Naive person wondering - Why are you anonymous?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few members here that are anonymous, in hiding, venting from behind a black curtain. And I've heard a few express a little surprise (for lack of a better word) at the fact that I have all my information out for all to see (though I'm not the only one).
I assume the reason you are on here anonymously is because you want the freedom to bash guests and whine about stuff without it reflecting badly on your Inn. Is that correct? Are there other reasons? I'm wondering if I should be anonymous also...
- Jan Smith
*wink*

I'm here anon because I do want to complain, advise and ask questions without having my inn name show up in association with some of my more vehement posts! (Last thing I need is someone who just got charged for a cancellation see that sometimes I don't charge for whatever reason!)
I used to vent a LOT about guests and I didn't want them finding themselves being vented about!

Pretty harsh words.
When you find that stalker checking in late at night knowing you are alone from everything you have posted on the world wide web and attached your name and inn to it, then you might think differently. Just an example. No one was "bashed" except the stalker in my commentary.

Yes that is the whole point of this forum. We can be anonymous if we want and complain as much as we want about guests etc etc. and they don't know who we are. Some chose to be right out there and that is fine and dandy. Your choice!

Folks can choose to be anon or not on this forum. Some of us do want the freedom to post without it being linked to our property or us personally, but are happy to connect via email with our inn-mates...some don't even want to do that. I personally do not think that most anonymous members of the forum remain anonymous simply to vent their spleen. It is indeed freedom of choice.
regular_smile.gif

I started out on here out in the open. You will find that this site is powerful on google and will show up on searches very quickly for your inn. Do you really want your guests to know the struggles you go through? Do you want them to know about a policy that's not working and they can take advantage of it? It's very possible they will. Most of us know who the regulars are...it happens over time and trust.
I had a "stalker" innkeeper harass me and even call and leave a message. That's when I went undercover. I think using the terms "bash" & "whine" describes what we do here in a very negative light. Sometimes it's the only place we have to vent, because no matter how hard they try, family and friends never really understand what we do as innkeepers and we need other innkeepers sometimes to just say "everything will be ok".

I started out on here out in the open. You will find that this site is powerful on google and will show up on searches very quickly for your inn. Do you really want your guests to know the struggles you go through? Do you want them to know about a policy that's not working and they can take advantage of it? It's very possible they will. Most of us know who the regulars are...it happens over time and trust.
I had a "stalker" innkeeper harass me and even call and leave a message. That's when I went undercover. I think using the terms "bash" & "whine" describes what we do here in a very negative light. Sometimes it's the only place we have to vent, because no matter how hard they try, family and friends never really understand what we do as innkeepers and we need other innkeepers sometimes to just say "everything will be ok"..
Well stated, Diva! I had no idea that you had a "stalker" innkeeper! That's creepy....

I think part of it is guests like to pretend to themselves that we are all fully trained perfect all the time fully experienced people - to the point that they don't want to know we are people and have off days and things go wrong - if they read this it may make them worry what if XYZ happens while they are staying ie its happened before. I chat regularly with people ouside the forum as sometimes you just want someone to say no you aren't thick I don't understand that either or say to people is it just me who has a problem with XYZ and so on. It is a bit different for me as a UK business as most of the people on here are US it makes me harder to find so to speak!

I am "out there" because I do not have enough gray cells to remember to not "out" my anon - and this has been done a few times that one of us has sent an e-mail, You did an oops and better fix it.
We need to be able to vent and this is not a closed society. WE were very shocked the first time an inn-goer posted on here! HER point of view as a guest was interesting at times and helpful - BUT it was a reminder that there could be others lurking behind the curtain.

I am "out there" because I do not have enough gray cells to remember to not "out" my anon - and this has been done a few times that one of us has sent an e-mail, You did an oops and better fix it.
We need to be able to vent and this is not a closed society. WE were very shocked the first time an inn-goer posted on here! HER point of view as a guest was interesting at times and helpful - BUT it was a reminder that there could be others lurking behind the curtain..
Actually a guest of an inn was on here once or twice as well. They called the innkeeper by her "user name"
shades_smile.gif
when they were at her inn.
When I had a guest who I had to pick up the phone to call the police to have her removed, a female and her daughter this past summer, youbetchya I was happy to be able to share the experience online. :) No names, just the terrible experience that had me shaking, crying and nearly throwing up. This forum is a community. It is for innkeepers. It is not for marketing.

We need to be able to vent and this is not a closed society. WE were very shocked the first time an inn-goer posted on here! HER point of view as a guest was interesting at times and helpful - BUT it was a reminder that there could be others lurking behind the curtain..
Actually a guest of an inn was on here once or twice as well. They called the innkeeper by her "user name"
shades_smile.gif
When I had a guest who I had to pick up the phone to call the police to have her removed, a female and her daughter this past summer, youbetchya I was happy to be able to share the experience online. :) No names, just the terrible experience that had me shaking, crying and nearly throwing up. This forum is a community. It is for innkeepers. It is not for marketing.
Absolutely, JB..it's "where innkeepers belong" and they should feel comfortable.
And y'all let some of us former innkeeps hang around, too.
wink_smile.gif

shades_smile.gif
Absolutely, JB..it's "where innkeepers belong" and they should feel comfortable.
And y'all let some of us former innkeeps hang around, too.
wink_smile.gif

Once an innkeeper, always an innkeeper!
poke.gif

I agree, "bash" and "whine" were harsh terms. I enjoy the comeraderie among everyone here and hope to one day be one of the oldtimers who know everyone and can get the inside jokes =) Having a neutral, like-minded atmosphere to trade discussions it very important in any industry.
I think you've convinved me that I should probably go undercover as well. Especially as a new innkkeeper, I don't need any trouble!!!
shades_smile.gif
now to figure out an alias... hhhmmmmm

Ok, I am now K9... It's in reference to my alter-ego =)
I am a Search & Rescue volunteer and am training one of my German Shepherds to track down people by following their scent trail. It's what I do in my spare time when I'm not making breakfast and washing sheets...

I am a Search & Rescue volunteer and am training one of my German Shepherds to track down people by following their scent trail. It's what I do in my spare time when I'm not making breakfast and washing sheets....
In case you need an avatar goo.gl/5smkv

I am a Search & Rescue volunteer and am training one of my German Shepherds to track down people by following their scent trail. It's what I do in my spare time when I'm not making breakfast and washing sheets....
lmao... yeah, that's probably more "me" than the one I was trying to upload. Thanks! =)

lmao... yeah, that's probably more "me" than the one I was trying to upload. Thanks! =)
Big Marvin fan here.... so when I saw the name, it's the first thing that flashed into my mind. Now all I need is the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I'm here anon because I do want to complain, advise and ask questions without having my inn name show up in association with some of my more vehement posts! (Last thing I need is someone who just got charged for a cancellation see that sometimes I don't charge for whatever reason!)
I used to vent a LOT about guests and I didn't want them finding themselves being vented about!.
I am here ananymously because it is the one place I dare to be vulnerable and know that my fellow innkeepers will give me honest feedback without eviscerating my ego. Or at least I hope they won't. But I certainly do not want my guests knowing my tender parts, nor do I trust that the lurkers won't use some of my comments against me. That is why I am silverspoon, not Jane Doe, the innkeeper at XYZ B+B. This World Wide Web is great, but it's no place to be vulnerable in front of strangers. The hairs on the back of my neck were raised by some of experiences shared here...stalkers? Yikes! Although I have only been here for a few months, I feel at home and know that if I need to vent, ask for advice or share an honest opinion, there will be a fellow inn keeper ear for my thoughts.
Perhaps in time I will share my identity, privately, with other members. For now, it feels OK to just be anonymous.

I used to vent a LOT about guests and I didn't want them finding themselves being vented about!.
I am here ananymously because it is the one place I dare to be vulnerable and know that my fellow innkeepers will give me honest feedback without eviscerating my ego. Or at least I hope they won't. But I certainly do not want my guests knowing my tender parts, nor do I trust that the lurkers won't use some of my comments against me. That is why I am silverspoon, not Jane Doe, the innkeeper at XYZ B+B. This World Wide Web is great, but it's no place to be vulnerable in front of strangers. The hairs on the back of my neck were raised by some of experiences shared here...stalkers? Yikes! Although I have only been here for a few months, I feel at home and know that if I need to vent, ask for advice or share an honest opinion, there will be a fellow inn keeper ear for my thoughts.
Perhaps in time I will share my identity, privately, with other members. For now, it feels OK to just be anonymous.
Silverspoon said:
Too many of us are sleuths and can figure out from bits and pieces where a forum member is/B&B/inn. :) But not all hide our ID here some share plenty to piece it together, with blog links etc, but just don't have our name and url on our user tag.

Big Marvin fan here.... so when I saw the name, it's the first thing that flashed into my mind. Now all I need is the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Big Marvin fan here.... so when I saw the name...
Big Doctor Who fan here.... so when I saw the name, here is what I thought of:
page1_blog_entry33_1.jpg

Back