Mystery Vegetarians

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
Had a couple in for 1 night. No mention of any dietary requirements either on the booking or at check-in.
At breakfast she ordered our special eggs, which clearly says "cheesy scrambled eggs with ham" on the menu, when she was served she said "I can't eat that, I'm vegetarian". She then asked for scrambled eggs and DH told her she'd have to wait because I was cooking the next couples breakfast, which clearly put her nose out of joint.
She went away and gave us a 7.5-staff and 5-value on bdc (of course no right to reply) , but the husband on the same day left us a good report and a 5/5 on TA.

You know, it's bad enough for us with no menu to get that crap. But I'm assuming it was WRITTEN in front of her when she opted for it.
"OK, let me have the plate, I'll pick the ham out and bring it back. Or, YOU could do the same."
Or, "Excuse me, but what part of this offends you? The cheese from cows, the eggs from chickens, the ham from pigs? Perhaps it's ok with you if the animal is caged in order to produce food, but you'd prefer it didn't die to feed you? Help me out here. Maybe some carrots to help improve your eyesight to read the menu."
(Sorry, Basil Fawlty is alive and well this morning.)

You know, it's bad enough for us with no menu to get that crap. But I'm assuming it was WRITTEN in front of her when she opted for it.
"OK, let me have the plate, I'll pick the ham out and bring it back. Or, YOU could do the same."
Or, "Excuse me, but what part of this offends you? The cheese from cows, the eggs from chickens, the ham from pigs? Perhaps it's ok with you if the animal is caged in order to produce food, but you'd prefer it didn't die to feed you? Help me out here. Maybe some carrots to help improve your eyesight to read the menu."
(Sorry, Basil Fawlty is alive and well this morning.).
I'd have had a Basil Fawlty moment if she hadn't blocked reply on bdc.
"We've acquired many skills after 16 years of running our B&B, sadly telepathy isn't one of them"

Thanks, John. I've been craving cheesy scrambled eggs with ham for two days now!

(Sorry, Basil Fawlty is alive and well this morning.).
I'd have had a Basil Fawlty moment if she hadn't blocked reply on bdc.
"We've acquired many skills after 16 years of running our B&B, sadly telepathy isn't one of them"
I'm filing that one away. I may need it. ;-)
BTW, I have also been craving cheesy eggs with ham and I don't even like eggs.

Wow! That sounds delicious! Too bad I'm on this side of the pond....

Back