Myth #5: The breakfasts are fattening and unhealthy.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My response:
Too hard to do a poll on this one, but fattening and unhealthy are in the eye of the beholder. I don't do cook to order breakfasts, and I don't do low fat options. I am not a dietition, I cook for 12+ people at once, and unless an allergy, they get a delicious homecooked breakfast. If they want to add butter to their pancakes, that is up to them. :).
We don't do 'healthy' and we've been told that by guests who are on strict rationing of calories. You're not getting a low fat, low carb, low sugar hunk of cardboard on the plate here. We believe in flavors, fats, sugar, fruit! If you're 'dieting' or 'don't eat that' then don't eat that!
I've seen scathing reviews going both ways...'health food crap' and 'a plate of carbs and butter'. We've been told our portions are too large and not enough and just right.
C'mon people, you're on vacation. Relax the rigidity for 2 days already.
Speaking of rigidity... of course you have the right to serve whatever you want in your B&B, but what about bending the rules a little bit to accomodate guests? You can have different options, so even the uptight, health food lovers can have their share.
A little bit of this and a little bit of that would be the perfect balance - even in the personal diet, I believe. Nobody needs to either starve with tasteless food or eat 3 pounds of bacon every day :)
Mudboy said:
Speaking of rigidity... of course you have the right to serve whatever you want in your B&B, but what about bending the rules a little bit to accomodate guests? You can have different options, so even the uptight, health food lovers can have their share.
A little bit of this and a little bit of that would be the perfect balance - even in the personal diet, I believe. Nobody needs to either starve with tasteless food or eat 3 pounds of bacon every day :)
OK, lets have an example of what you serve at your place. Let me give you some restrictions first:
  • Room 1 cannot have dairy, but you don't know which one or if it's both of them;
  • Room 2 cannot have eggs or gluten (again both or just one?);
  • Rooms 3-6 SAY they will eat anything;
  • Room 7 is a vegan and a 'will eat anything';
  • Room 8 never bothered to mention anything about their diet but they tell you as you serve the first course that they can't eat anything sugary.
Now, feed all of them at one sitting at 8:30 AM. Go to it mudboy...

Hi guys, just diving in here as a new poster. My parents run a B&B in Central America and get a lot of American and Canadian guests. Most of the guests are looking for a "local" style breakfast and will eat whatever is put in front of them. At my parents place that means: homemade bread or tortillas, eggs, beans or fish, fresh tropical fruit, cheese, coffee and tea. That is how the locals eat and most guests want to taste for themselves. They very rarely serve meat at breakfast. Fish is common though.

A small fraction of their guests do have strict dietary requests and my parents are always looking for ways to accommodate them but they have one cook and sometimes up to 20 people to serve.

If they were in a cooler climate I would suggest making a small crock of oatmeal for those guests who would choose it but it's way too warm down there for hot cereal.

Not being familiar with vegan and GF diets, my parents asked me to research what options they might keep on hand for those requests.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, just diving in here as a new poster. My parents run a B&B in Central America and get a lot of American and Canadian guests. Most of the guests are looking for a "local" style breakfast and will eat whatever is put in front of them. At my parents place that means: homemade bread or tortillas, eggs, beans or fish, fresh tropical fruit, cheese, coffee and tea. That is how the locals eat and most guests want to taste for themselves. They very rarely serve meat at breakfast. Fish is common though.

A small fraction of their guests do have strict dietary requests and my parents are always looking for ways to accommodate them but they have one cook and sometimes up to 20 people to serve.

If they were in a cooler climate I would suggest making a small crock of oatmeal for those guests who would choose it but it's way too warm down there for hot cereal.

Not being familiar with vegan and GF diets, my parents asked me to research what options they might keep on hand for those requests.

Thanks in advance..
Newbatgirl said:

Thanks in advance.
Red Mi ll makes a GF all-purpose mix. I figure if I make a loaf of GF bread, I have a minimum of 3 breakfasts.
#1 = eggs & toast & the eggs can be variations to make more breakfasts (baked with different herbs or fried or poached)
#2 = French Toast
#3 = bread pudding
For vegans just make a baked or fried potato casserole (fry in corn , olive, or safflower oil) - potato slices or chunks with peppers, corn, tomatoes, whatever veggies available. The rule with vegans is they do not eat anything with a face or feet or product thereof. The face rules out fish and the feet eliminates honey for instance. Whatever fruits, veggies, nuts, and grains they have at their disposal will work for them.

Thanks in advance..
Do a search here for vegan or gluten free, you will find all sorts of information. There are lots of web sites out there as well that will give you tons of information if you just google it. Best wishes.

Thanks all,
Just googled GF. Looks like corn is considered GF as long as it's not processed or mixed with wheat flour. They may be able to use the masa harina they already have on hand for tamales and make corn tortillas and keep them in the freezer for guests.
As for the GF bread, I am looking at some recipes and I am worried about them being able to get some of the ingredients down there. They can make the rice flour but I'm not sure where they would find xantham gum or guar gum in Central American markets. Where do you guys source this in the US? Mail order?

Thanks all,
Just googled GF. Looks like corn is considered GF as long as it's not processed or mixed with wheat flour. They may be able to use the masa harina they already have on hand for tamales and make corn tortillas and keep them in the freezer for guests.
As for the GF bread, I am looking at some recipes and I am worried about them being able to get some of the ingredients down there. They can make the rice flour but I'm not sure where they would find xantham gum or guar gum in Central American markets. Where do you guys source this in the US? Mail order?.
Health food internet or go to http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free/ for a lot of it. They may be able to get by with just a couple bags of the all-purpose mix. I think I used one bag to make a loaf at Thanksgiving. I used half of that loaf to make stuffing fot her.

Thanks all,
As for the GF bread, I am looking at some recipes and I am worried about them being able to get some of the ingredients down there. They can make the rice flour but I'm not sure where they would find xantham gum or guar gum in Central American markets. Where do you guys source this in the US? Mail order?.
Bob's things are good. I have made up gluten free breads and frozen for use later on. Works just fine when a surprise guest shows up who didn't inform you :-(

Thanks all,
Take a look at the cornbread recipe here. It is my go-to recipe for GF folks and suitable for everyone with no exotic ingredients.

No gluten, no dairy, etc. I get all the time. I can not remember the last time I had someone ask for a 'healthy' breakfast. I'm not exaggerating....it's been at least 5-6 years!.
About 5-10 percent ask for healthy. Hubby usually gives them a full breakfast anyway. Fruit course, bread course which may include fruit, and meat with two sides.

We serve a big hearty breakfast, but it's not anything fancy that you'd see in a magazine or guest chef column. We have alot of people tell us that they are able to skip lunch because the breakfast lasted them all day - that's a compliment and added value as we're saving them money in our expensive little town. And for the most part we get back empty plates.
If someone asked for just toast, I'd see that as a food-cost savings and one less plate I'd have to prepare. On a full day we have 16+ at the table at once, so one less is nice when we're scrambling to feed everyone.
I, too, believe that they're on vacation so they expect to break diets. I'd definitely give healthier versions of what everyone else is getting if I was asked ahead of time..
Toast only throws a spanner into the mix. a deviation. I buy the food for the guests, so it is not a cost saver for me. I had an email today asking for grits. They are here one night on this holiday long weekend and want grits. I don't serve grits.
I can't believe that you don't serve grits!
wink_smile.gif

We didn't serve them that much, but people always asked about them. I never served grits as a hot cereal type of thing. Fancy cheesy grits as a side.
Samster, you must be in the South. We served grits (hubby insisted) and the guest refused them. Nobody has asked about them. Not that they aren't good. I've never developed a taste for them, but probably wouldn't turn them down.

My response:
Too hard to do a poll on this one, but fattening and unhealthy are in the eye of the beholder. I don't do cook to order breakfasts, and I don't do low fat options. I am not a dietition, I cook for 12+ people at once, and unless an allergy, they get a delicious homecooked breakfast. If they want to add butter to their pancakes, that is up to them. :).
We don't do 'healthy' and we've been told that by guests who are on strict rationing of calories. You're not getting a low fat, low carb, low sugar hunk of cardboard on the plate here. We believe in flavors, fats, sugar, fruit! If you're 'dieting' or 'don't eat that' then don't eat that!
I've seen scathing reviews going both ways...'health food crap' and 'a plate of carbs and butter'. We've been told our portions are too large and not enough and just right.
Sometimes innkeepers will ask if I'm on a certain diet/food concerns. Yes, I'm diabetic ...AND THEY SERVE... cinnamon rolls, regular French Toast with regular syrup or bread pudding as the main course...!

My response:
Sometimes innkeepers will ask if I'm on a certain diet/food concerns. Yes, I'm diabetic ...AND THEY SERVE... cinnamon rolls, regular French Toast with regular syrup or bread pudding as the main course...!
Midwest Madam said:
Interesting.
I am sure you didn't say anything after the fact, I know I wouldn't. It is so odd as we bend over backwards to make sure we meet our guests requirements, not whims, but requirements, if they tell us. But you find, like I did, inns "out there" who do things totally different to most of us on this forum. We are more intuned, I think here, as we share these observances and guest stories.
I have found quite a few who don't mention the diabetic thing. I wish they would! But I understand why. I don't share much, I either eat it or I don't really.
We don't serve too much on the sweet side anymore, other than fruit. I had guests stay with us after another inn about 3 hours from here and they said the entire meal consisted of sweet and bread, every course. I wondered if that innkeeper realized how heavy that was for the guests? They said it was all beautiful food, hand made, and delicious, but too sweet, and too many carbs.
So taking into account guests who stay at an inn or inns consecutively for a few nights in a row, a week or so on a journey, they won't like sweets and breads every day. Taking into account a couple who is at an inn ONCE for a special occasion like an anniversary, they WILL like that. This is another reason I like to know why they are here.
For the couple on an anniversary they may go to an inn only once in their lives, or once every few years, so they love the sweeter stuff. They may only eat out at the McDee's drive through muffins, so it is a special treat for the supe sweet and breads.
So there
regular_smile.gif
ya have it, there is no answer, other than to ask and be mind readers!

No gluten, no dairy, etc. I get all the time. I can not remember the last time I had someone ask for a 'healthy' breakfast. I'm not exaggerating....it's been at least 5-6 years!.
About 5-10 percent ask for healthy. Hubby usually gives them a full breakfast anyway. Fruit course, bread course which may include fruit, and meat with two sides.
We have guests who say they want to eat 'healthy' and I have to wonder WTH that means? What do they want? I have no idea. Makes me crazy when people aren't specific.
We had a bunch of vegans a few weeks ago who went out of our way to cook for but, of course, at dinner they ate what they wanted. Diabetics are another group we have trouble with- some adjust their meds to compensate, some look at me with withering contempt when I put a bowl of fruit in front of them, some say, 'I'm on vacation, I'll eat anything!' How are we supposed to know which kind of diabetic we're getting? I have one who brings her own food. Another who announces her blood count at the table before telling me it's either ok or not to have a pancake.
Lactose intolerant is the same. Some people compensate, others mean they can't drink milk but it's ok cooked in food, others say no dairy products in any form.
Guests have to be more specific if a food will cause them distress. Last year we started pinning guests down during the booking process...'What does that mean in terms of breakfast food?' And, of course, the 'other' person was making the rez so they didn't really know what it meant. We go over it again at check-in.
But we still get the ones who turn the food down at the table. Those who never mentioned a thing about not liking eggs get served eggs. Can't eat bread? You're gonna get pancakes, it's almost a given you're going to get what you can't eat if you don't tell us!

My response:
Midwest Madam said:
Interesting.
I am sure you didn't say anything after the fact, I know I wouldn't. It is so odd as we bend over backwards to make sure we meet our guests requirements, not whims, but requirements, if they tell us. But you find, like I did, inns "out there" who do things totally different to most of us on this forum. We are more intuned, I think here, as we share these observances and guest stories.
I have found quite a few who don't mention the diabetic thing. I wish they would! But I understand why. I don't share much, I either eat it or I don't really.
We don't serve too much on the sweet side anymore, other than fruit. I had guests stay with us after another inn about 3 hours from here and they said the entire meal consisted of sweet and bread, every course. I wondered if that innkeeper realized how heavy that was for the guests? They said it was all beautiful food, hand made, and delicious, but too sweet, and too many carbs.
So taking into account guests who stay at an inn or inns consecutively for a few nights in a row, a week or so on a journey, they won't like sweets and breads every day. Taking into account a couple who is at an inn ONCE for a special occasion like an anniversary, they WILL like that. This is another reason I like to know why they are here.
For the couple on an anniversary they may go to an inn only once in their lives, or once every few years, so they love the sweeter stuff. They may only eat out at the McDee's drive through muffins, so it is a special treat for the supe sweet and breads.
So there
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
But I understand why. I don't share much, I either eat it or I don't really.
See, this bothers me when it happens here. Someone mentions nothing and I set a plate of whatever in front of them. They cut everything into little pieces but never eat it. Did they take a bite and it was awful? Can they not eat it? What?
Then, if I ask, they are put on the spot in front of everyone. Just tell me on the phone or in an email or at check-in. Don't make me feel like I served a plate of dog's dinner!

My response:
Midwest Madam said:
Interesting.
So there
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
See, this bothers me when it happens here. Someone mentions nothing and I set a plate of whatever in front of them. They cut everything into little pieces but never eat it. Did they take a bite and it was awful? Can they not eat it? What?
Then, if I ask, they are put on the spot in front of everyone. Just tell me on the phone or in an email or at check-in. Don't make me feel like I served a plate of dog's dinner!
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I wouldn't cut it up and not eat it, I would leave it, and might tell you I have an allergy or something. I don't and won't go into all of that when I stay at an inn. If they are persistent in asking I will mention it. I am not going to alter the entire inns menu just for me. My prerogative.
I am not into eggs, either. I think you said you aren't. I just won't eat them. Unless cooked a certain way.
But, the inns I have stayed at, other than this forum, NEVER ASK. So it is 6 of one half dozen of another.
If you asked me online I would say it. Simple, easy. But not in person, Not really.

My response:
Midwest Madam said:
Interesting.
So there
regular_smile.gif

I overheard one couple tell another couple at the breakfast table about a certain inn they liked and the reason was the breakfast. I teasingly told them I would interview each of them about the breakfast before they left. One mentioned a certain fruit topping they liked at another inn. The second couple, whose 2nd time it was they stayed with us, said she liked two other dishes I'd served at breakfast better. Hubby wanted to make a practice of prebaking muffing, freezing them and having that standard fare for the second course. On the other hand, when I have a "full house," I like to be a bit more special, since more folks will be eating that dish and I will have fewer leftovers. (recipe makes 10 servings, 6 guests, etc.). I had on hand the ingredients from one of the dishes she mentioned. I surprised her and whipped it up in about 5-10 minutes and presented it to her. She was pleased!

My response:
Midwest Madam said:
Interesting.
So there
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I wouldn't cut it up and not eat it, I would leave it, and might tell you I have an allergy or something. I don't and won't go into all of that when I stay at an inn. If they are persistent in asking I will mention it. I am not going to alter the entire inns menu just for me. My prerogative.
I am not into eggs, either. I think you said you aren't. I just won't eat them. Unless cooked a certain way.
But, the inns I have stayed at, other than this forum, NEVER ASK. So it is 6 of one half dozen of another.
If you asked me online I would say it. Simple, easy. But not in person, Not really.
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Flip it around so it's happening to you. You serve a gorgeous plate of fruit and it goes untouched. You have said how much that irritates you. By not giving the innkeeper a chance to make something you can eat you are putting them in a position of wondering what they did wrong, being upset with you for wasting all that good food and setting them up to wonder what to serve the next day that 'Miss Priss' might deign to eat. (You KNOW we think this way!)
You know we all gripe on here...'They never told us! We could have had a completely different breakfast if they had told us!'
By not mentioning and just leaving the food the guest is controlling and manipulating the situation. In some cases I think the guest is being willful or arrogant when they do that to me. And I know that is not you. We always say we're not mind readers. If you are asked it is really ok to say, 'I am not a fan of eggs for breakfast but I can work around that if you have muffins and other side dishes. Please don't change the menu just for me.'
You know I told the story of the PO's asking us about restrictions and I mentioned that summer squash makes me violently ill and every time we stayed here they served a quiche with summer squash in it. I just handed it off to DH and ate the muffins. And the single tablespoon of chopped up ham. The 3rd time I took it as some sort of joke. They definitely didn't change the menu to suit me!
But, like MM just mentioned, asking for restrictions and then serving plate after plate of sugar to a diabetic makes the guest wonder why did they bother asking.
And I am always thinking, 'Why didn't they just say so?' if someone says after the fact they couldn't eat something. Like that horrid guest we had over the summer who asked if there were bed bugs before she would put her foot in the room and then we served a breakfast of everything she couldn't eat: eggs, white bread, sausage, panna cotta, sugar. Sort of like retribution for the awful way she treated us on arrival.

My response:
Midwest Madam said:
Interesting.
So there
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Flip it around so it's happening to you. You serve a gorgeous plate of fruit and it goes untouched. You have said how much that irritates you. By not giving the innkeeper a chance to make something you can eat you are putting them in a position of wondering what they did wrong, being upset with you for wasting all that good food and setting them up to wonder what to serve the next day that 'Miss Priss' might deign to eat. (You KNOW we think this way!)
You know we all gripe on here...'They never told us! We could have had a completely different breakfast if they had told us!'
By not mentioning and just leaving the food the guest is controlling and manipulating the situation. In some cases I think the guest is being willful or arrogant when they do that to me. And I know that is not you. We always say we're not mind readers. If you are asked it is really ok to say, 'I am not a fan of eggs for breakfast but I can work around that if you have muffins and other side dishes. Please don't change the menu just for me.'
You know I told the story of the PO's asking us about restrictions and I mentioned that summer squash makes me violently ill and every time we stayed here they served a quiche with summer squash in it. I just handed it off to DH and ate the muffins. And the single tablespoon of chopped up ham. The 3rd time I took it as some sort of joke. They definitely didn't change the menu to suit me!
But, like MM just mentioned, asking for restrictions and then serving plate after plate of sugar to a diabetic makes the guest wonder why did they bother asking.
And I am always thinking, 'Why didn't they just say so?' if someone says after the fact they couldn't eat something. Like that horrid guest we had over the summer who asked if there were bed bugs before she would put her foot in the room and then we served a breakfast of everything she couldn't eat: eggs, white bread, sausage, panna cotta, sugar. Sort of like retribution for the awful way she treated us on arrival.
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Ahem, yeah I kinda know this, remember 9 years of serving guests breakfast. I am stating how I am, and why we need to give the guests a little more lee-way perhaps. It is up to them to say or do what they want to do.
I think we may be getting too intimate with our guests. I think we are too dietitian like, and TMI. I will eat or not eat. If I have an allergy, I will eat what I can eat, and carry antihistamine in my pocket (which I do).
I don't want to argue this, it is what it is, some people tell you some don't. I just want to have breakfast with the person I am with and not be stressed over it, not putting the innkeepers out, just relaxing and enjoy whatever, coffee and fruit, whatever.
Please don't compare me to bad guests, you see that is the point, I am NOT a bad guest, just because I don't eat a scrambled eggs or casserole.

Back