Name on credit card doesn't match guest name

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
This was asked before and I can't find it now. What do you do when someone makes a reservation for themselves using someone else's cc? The person whose name is on the cc will not be here. Is it valid for anyone to sign the cc receipt if they have the cc in their hand?
If the owner of the card decides they didn't authorize this payment I'm out the money aren't I because the name on the card didn't match who showed up with it?
What would you do if the person showed up without the cc in hand and said, 'Just charge it to the number I gave you?'
Or, would you just run the whole thing in advance so the owner of the card has a chance to fight it before you've lost the nights?
I tried emailing but the email bounced back. No one answered the phone, either.

A lot of the cc regs have changed, and still anyone can "technically" use anyone's card, you can ask for a fax of front / back and a signed auth but it does not mean the charge will bounce back, which as we all know happens even when the name matches. It is also no different from when someone purchases a GC for someone else, or someone using a corp cc
My recommendation anytime you have that situation is to run it through as an advance deposit for the full amount.

Oh and ps remember that if you don't actually swipe the card, whether or not you have the CVV, you will be charged the "card not present rate"

Back