Myth #9: Only breakfast is served.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score

Myth #9: Only breakfast is served.

[/b]
Myth #9: Only breakfast is served. Breakfast may be in the name, but there's more to a B&B than the morning meal. Dinners are on the menu at some inns with a minimum night stay or à la carte. If you're looking to plan a romantic retreat, inns such as the Veranda House located in Nantucket, MA, will prepare a gourmet picnic basket and help you pick out a secluded spot to spend the day. from here.

Uh not a myth, what's in a name. Most B&B's are not licensed to serve other meals. Not sure what the percentage is, this should have been a poll maybe.
Do you serve OTHER meals?
Could you serve OTHER meals?

Uh not a myth, what's in a name. Most B&B's are not licensed to serve other meals. Not sure what the percentage is, this should have been a poll maybe.
Could you serve OTHER meals?.
We don't. We can't. We wouldn't if we could. Where would we find the time?

We could if we wanted but I don't - there are 241 eating establishments in the town center (where I am) I am not competing with professional chef's and doing one dinner till 11pm when I want to be in bed to make about a $6 margin!

ditto... ditto... ditto... ditto
regular_smile.gif

ditto... ditto... ditto... ditto
regular_smile.gif

its not just that - its storage, kitchen requirements, permits, food hygine and so on its 6 times as much work for pocket change. when I explain this to people they agree with me - combined with the fact where I am the competition is fierce - wouldn't be worth thinking of!

We can and we do, but with prior reservation and only if it fits in our schedule. We require at least one day notice and fix the menu, then shop for fresh ingredients. We offer to guests arriving on foot (we are on a long distance walking trail called Noaberpad), and we offer to groups that book the complete Inn.

We've made the changes to the kitchen to be able to legally do dinners. They are prix fixed, pre ordered and they've been a great money maker for us. It's because of our location (have to drive 10-15 minutes to nearest restaurant) and the romance of room service.
We have no life outside the b&b anyway since we're stuck here most of the time, so the extra work is worth the extra revenue.

I used to do dinner for registered guests with some packages. have not for a VERY long time and like it that way (my knees LOVE it!). Not worth the effort any longer plus DH does not have the staying power to do up those dishes any longer. I rarely even cook for me!

Back