? Pretty tough if its only a double room.
Extra person would be THIRD or FOURTH person charge. Not the other half of a double room.
regular_smile.gif

So do you offer cots then?
I don't think cots would be appropriate for adults. Maybe for a child. We had a twin sleeper sofa in one of our guest rooms we used for an extra person.
If a room is only suited for 2 persons that is all that goes in it...no room for anything else. IF you have the room to put in say a ROLL AWAY bed that would be appropriate for an adult.
My cots are spring-loaded canvas and I have had adults sleep on them. We slept on them when we went camping. They are not as comfortable as a bed, but not bad. I put an "egg-crate" foam on it and then a mattress pad before I add the sheets.

riverbendnewbie said:
Bree said:
riverbendnewbie said:
sort of.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
riverbendnewbie said:
sort of.
Not even close. not for THIS innkeeper. We didn't buy the place for the era at all. I know some would however. We bought it for layout, location, etc etc. I am not saying I want it modern, at all, but Iam not going to reinvent the wheel for this place. I WILL strip the frou frou out of it, that was not hard as I am young and po's were all old.
okay, now I put my foot in it. I never said HOW OLD. :)
I do have a gnome in my foyer now, just to tick people off. LOL! I LOVE THAT GNOME!
You may remove your foot, Dearie. Us oldsters (this one anyway) don't mind being the oldsters. Being old gives us more license to speak our minds (assuming we have a mind left)......

We've reached that point where our rooms are 'expensive'. 4 women looking for 2 rooms tonight said 'no thanks' to paying $77 each. Another couple also declined. A month ago they were lining up at the door.

We've reached that point where our rooms are 'expensive'. 4 women looking for 2 rooms tonight said 'no thanks' to paying $77 each. Another couple also declined. A month ago they were lining up at the door..
Sorry but your guests just want to spend all their money at LLBEAN..and not for a room TOO BAD!!!

We've reached that point where our rooms are 'expensive'. 4 women looking for 2 rooms tonight said 'no thanks' to paying $77 each. Another couple also declined. A month ago they were lining up at the door..
Well, you're coming on to your slower season aren't you? Also, the economy is tough for a lot of people and even though they still want to do what they want to do, they are trying to economize. The latest news has a lot of folks tightening their belt.
They were also probably motel/hotel people. Hard to compete with the people that think of the $79/night Interstate hotel price.

Well, you're coming on to your slower season aren't you? Also, the economy is tough for a lot of people and even though they still want to do what they want to do, they are trying to economize. The latest news has a lot of folks tightening their belt.
They were also probably motel/hotel people. Hard to compete with the people that think of the $79/night Interstate hotel price.
Slow season hits (with a crash) on Nov 1. Had a guest 10 minutes ago who went to the premier inn before they came here. Took my room at $160 and thought it was a steal. It's perception.

Slow season hits (with a crash) on Nov 1. Had a guest 10 minutes ago who went to the premier inn before they came here. Took my room at $160 and thought it was a steal. It's perception.
Absolutely...perception! I have folks coming in October for 3 nights in our $205 suite...they thought it was a bargain. (which it is!) They are from the Midwest though.

Back