My Turn for the POOR Trip Advisor Review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Smurf

Reaction score
I know am going to get a chorus of this response is way too long and detailed and I should stick to a Boilerplate generic response, but I'm inspired by a great TA response just posted by the Puff in Inn in nearby Ogunquit to a "Horrible" review. I feel it's necessary for we Owner's to speak the truth, so here is my rough draft which includes some of their great response:
POOF! Fair warning, since another poster had just posted her TA response & snippets from the review just recently with lots of responses here, thought it was OK, but Mr. Google identifies her place too with just a phrase or two of what has been posted here.... Thanks for the heads up, y'all.

I could, but her review was lengthy in itself and very pointed. I have posted other lengthy management responses and am often told by guests that use TA that they chose us because we took the time to and cared enough to respond to a bad review instead of just a simple standard brush-off. AND they enjoy reading our responses in the entirety.

Btw, Puff in's response was even longer. If more Owner's tell their side in detail, more reviewer's might become a bit more hesitant to leave distorted facts, if they know their reviews are going to be torn apart.

I think you did a great job responding to her review and I don't see a problem with it being so long. I recently put a long one up because I wanted to be sure to respond to all of her remarks and let others know the reason why we can't have a giant TV hanging in the handicap room - - because the poor wheelchair bound guest might smash their head rolling by!!! And that we drove over 2 hours to spend $1000 to buy more chairs so more guests can now sit around the fire pit as the chairs were full when she was here and wouldn't use ones on the deck. So put up what makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about how long it is, some reviews deserve a long response. Really not liking being an innkeeper this week ……...

I think you did a great job responding to her review and I don't see a problem with it being so long. I recently put a long one up because I wanted to be sure to respond to all of her remarks and let others know the reason why we can't have a giant TV hanging in the handicap room - - because the poor wheelchair bound guest might smash their head rolling by!!! And that we drove over 2 hours to spend $1000 to buy more chairs so more guests can now sit around the fire pit as the chairs were full when she was here and wouldn't use ones on the deck. So put up what makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about how long it is, some reviews deserve a long response. Really not liking being an innkeeper this week ……....
Thanks MtnKeeper. I am feeling rebellious and think that if more Owners took the time to write a point by point rebuttal, these vindictive reviewers would be less likely to post and be exposed. Any reader who would take offense to our response, is not the kind of guest we want here anyway.

Sorry this happened Smurfs.
You already know my response, you said it in the first line.
Don't fight fire with fire. If you clarify we have never accepted B&B GC's then say it, and say we are sorry the guest was "Disappointed"
As human beings we have a need to set wrongs right. We are hurt by rotten reviews (personally and financially). Yes they do impact us, so how we respond makes all the difference.
May I ask a favor? May I ask that you read your entire response out-loud verbally say every word from start to finish and see if you feel this is the best method. It sounds like you are correcting her and fighting a battle with a guest, I don't think that is your intention. She is well traveled, she has a lot of contributions. If it were me, I would step back and think about it a bit more.

Don't fight fire with fire. If you clarify we have never accepted B&B GC's then say it, and say we are sorry the guest was "Disappointed"
As human beings we have a need to set wrongs right. We are hurt by rotten reviews (personally and financially). Yes they do impact us, so how we respond makes all the difference.
May I ask a favor? May I ask that you read your entire response out-loud verbally say every word from start to finish and see if you feel this is the best method. It sounds like you are correcting her and fighting a battle with a guest, I don't think that is your intention. She is well traveled, she has a lot of contributions. If it were me, I would step back and think about it a bit more..
Thanks JB. Am not posting this today, will let it set after more feedback here. Poppa has read it and likes it and does not think we are correcting at all. Simply stating the truth. Again, I strongly believe that is our mission. I really don't feel at all bad about this review, in fact, shared it with all our guests at the breakfast table yesterday, who thought it was ridiculous. Even though she has tons of contributions, this was unwarranted and maybe she'll think twice the next time she considers giving someone a Poor rating. We have tons of great reviews, so I feel that our side has as equal weight and value.

May I ask a favor? May I ask that you read your entire response out-loud verbally say every word from start to finish and see if you feel this is the best method. It sounds like you are correcting her and fighting a battle with a guest, I don't think that is your intention. She is well traveled, she has a lot of contributions. If it were me, I would step back and think about it a bit more..
Thanks JB. Am not posting this today, will let it set after more feedback here. Poppa has read it and likes it and does not think we are correcting at all. Simply stating the truth. Again, I strongly believe that is our mission. I really don't feel at all bad about this review, in fact, shared it with all our guests at the breakfast table yesterday, who thought it was ridiculous. Even though she has tons of contributions, this was unwarranted and maybe she'll think twice the next time she considers giving someone a Poor rating. We have tons of great reviews, so I feel that our side has as equal weight and value.
Of course, you have more than equal weight and value. We know that.
It is still her opinion, and you can't change that, she won't care if you write a response, and I know you are hoping it will be for future guests to read. She was obv mad and went to town on you, that is what it sounds like when you read it (her review).

I didn't realize you were so close to the cliff walk! I've probably walked right by your place!

I didn't realize you were so close to the cliff walk! I've probably walked right by your place!.
We are up the hill from the hidden "hobbit hole" end. As I say, if we could just scoot down there as the crow flies, it would be about a six or seven minute walk ... 500 yards.

I think you did a great job responding to her review and I don't see a problem with it being so long. I recently put a long one up because I wanted to be sure to respond to all of her remarks and let others know the reason why we can't have a giant TV hanging in the handicap room - - because the poor wheelchair bound guest might smash their head rolling by!!! And that we drove over 2 hours to spend $1000 to buy more chairs so more guests can now sit around the fire pit as the chairs were full when she was here and wouldn't use ones on the deck. So put up what makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about how long it is, some reviews deserve a long response. Really not liking being an innkeeper this week ……....
Thanks MtnKeeper. I am feeling rebellious and think that if more Owners took the time to write a point by point rebuttal, these vindictive reviewers would be less likely to post and be exposed. Any reader who would take offense to our response, is not the kind of guest we want here anyway.
Not sure these vindictive types will ever stop posting as they're mostly just doing it to be mean, but it lets the next guests have both sides of the story. So sick of second guessing ourselves because of these jerks when were awesome and 99% of the guests agree and say so.

You can still make your point by editing the length a bit..
Madeleine said:
You can still make your point by editing the length a bit.
thumbs_up.gif

Btw, Puff in's response was even longer. If more Owner's tell their side in detail, more reviewer's might become a bit more hesitant to leave distorted facts, if they know their reviews are going to be torn apart..
Momma Smurf said:
Btw, Puff in's response was even longer. If more Owner's tell their side in detail, more reviewer's might become a bit more hesitant to leave distorted facts, if they know their reviews are going to be torn apart.
It's not just telling your side of the story but making it clear that the review is a spiteful, unwarranted retaliation for a mistake or problem caused by the guests themselves. .

Btw, Puff in's response was even longer. If more Owner's tell their side in detail, more reviewer's might become a bit more hesitant to leave distorted facts, if they know their reviews are going to be torn apart..
Momma Smurf said:
It's not just telling your side of the story but making it clear that the review is a spiteful, unwarranted retaliation for a mistake or problem caused by the guests themselves. .
Thank you Highlands John! After 9 years, we're not gonna take it anymore!

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Absoluelty.... and I think your average guest reading the reviews will respect you all the more for it.

Yes, her review was unwarranted. You can say that in a shorter response. What do we say over and over here....people don't read, people don't read, people don't read.
If you want prospective guests to actually read it, then make your points short, but valid.
I'm like you, I want to spell everything out. Something upsetting happened recently and I retold it here on the forum. Of course, at length. Later that day, DH did a post on his FB page and his description of it was about 20 words and he nailed it! I just can't condense it like he can, but that's what's needed in management responses.
I'm sorry you had this self involved guest...sometimes they are so frustrating we can't help but feel abused by them.

Yes, her review was unwarranted. You can say that in a shorter response. What do we say over and over here....people don't read, people don't read, people don't read.
If you want prospective guests to actually read it, then make your points short, but valid.
I'm like you, I want to spell everything out. Something upsetting happened recently and I retold it here on the forum. Of course, at length. Later that day, DH did a post on his FB page and his description of it was about 20 words and he nailed it! I just can't condense it like he can, but that's what's needed in management responses.
I'm sorry you had this self involved guest...sometimes they are so frustrating we can't help but feel abused by them..
Yes, people do not read our policies etc, because they have no juice. I tend to skip over positive TA reviews and read the negative reviews and responses entirely. I believe my point is made in the very first paragraph, so if they don't read further nothing is lost. Her review is Very long.. Am trimming my response a bit, but not much.

i know you want to post a long response - you want to get all your points across. whatever you do, just make sure that first paragraph says what you really want prospective guests to read, straight away, because those first lines are what people will see.
also, i recommend not using ALL CAPS. maybe you can bold that text about the gift cards or bold and underline ...

i know you want to post a long response - you want to get all your points across. whatever you do, just make sure that first paragraph says what you really want prospective guests to read, straight away, because those first lines are what people will see.
also, i recommend not using ALL CAPS. maybe you can bold that text about the gift cards or bold and underline ....
Yeah, I know CAPS are a no-no and would prefer bold, but am not sure that TA allows for that. This line needs to be emphatic.

Back