Myth #5: The breakfasts are fattening and unhealthy.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do low-fat, low cholesterol but I do not think it is obvious - at least not from the comments in the books. The great breakfast is the most common comment - either before or after the great conversation.
I do not keep cereal, bread or milk in-house unless I know a kid id coming and then I get some. I bake bread when the spirit moves me (English muffin bread is made in the morning w/breakfast. I use powdered milk in baking - it is just skim milk with the water removed and has a VERY long shelf life. If drinking it, I go buy some. The people tomorrow have "ordered" their breakfasts. The e-mail I received:
[COLOR= #1f497d]My husband asked me to give you the following additional information:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #1f497d]“Let her know that I am diabetic and prefer eggs and whole wheat toast (with meat, such as sausage). I only get away with the cereal at home because I rigidly control the type and amount of cereal I eat. Even then it sends my blood sugar up. Prefer skim milk or water to drink.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]Don”[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #1f497d]I mostly eat cereal (shredded wheat and bran) with unsweetened soy milk, but also like oatmeal and other hot cereals, whole-grain pancakes (without milk or eggs), and muffins and other baked goods (again, without milk or eggs or large amounts of sugar). Fresh fruit is always good.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #1f497d]We look forward to our stay at Gillum House.[/COLOR]

I replied I planned to make baked oatmeal with Sple nda (she says without the Splen da because she does not like things too sweet). I will cook and they will eat or they will not....
gillumhouse said:
[COLOR= #1f497d]My husband asked me to give you the following additional information:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #1f497d]“Let her know that I am diabetic and prefer eggs and whole wheat toast (with meat, such as sausage). I only get away with the cereal at home because I rigidly control the type and amount of cereal I eat. Even then it sends my blood sugar up. Prefer skim milk or water to drink.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]Don”[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #1f497d]I mostly eat cereal (shredded wheat and bran) with unsweetened soy milk, but also like oatmeal and other hot cereals, whole-grain pancakes (without milk or eggs), and muffins and other baked goods (again, without milk or eggs or large amounts of sugar). Fresh fruit is always good.[/COLOR]
I hate people like this. Stay home already.
Who are they, Jack Sprat and the Missus? They have exactly the opposite diets.
DH and I are Jack Sprat & wife in person. He will not touch anything with fat (not more than eating half of my portion anyway) and I never met a piece of chocolate, crisp bacon, hunk of cheese, etc that I did not like!

The plates are licked clean. I don't think it matters if they are healthy meals or not. Let 'em go eat tofu and seaweed at an expensive spa if they want healthy.

Just back from a lovely 5 nights in Maine....where we ate everything put before us and loved it! Granted, I did have to request a small glass of milk for a bit of protein on the days we were served pancakes, but other than that....what diet?
So today we are back in business and have one gluten-free and, up until this morning, a "I may not stay on my diet so don't worry about me". Then the e-mail came....she's sticking to her diet...no grains, except rice...no dairy, no soy, no sugar. She'll eat a scrambled egg as long as the egg white is not apparent. So, that's what she'll get for 3 mornings....scramled eggs it is! Everyone else will get a regular, mostly healthy breakfast. Really, some people really miss out on life, don't you think?

Just back from a lovely 5 nights in Maine....where we ate everything put before us and loved it! Granted, I did have to request a small glass of milk for a bit of protein on the days we were served pancakes, but other than that....what diet?
So today we are back in business and have one gluten-free and, up until this morning, a "I may not stay on my diet so don't worry about me". Then the e-mail came....she's sticking to her diet...no grains, except rice...no dairy, no soy, no sugar. She'll eat a scrambled egg as long as the egg white is not apparent. So, that's what she'll get for 3 mornings....scramled eggs it is! Everyone else will get a regular, mostly healthy breakfast. Really, some people really miss out on life, don't you think?.
(off topic, well not really...) So when you had pancakes you weren't served scrambled eggs with them? No meat? (on your getaway). Did you have plenty of fruit with the breakfasts? Always curious to find from the innkeeper sitting on the other side of the table.
I had a no show for breakfast this morning. They said they didn't know we served breakfast. ? B&B? Confirmation, breakfast photos on the website, breakfast questions on the online res form, me - physically showing them yesterday the dining room where they will have breakfast...some people are just awful liars, and it makes me madder. If they said "we wanted to sleep in" then sobeit, but don't pack a lie onto it.

So today we are back in business and have one gluten-free and, up until this morning, a "I may not stay on my diet so don't worry about me". Then the e-mail came....she's sticking to her diet...no grains, except rice...no dairy, no soy, no sugar. She'll eat a scrambled egg as long as the egg white is not apparent. So, that's what she'll get for 3 mornings....scramled eggs it is! Everyone else will get a regular, mostly healthy breakfast. Really, some people really miss out on life, don't you think?.
I tried to book into a B & B for the Illinois trip. It would have been a 3-nights Sun - Tues. I called 3 times (hung up first time when noticed the time w/b breakfast there) and left messages twice. E-mailed asking about stairs at their cottage and availability - the web site sucked re info. To this day - no answer period! So we went motel.
Breakfast morning #1 - 8:30 AM no eggs, no yogurt. The waffle maker never made a cooked waffle (tried twice) - just dug it out and ate the darn things. Morning #2 - 8:00 AMwaffle worked better but still not "done". No eggs and no yogurt. Morning #3 - 7:30 AM woohoo boiled eggs and yogurt and the freaking waffle machine actually cooked the waffle!!
They had bagels, juice, bread for toast (but morning #1 toaster was not working per s-i-l), apples, cereal/instant oatmeal, coffee, and milk every morning and morning #3 there were small donuts. Breakfast was blah!!
This morning my vegan had baked oatmeal and her husband had the egg bake with whole wheat toast (I made wheat bread last night). He is severe diabetic. I made peanut butter banana muffins using stevia (put choc chips in the remaining batter for my walk-ins - blessedly normal people).

(off topic, well not really...) So when you had pancakes you weren't served scrambled eggs with them? No meat? (on your getaway). Did you have plenty of fruit with the breakfasts? Always curious to find from the innkeeper sitting on the other side of the table.
I had a no show for breakfast this morning. They said they didn't know we served breakfast. ? B&B? Confirmation, breakfast photos on the website, breakfast questions on the online res form, me - physically showing them yesterday the dining room where they will have breakfast...some people are just awful liars, and it makes me madder. If they said "we wanted to sleep in" then sobeit, but don't pack a lie onto it.
ive had this before - ie thought they had to pay extra for it if they came but I was telling them it was avaliable if they wanted to come -
Uh No - I have to know the night before how many so we can prepare enough breakfasts!
Left my mum in charge and yes there is always some problem when I return - told the people in the room directly above our bedroom that it would be fine to bring back their adult grandson to sleep on the sofa when they return from a wedding ie 3 people crashing about over our heads! I always vet who goes in this room ie older people not staying out late so I don't have this problem. However the grandson may not stay at all so has jiggered me for breakfast numbers and for fire regs - just ruddy great!

We really like this B+B but my one gripe is that they do not have any protein on the mornings they serve the sweet entree. But they are very accommodating to providing a glass of milk, which is enough to save me from having low blood sugar by 10 am. They have also cut back on baking muffins, so we didn't see any sweet baked goods while there this time. Here's what they served for the 4 mornings we were there (plus they packed us a nice bag breakfast on the day we left because we headed for home at 6 am.)
Day 1: lemon poached pears pancakes with syrup
Day 2: poached peaches with mascarpone cheese frittata with veggies and cheese, toast and a side of cukes/sundried tomatoes...kind of a small salad but delicous
Day 3: peaches and pears, cut up with lime and mint waffles with syrup
Day 4: pear/cranberry crumble southwest egg bake biscuit with side of corn/bean salad
Personally, I always provide some protein either with meat, yogurt, milk or eggs. Doesn't it seem strange to you that anyone would not? It's not a deal breaker for us, but it does point out that a few more things on the plate might nicely round out the meal. And, just so you don't accuse me of hyjacking this thread,
wink_smile.gif
I think a healthy breakfast should always have some form protein as an option.

We really like this B+B but my one gripe is that they do not have any protein on the mornings they serve the sweet entree. But they are very accommodating to providing a glass of milk, which is enough to save me from having low blood sugar by 10 am. They have also cut back on baking muffins, so we didn't see any sweet baked goods while there this time. Here's what they served for the 4 mornings we were there (plus they packed us a nice bag breakfast on the day we left because we headed for home at 6 am.)
Day 2: poached peaches with mascarpone cheese frittata with veggies and cheese, toast and a side of cukes/sundried tomatoes...kind of a small salad but delicous
Day 4: pear/cranberry crumble southwest egg bake biscuit with side of corn/bean salad
Personally, I always provide some protein either with meat, yogurt, milk or eggs. Doesn't it seem strange to you that anyone would not? It's not a deal breaker for us, but it does point out that a few more things on the plate might nicely round out the meal. And, just so you don't accuse me of hyjacking this thread,
wink_smile.gif
That is very interesting. I wanted to know...
I am the first person to admit I don't want a sweet breakfast, there may be a sweet component, sure. I am the one who tried out the "steak and eggs" for Father's day or whatever here. And fruit, I want it pure, I don't want it hot or cooked. Just me, how I like things.
I require protein, I also require some form of fiber, so however that works out in a breakfast is how I like it. Fresh fruit is hard to find eating out, but at a B&B I expect it.
I appreciate all different takes on breakfast, if you take the time to make it I will enjoy it no matter what. But what I prefer, is well my own take on it.

wink_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
Like bacon? ;)

wink_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
Like bacon? ;)
Bacon works for me! And PLEASE..don't tell me it's not healthy...I ain't listening!
tounge_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
Like bacon? ;)
Bacon??? Gimmee, gimmee, GIMMEE!!!!!!!!!!! Nice & crisp!

wink_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
Like bacon? ;)
Bacon works for me! And PLEASE..don't tell me it's not healthy...I ain't listening!
tounge_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif
Bacon is healthy. It makes us happy---

Bacon is unfortunately low in protein...which just means you have to eat more of it so you get enough protein.
wink_smile.gif

Interesting that they do a sweet fruit AND a sweet entree....I'm with you, it needs something savory to balance it out.

Bacon is unfortunately low in protein...which just means you have to eat more of it so you get enough protein.
wink_smile.gif

Interesting that they do a sweet fruit AND a sweet entree....I'm with you, it needs something savory to balance it out..
SM101 said:
Interesting that they do a sweet fruit AND a sweet entree....I'm with you, it needs something savory to balance it out.
We alternate between sweet and savory entrees, but always have a breakfast meat on the side. On the morning I do sweet entrees, I still have a fruit course but it tends toward unadulterated fruit, or with yogurt added to it for some protein, like the breakfast banana split or chilled peach soup.

My response:
Too hard to do a poll on this one, but fattening and unhealthy are in the eye of the beholder. I don't do cook to order breakfasts, and I don't do low fat options. I am not a dietition, I cook for 12+ people at once, and unless an allergy, they get a delicious homecooked breakfast. If they want to add butter to their pancakes, that is up to them. :).
We don't do 'healthy' and we've been told that by guests who are on strict rationing of calories. You're not getting a low fat, low carb, low sugar hunk of cardboard on the plate here. We believe in flavors, fats, sugar, fruit! If you're 'dieting' or 'don't eat that' then don't eat that!
I've seen scathing reviews going both ways...'health food crap' and 'a plate of carbs and butter'. We've been told our portions are too large and not enough and just right.
C'mon people, you're on vacation. Relax the rigidity for 2 days already.
Speaking of rigidity... of course you have the right to serve whatever you want in your B&B, but what about bending the rules a little bit to accomodate guests? You can have different options, so even the uptight, health food lovers can have their share.
A little bit of this and a little bit of that would be the perfect balance - even in the personal diet, I believe. Nobody needs to either starve with tasteless food or eat 3 pounds of bacon every day :)

My response:
Too hard to do a poll on this one, but fattening and unhealthy are in the eye of the beholder. I don't do cook to order breakfasts, and I don't do low fat options. I am not a dietition, I cook for 12+ people at once, and unless an allergy, they get a delicious homecooked breakfast. If they want to add butter to their pancakes, that is up to them. :).
We don't do 'healthy' and we've been told that by guests who are on strict rationing of calories. You're not getting a low fat, low carb, low sugar hunk of cardboard on the plate here. We believe in flavors, fats, sugar, fruit! If you're 'dieting' or 'don't eat that' then don't eat that!
I've seen scathing reviews going both ways...'health food crap' and 'a plate of carbs and butter'. We've been told our portions are too large and not enough and just right.
C'mon people, you're on vacation. Relax the rigidity for 2 days already.
Speaking of rigidity... of course you have the right to serve whatever you want in your B&B, but what about bending the rules a little bit to accomodate guests? You can have different options, so even the uptight, health food lovers can have their share.
A little bit of this and a little bit of that would be the perfect balance - even in the personal diet, I believe. Nobody needs to either starve with tasteless food or eat 3 pounds of bacon every day :)
Mudboy said:
First of all - give me the bacon!
Are you an innkeeper? Have you ever served a breakfast? Your comment makes me think you have not. We are not restaurants - different options my butt! I ask and accommodate to the best of my ability, after that it is their problem. Unless it is a health problem - ONE ENTREE for breakfast no matter who is there.

wink_smile.gif

Interesting that they do a sweet fruit AND a sweet entree....I'm with you, it needs something savory to balance it out..
SM101 said:
We alternate between sweet and savory entrees, but always have a breakfast meat on the side. On the morning I do sweet entrees, I still have a fruit course but it tends toward unadulterated fruit, or with yogurt added to it for some protein, like the breakfast banana split or chilled peach soup.
I did the same...a less sweet fruit option on the day of a sweet entree. Savory mornings they might get something as sweet as a fruit crisp!
We had a small breakfast today at this inn, plated on a smaller plate to look larger - half a strawberry and one quarter of a slice of orange garnish. What????? And the smallest coffee mugs I`ve ever seen...held less than a china cup, I think. I had to get up and refill it 4 times so my breakfast got cold. :-(

No no no....coffee mugs need to be at least 10 oz AND they have to have good heat retention. I can't tell you how many coffee mugs I've given away over the years that haven't had heat retention.
That's the one thing I dislike about most dish sets - the coffee cups are ridiculously small.

No no no....coffee mugs need to be at least 10 oz AND they have to have good heat retention. I can't tell you how many coffee mugs I've given away over the years that haven't had heat retention.
That's the one thing I dislike about most dish sets - the coffee cups are ridiculously small..
I had my coffee cups (mugs really I guess) made by a potter here in WV. I told him I wasnted a cup big enough to be a CUP of coffee and a handle a man could wrap his hand around and not burn his fingers. Each one is individually "thrown" and signed by the potter. No two are exactly alike.

wink_smile.gif

SM101 said:
I did the same...a less sweet fruit option on the day of a sweet entree. Savory mornings they might get something as sweet as a fruit crisp!
We had a small breakfast today at this inn, plated on a smaller plate to look larger - half a strawberry and one quarter of a slice of orange garnish. What????? And the smallest coffee mugs I`ve ever seen...held less than a china cup, I think. I had to get up and refill it 4 times so my breakfast got cold. :-(
I hate it when garnish is supposed to be your fruit! I stayed at an inn once where the innkeeper sliced a third of a slice of cantaloupe so think you could see through it! Cheap...cheap...cheap...

Back