mysterious fly infestation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
A repeat couple, very nice, visits with the PO when they come to town, wouldn't stay anywhere else.
Wanted 4 nights but we didn't have it, so they agreed to switch rooms after two nights.
We switched them to our most expensive room and charged them the less expensive rate so that they could stay four nights.
Evening after they moved they came to us saying the room was full of flies. DH and nephew both went up, killed a bunch of flies, taped off seams in the attic access doors, checked windows, double checked under sink and bed. They came back later saying there were more flies. DH went up and killed two or three.
Next day, we offered to move them again, but they kept the expensive (best views) room. Later that day, the complained again of flies. By now, I don't care. They could have moved and I get the distinct impression they are hoping for a break in the price (when they already HAVE a break in the price.)
DH discounted their room 50% on one day. Nothing for the second day. THEN, they want to pay separately!!!!! So he had to take two cards, do the math, blah blah blah. I'm getting ticked, but I'm not in charge.
DH decided it was a haunting from the PO's deceased husband. I wondered if the flies were in their bags (they aren't the tidiest of guests.)
Anyway, no flies now, none the day before.
Haunting makes the most sense.

Huh? Brought a jar of flies along? The world is full of mysteries!

Huh? Brought a jar of flies along? The world is full of mysteries!.
Duff2014 said:
The world is full of mysteries!
You want mystery? What were the family of 3 doing in their room all morning that involved jumping, bumping and pounding on the walls?
Why did they disassemble the air conditioner?
Why did they take apart the wood stove?
Why did they walk down the street carrying a large plastic trash bag after putting their luggage in the car?
Why did they never once shut a door behind them?

They took apart the wood stove?????????? Is that what was in the trash can?????????
How do you find these people?????

Huh? Brought a jar of flies along? The world is full of mysteries!.
Duff2014 said:
You want mystery? What were the family of 3 doing in their room all morning that involved jumping, bumping and pounding on the walls?
Why did they walk down the street carrying a large plastic trash bag after putting their luggage in the car?
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
Don't know! But we found the wifi extender that went missing!!!!! Came into the room and there it was sitting on my aunt's desk…. missing for two weeks. Do you know how many times we walked past it and sat at that desk?!?!!?!!!! It won't say a word when asked where it came from.

Wonder if they had something in there bags that was producing those flies.
If you never found the source, it left with them!
Mort, OMG! You know I would have to contact them and ask if there was something wrong.
Duff, do you have a ghost that plays tricks?
All this makes me happy I am in my slow time.

Wonder if they had something in there bags that was producing those flies.
If you never found the source, it left with them!
Mort, OMG! You know I would have to contact them and ask if there was something wrong.
Duff, do you have a ghost that plays tricks?
All this makes me happy I am in my slow time..
As far as we know we don't.

Love the haunting theory. I had those blue bottle flies in the cupola overnight ... like 200 of them. Scared me silly. Two days later or so, all gone.
My guess is rotting food in their luggage ... every time they opened the bag ... a few more flies came out. bzzzzz

Love the haunting theory. I had those blue bottle flies in the cupola overnight ... like 200 of them. Scared me silly. Two days later or so, all gone.
My guess is rotting food in their luggage ... every time they opened the bag ... a few more flies came out. bzzzzz.
We were wondering if it was food or something in their luggage. No sign of flies now.

And I'm just expecting zippers to be zipping around the room :)

Update - day three after the complaining couple left - still no flies.
not sayin' anything, just sayin'.....

I had cluster flies in a house once for the entire winter season (Ohio). They were all over the windows, hundreds and hundreds of them. It felt like Amityville Horror. After a lot of old fashioned research (just before the time of Internet), I figured out where they came from and made it a point to treat my lawn for grubs in the early spring.

I had cluster flies in a house once for the entire winter season (Ohio). They were all over the windows, hundreds and hundreds of them. It felt like Amityville Horror. After a lot of old fashioned research (just before the time of Internet), I figured out where they came from and made it a point to treat my lawn for grubs in the early spring..
Hi Sanctuary! Good to 'see' ya!

I had cluster flies in a house once for the entire winter season (Ohio). They were all over the windows, hundreds and hundreds of them. It felt like Amityville Horror. After a lot of old fashioned research (just before the time of Internet), I figured out where they came from and made it a point to treat my lawn for grubs in the early spring..
We have missed you.

Welcome back to port! We missed you while you were out to sea…. If you want to expand your fleet, Ocean Romance Yacht B&B is for sale.

Update #2.
It had been a week with no sightings and yesterday, the housekeeper told us the room was full of flies. (Guest had not said a word!)
DH found the flies squeezing in between the packing tape he had put around the hatch to the attic space. He put weather stripping around the hatch to seal it better and sprayed a can of Raid into the attic space. No guests expected today, so all good.
Why they need to live in our attic, we do not know, but problem covered up for now.
And I guess it wasn't a haunting. .......or waaaasssss itttttt?

Back