My rooms are cheap!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
I had a very sweet couple last weekend from about an hour away. They had 5 kids so I am sure money was a concern. I ask what made them choose our bed and breakfast. They said our site was wonderful, the pictures were great, the breakfast sounded perfect and we were the cheapest. I was so stunned. I follow bed and breakfast in the area and did not feel we were cheap. They took the $155 room so I did not feel that it was a real deal. What do you make of this. Maybe we should raise our rates. I am still shocked by this. I am so glad they choose us and they had a great time.
sandynn

Well you know if you were least expensive or not? Guests don't have a clue about MOST of what we do in and for our B&B's or other B&B's. Take it with a grain of salt.
regular_smile.gif

It might be that you are the cheapest of the two B&B's that would take the children.

She said COUPLE, not family. I am sure the 5 kids were at home, she was eluding to their economic status.

It may have been that your cheaper room was available but other places only had their most expensive room available, so for that particular stay, you were the cheapest. Or they only compared you to one other that was a lot more expensive. Some people only compare one or two before making a choice, while others compare 10-20. ;)

I've had a couple of getaway couples who said they liked our price... one was looking for around $100 and going up to $120 wasn't a big jump--she's the one who wanted online booking. The other couple said we were a lot cheaper than the other place they considered. After more discussion with them I'm sure they were looking at the large, romantic, getaway castle in the woods with the hot tubs... they felt that for over $200 a night they didn't get that much more than what our nicest room has for $120.
Cheaper is not a bad thing, when it's cheaper than the fanciest place in the county!
=)
Kk.

Never CHEAP...Less expensive.
ANd..if you are satisfied with what you are providing and your guests are as well...I wouldn't worry. The others may be OVERPRICED.

We researched many B&B's in our area and we settled on 95-110 per night . We would not be the most expensive nor the cheapest --right in the middle.. I did notice some charge 15-20 for extra person --I take it that is for a third person? Pretty tough if its only a double room.

We researched many B&B's in our area and we settled on 95-110 per night . We would not be the most expensive nor the cheapest --right in the middle.. I did notice some charge 15-20 for extra person --I take it that is for a third person? Pretty tough if its only a double room..
riverbendnewbie said:
We researched many B&B's in our area and we settled on 95-110 per night . We would not be the most expensive nor the cheapest --right in the middle.. I did notice some charge 15-20 for extra person --I take it that is for a third person? Pretty tough if its only a double room.
Extra person would be THIRD or FOURTH person charge. Not the other half of a double room.
regular_smile.gif

We researched many B&B's in our area and we settled on 95-110 per night . We would not be the most expensive nor the cheapest --right in the middle.. I did notice some charge 15-20 for extra person --I take it that is for a third person? Pretty tough if its only a double room..
riverbendnewbie said:
Extra person would be THIRD or FOURTH person charge. Not the other half of a double room.
regular_smile.gif

So do you offer cots then?

riverbendnewbie said:
regular_smile.gif

riverbendnewbie said:
Just depends on your place. I have a sofa bed in one room for a third person, but all other rooms are max 2 people.
Some here have 2 beds per room and can accomodate more than 2 people per room. I will let them answer this.

we have one room that can take more than 2 person... and we charge 20 per person over 2 persons up to 5 max for that room.... it's a king suite with sleeper sofa and a twin cot. If it's a child under 2, we only charge 10 extra.

riverbendnewbie said:
regular_smile.gif

I don't think cots would be appropriate for adults. Maybe for a child. We had a twin sleeper sofa in one of our guest rooms we used for an extra person.
If a room is only suited for 2 persons that is all that goes in it...no room for anything else. IF you have the room to put in say a ROLL AWAY bed that would be appropriate for an adult.

riverbendnewbie said:
regular_smile.gif

riverbendnewbie said:
No cots here. I have a few rooms with 2 beds. I will not put cots in the other rooms, nor will I put cots in the rooms with 2 beds. Many guests do not understand why not. It's hard to explain to them that the more guests in the room, the less everyone (including the guests in the surrounding rooms) will enjoy it. It's more wear and tear on the building and on me. The more guests in each room, the more guests I have to feed, the more times I have to change out the dining room in one morning, the more guests milling around waiting to be seated making the early risers feel like they have to hurry.
Nope, doesn't work. I can seat 75% of the guests at a time. If that dropped to 50% I would not like it. And there would then be that many more 'picky eaters' to deal with! I know places that will cram them in like sardines. I don't want it to look like a clown car in the morning when 5 guests pop out of one room. Nope.

riverbendnewbie said:
regular_smile.gif

I have put up a spring-loaded cot (although rarely) if I had one room available and 2 men and it was up to them to decide who got the bed. Moreoften and this is also not often, the cot will go up for a kid. $20 extra unless I am feeling magnanimous as in a military family moving to a new duty station,

riverbendnewbie said:
regular_smile.gif

riverbendnewbie said:
One of our rooms has a queen bed and a full sleeper sofa. Room for an extra person, or two kids, or two couples if they don't mind being cozy.
Another room has a king-sized bed and a futon that becomes a twin sized bed. There's also room in there for a rollaway, folding bed, so I can (and have) put four adults in there.
The third room has a king bed (no room for a rollaway) and the fourth has two twins (no room for someone on the floor).
One of the few reservations I had to cancel was one where a lady was coming for her son's orientation... probably with her son, in the room with the two twins. Then she was bringing her husband... the son would sleep on the floor. I'm like, only if he doesn't mind getting stepped on. Fine, he'll sleep in the van. I'm thinking, and which shower is he using? What towels? When she wanted to add her daughter I finally convinced her she'd be more comfortable at a motel. But that we'd naturally love to host her another time if she'd like to come back and visit her son... hopefully in one of the larger rooms!
=)
Kk.

were right in the middle too.

I have been looking at many B&B sites and some bedrooms are really over the top to me. I guess each to there own. My husband and I really want a laid back,comfortable environment--we really are not fussy people. Our rooms are decorated nicely but simply. Do you think thats ok --I am sure there are many tastes that you come across. Our menu is also very traditional for breakfast except that I will be offering a lighter fare with protein smoothies etc. I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor so I will be offering personal training on site.

I have been looking at many B&B sites and some bedrooms are really over the top to me. I guess each to there own. My husband and I really want a laid back,comfortable environment--we really are not fussy people. Our rooms are decorated nicely but simply. Do you think thats ok --I am sure there are many tastes that you come across. Our menu is also very traditional for breakfast except that I will be offering a lighter fare with protein smoothies etc. I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor so I will be offering personal training on site..
riverbendnewbie said:
I have been looking at many B&B sites and some bedrooms are really over the top to me. I guess each to there own. My husband and I really want a laid back,comfortable environment--we really are not fussy people. Our rooms are decorated nicely but simply. Do you think thats ok --I am sure there are many tastes that you come across. Our menu is also very traditional for breakfast except that I will be offering a lighter fare with protein smoothies etc. I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor so I will be offering personal training on site.
The B&B is a reflection of you and your personalities. If you are laid back and casual, then don't go over the top with the decor. YOU will be uncomfortable trying to maintain that. If your personalities are more formal, then a more reserved B&B decor will suit you.
I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of person. I have quilts and easy to care for decor. Other innkeepers are more formal and their decor shows that.
What you want to watch is how you present your B&B in 'print' on the web. If you have a very formal website then guests will be confused when they arrive to a casual couple and a casual style. If you stay consistent with your message you will draw the right kind of guests to you.

Back