My theory on advance-advance bookings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The further in advance they book, say 6 months+ the more time you spend with them, and the more likely they are to cancel. Have you found this to be true? The further they book in advance the more contact and phone calls and 20 questions variety as well.

I also believe this to be true. We have a big 10 day event in the fall, and people always book it month in advance. They even try to book a year in advance, but we don't go there. These people always have a million questions and are most likely to cancel.

Interesting you say Fall. That was the call I just returned. He asked a dozen questions and I mentioned the two night minimum in October on the weekends, and he said "Tell me why we should stay with YOU for two nights in October" then "Will there be enough to do if we stay two nights"
I am so not into selling, I am so not into "convince me why we should stay with you" buddy. I pointed him to the sites of interest and blog and that I provide plenty of lists of things to see and do in the area, not sure what THEY want to do specifically.
Southern CALIFORNIA. Gotta love em, oh yeahhhhhhhhh.

Interesting you say Fall. That was the call I just returned. He asked a dozen questions and I mentioned the two night minimum in October on the weekends, and he said "Tell me why we should stay with YOU for two nights in October" then "Will there be enough to do if we stay two nights"
I am so not into selling, I am so not into "convince me why we should stay with you" buddy. I pointed him to the sites of interest and blog and that I provide plenty of lists of things to see and do in the area, not sure what THEY want to do specifically.
Southern CALIFORNIA. Gotta love em, oh yeahhhhhhhhh..
Hey! Watch how you talk abou those nuts and fruitcakes out there! I take my nuttiness seriously! (born and raised in LA) And I LOVE a good fruitcake!

Hey! Watch how you talk abou those nuts and fruitcakes out there! I take my nuttiness seriously! (born and raised in LA) And I LOVE a good fruitcake!
remnjava said:
Not a fruitcake just pita red flag guest.
cry_smile.gif

I am sure they will be "gluten and dairy free guests."

Another "land of fruits and nuts" here, born in Glendale(LA) Calif. Funny I just got a call from a guy looking for this Thurs eve(honeymoon),one night, had a million questions, last one was "what is your draw?" do you have great veiws? I say "OH you have not seen my site yet" yes he has....".well the price.. for a cottage w/fireplace,2 person jetted tub,king,bed,kit,deck etc its a good price or you can pay $100.00 more a night elswhere. Think about it all and call me back if you like" he says O.K. ,hangs up,,,,,,life goes on in Bridgewater, Va.
confused_smile.gif

Another "land of fruits and nuts" here, born in Glendale(LA) Calif. Funny I just got a call from a guy looking for this Thurs eve(honeymoon),one night, had a million questions, last one was "what is your draw?" do you have great veiws? I say "OH you have not seen my site yet" yes he has....".well the price.. for a cottage w/fireplace,2 person jetted tub,king,bed,kit,deck etc its a good price or you can pay $100.00 more a night elswhere. Think about it all and call me back if you like" he says O.K. ,hangs up,,,,,,life goes on in Bridgewater, Va.
confused_smile.gif
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
confused_smile.gif
You have very good prices and he should book it right up!
(I was born and raised in San Diego FYI).

aieee! Califs are the spaciest guests sometimes. Not all of 'em, but lots of 'em. We have some nuts here right now! LOL We gave them the same directions, three times.

My biker boys booked 6 months in advance and the only contact was when after reading some posts here, I got nervous about 3 months later (whole house on one credit card) and I called to reconfirm (no Internet). The response was - don't sell our rooms! I reassured him I was not going to do that, just wanted to verify they were still coming. A week later I received a check for 1/2 of the total.
I did have one that booked for a horse event a year in advance and I called that one a couple weeks before to verify - sure enough, they were not going after all and she "forgot" she had the reservation. Will not book a year in advance again although the horse people are usually here if they say they will be.

remnjava said:
Not a fruitcake just pita red flag guest.
cry_smile.gif

I am sure they will be "gluten and dairy free guests."
My gluten free comes next week. Wish me luck!

The ones who call that far in advance and don't book are the ones who call back 10 times just to make sure they've made the right decision by booking somewhere else! They'll pick my brain for things to do and then stay at the place that charges $50/night less.

The ones who call that far in advance and don't book are the ones who call back 10 times just to make sure they've made the right decision by booking somewhere else! They'll pick my brain for things to do and then stay at the place that charges $50/night less..
If they haven't made a reservation with you..then tell them to call the local visitors bureau.
pita.gif

I get bookings from the UK and Europe months and months in advance - sometimes a year. They don't cancel. They don't bother me with stupid questions. I love it!

We are fortunate to have a lot of our bookings way in advance. In our busy summer, most guests are from out of state and have planned their trips in advance. The rest of the year, our more local/regional guests are coming to us for a special occasion (anniversary, b-day, honeymoon) so will also book in advance. I don't have any higher percentage of cancellations with guests booking way in advance than the ones who book closer to their arrival date.

Back