Naming Names

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weaver

Reaction score
I put this in "Inn the Guestrooms" since this is specifically about naming guest rooms.
Not wanting to jinx anything but... I am trying not to go insane while waiting not so patiently for my next meeting with my investor. I am down to the short strokes on my acqusition proposal. The property I have settled on has a log cabin that was built by a very famous person who's name figures prominately in western wear. I can use his name on the cabin (since he in fact did build it and his initials are visible), but not the property since they supposedly (attorney is verifying) hold a trademark for lodging.
The property currently grazes a neighboring farmer's long horn cattle, the three cottages/cabins have a decidedly western feel to them. So I am going to exploit capitalize on that old west, sit a spell (thanks to JB and her beautiful porch), relax on the ranch theme.
I wanted to use character names from famous western movies (having a DVD of that movie in each cabin) or something along those lines. So just like when I can use my degree in design to decorate someone else's home, and I can't decide on a paint color for my own bedroom, I can't decide on names. I won't sway you beyond that. I am open as long as it has a western theme, and it DOES NOT have anything to do with a famous hat maker who's last name starts with S.
So pull on your boots and strap on your six shooters pardners and take aim at the best names.

Colt and Peacemaker came to mind immediately with your six-shooter.
Just in from Chapel and need to go to bed. It is Midnight (Tony came in early thank goodness) and i have a 6 AM breakfast.

Just in from Chapel and need to go to bed. It is Midnight (Tony came in early thank goodness) and i have a 6 AM breakfast..
gillumhouse said:
Ahhh....good one!

Guests are breakfasting and I am out of the way. They want on the road - not chatter.
OK, Names:
Mustang Round-up Drovers Buffalo pick an Indian tribe Tombstone Dodge Abilene Blazing Saddles Buffalo Bill Annie Oakley

Weaver said:
I am open as long as it has a western theme, and it DOES NOT have anything to do with a famous hat maker who's last name starts with S.
Like we couldn't have guessed that one.
wink_smile.gif

Gotta have an Annie Oakley room. Wild Bill. What Native Americans lived near there? Come up with some of those, too.

If you aren't in Deadwood I would not go wildwest. This is like sharing baby names, you know that already right? You will be getting people who hate the name Jordan and Paul and Patricia.
If it is cattle, and ranch and porch I would make it a cattle and ranch and porch theme, not a tumblewood theme. Just my 2 cents.

Yes those are great ones. No I am not going Deadwood Wild West just a subtle theme of old west, fancy parlors, stone fireplaces, that sort of thing.
Every guest that has stayed at the property or held a wedding there previously has commented on how they feel like they are out west with the long horn cattle just the other side of the fence, the open rolling pastures, and the river that cuts through the valley making up part of the property line.
So with that said I want to evoke a very subtle feeling without beating the guests over their heads with it. Keep 'em coming.

Yes those are great ones. No I am not going Deadwood Wild West just a subtle theme of old west, fancy parlors, stone fireplaces, that sort of thing.
Every guest that has stayed at the property or held a wedding there previously has commented on how they feel like they are out west with the long horn cattle just the other side of the fence, the open rolling pastures, and the river that cuts through the valley making up part of the property line.
So with that said I want to evoke a very subtle feeling without beating the guests over their heads with it. Keep 'em coming..
Weaver said:
So with that said I want to evoke a very subtle feeling without beating the guests over their heads with it. Keep 'em coming.
Okay so then when you said western movies everyone immediately thought WILD WEST. That was my point, it ain't west. Now James Stewart was in Shenandoah.
MV5BMTIwNTUyODkyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE4NzYyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Weaver said:
I am open as long as it has a western theme, and it DOES NOT have anything to do with a famous hat maker who's last name starts with S.
wink_smile.gif

Gotta have an Annie Oakley room. Wild Bill. What Native Americans lived near there? Come up with some of those, too..
BTW did you know Annie Oakley was from Indiana? I used to drive past her childhood home.

Weaver said:
wink_smile.gif

Gotta have an Annie Oakley room. Wild Bill. What Native Americans lived near there? Come up with some of those, too..
BTW did you know Annie Oakley was from Indiana? I used to drive past her childhood home.
white pine said:
So if you are in Indiana name a room Annie Oakley, athough I have always heard she was from OHIO.
Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show was in a train wreck enroute to Danville VA. (For the local connection to all of this) :)
This became the financial ruin of Buffalo Bill Cody.
Yes they did tour the east, for sure, but this is not what you think of as the wild west. Not Wyoming, or Nebraska.
I love all this stuff. SHOOT 'EM UP!

How many rooms? I love place with fun room names!
Cows: Hereford, Angus, Charolais, Long Horn, Short Horn, Jersey, Holstein, etc.
Actors: Eastwood, Wayne, West, etc.
Real People: Oakley, Hickock (sp?), Earp, Custer, Boone, Sitting Bull, etc.
I like that my rooms all have different first letters. It makes it easier to abbreviate them (MD/ED/AD/HD). Just something to keep in mind...
And I wholeheartedly agree that you have to go with what is right for YOUR house. I know of a farmhouse to rent in Amish country... with modern, city decor. It just doesn't feel right. If your house is country, go country. If you don't like country decor, buy a different house!
=)
Kk.

Weaver said:
wink_smile.gif

white pine said:
So if you are in Indiana name a room Annie Oakley, athough I have always heard she was from OHIO.
Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show was in a train wreck enroute to Danville VA. (For the local connection to all of this) :)
This became the financial ruin of Buffalo Bill Cody.
Yes they did tour the east, for sure, but this is not what you think of as the wild west. Not Wyoming, or Nebraska.
I love all this stuff. SHOOT 'EM UP!
Annie Oakley was born and died in Ohio. Sorry Indiana, but it is easy to see why the confusion - Darke County, Ohio is on the Indiana border,
Back to the task at hand - Stagecoach Chuckwagon Cherokee Happy Trails
Longhorn Lily Langtree Miss Kitty Remington Hawkins (rifle used by Lewis & Clark) Bluebonnet Sagebrush Yellow Rose

What is everyone's opinion on mixing it up?
Maybe some cattle names, such as Angus and Charolais - as both will be on the property as well as Longhorns.
Miss Kitty was on the list but for different reasons, my mother's name is Kitty.
I have always been a big John Wayne fan but for some very different reasons, I used to ride a horse he bought for his son Ethan, and he (Ethan) and the horse never got along - or so the story goes, anyway I rode him and we got a long just fine.
First rifle I ever fired was a muzzle loader can't remember what it was, my brother is a collector and he had just finished restoring it.
The place has a history and to ignore that would be foolish, no modern furnishings in an Amish Farm House!

herterrd01.jpg

This is one of the existing buildings.
Sweet! We have to worry about powder post beetle, is that a problem there?
white pine said:
Sweet! We have to worry about powder post beetle, is that a problem there?
As far as I know not any longer. The buildings were meticulously restored/renovated abut 3 years ago and no evidence was found, the contractor thinks the logs had been treated with borate so the beetles would leave them alone.

I like that my rooms all have different first letters. It makes it easier to abbreviate them (MD/ED/AD/HD). Just something to keep in mind...
And I wholeheartedly agree that you have to go with what is right for YOUR house. I know of a farmhouse to rent in Amish country... with modern, city decor. It just doesn't feel right. If your house is country, go country. If you don't like country decor, buy a different house!
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Right now it has three cabin/cottages. One original log, one 1800s cedar, and one early 1900s small ranch style house. As of this moment it will be 5 bedrooms but rented as three units. The barn will be renovated as well - it is 60 x 100 ft so it will be pretty cool along with the two huge silos.

What is everyone's opinion on mixing it up?
Maybe some cattle names, such as Angus and Charolais - as both will be on the property as well as Longhorns.
Miss Kitty was on the list but for different reasons, my mother's name is Kitty.
I have always been a big John Wayne fan but for some very different reasons, I used to ride a horse he bought for his son Ethan, and he (Ethan) and the horse never got along - or so the story goes, anyway I rode him and we got a long just fine.
First rifle I ever fired was a muzzle loader can't remember what it was, my brother is a collector and he had just finished restoring it.
The place has a history and to ignore that would be foolish, no modern furnishings in an Amish Farm House!.
Please don't name the rooms after animals. I don't like "cutesy" names or theme rooms. You will have to explain it to someone. If you want to do that all the time..then go for it.Who is going to be your target market?

I will say this I am partial to Winchester.
I had originally thought about going with (my former) horse names, with the exception of one or two and you are involved with Quarter Horses you would never get it. I don't know about making the name of a room an inside joke for me.
There is an old Indian cave on the property as well, so some Indian names and of course artifacts would also work. VERY Subtle naturally.

Back