Naming the Bed and Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
It is time for me to start to get the name of my B&B. Any ideals as far as dos and don'ts?

Target market - sophisticated sports person (fishing and hunting). And hoping to cash in on romantic also!

Love to help but you will need some line breaks in that list of names...

Do NOT name your B&B Buck and Duck... think drinking game called "Fuzzy Duck."
Then again, maybe you do wan to name it that...
=)
Kk.

Love to help but you will need some line breaks in that list of names....
Sorry about that
Lodge at Mark Twain Lake
Coyote Hill Bed and Breakfast
Bass and Buck Lodge at Mark Twain Lake
Mark Twain Lake Bed and Breakfast
Bass and Buck Bed and Breakfast
Buck and Duck Bed and Breakfast
Bunk House Bed and Breakfast

Sorry about that
Lodge at Mark Twain Lake
I like the first best - Lodge at Mark Twain Lake.
Good for SEO with the lake name in it. Lodge gives a more rustic feel than B&B (imho) for the hunting and fishing crowd but still connotes the potential for luxury and romance (unlike say, camp). Just FYI, there is a Mark Twain Lodge already in Tahoe. If you want to use the animal names, just use one - Bass Lodge at Mark Twain Lake or Buck Lodge at Mark Twain Lake - the 'and' makes it sound too cutesy (again, just my opinion). Bunk House B&B won't speak to the upscale crowd, to me.

Keeping your region and your market in the name is good. So "Mark Twain Lake" is good and so is Buck and Duck ..though I might suggest Deer and Duck to avoid YellowSock's name game ;)
The Lodge vs B&B is an interesting one. If you are catering mainly to hunters and fishers without their wives, I would lean toward "Lodge". If you are hoping to cater to hunters and fishers with their wives, I would lean toward "Bed and Breakfast" No scratchin, belchin manly man wants to tell his buddies he is going to a B&B. But a more sophisticated man who is in the company of a good woman will be able to use B&B as a selling feature. When you pick one, be sure to work the other into the text of your marketing several times.
Keep in mind as we've said before, it is hard to be all things to all people, so you have to decide a bit. It is hard to be the place that totally caters to hunters (with deer hanging in the side yard or fishing coolers positioned near the entrance) and at the same time try to make it a nice place for romance. Those two things may be incongruous. However if you want to merge them, you can..you just have to work hard to do it....come up with things for the non-hunting significant other to do ... find ways to keep the blood and guts invisible. Have places to store the guests firearms and equipment that is not in the guestroom.... and other things like that.

Keeping your region and your market in the name is good. So "Mark Twain Lake" is good and so is Buck and Duck ..though I might suggest Deer and Duck to avoid YellowSock's name game ;)
The Lodge vs B&B is an interesting one. If you are catering mainly to hunters and fishers without their wives, I would lean toward "Lodge". If you are hoping to cater to hunters and fishers with their wives, I would lean toward "Bed and Breakfast" No scratchin, belchin manly man wants to tell his buddies he is going to a B&B. But a more sophisticated man who is in the company of a good woman will be able to use B&B as a selling feature. When you pick one, be sure to work the other into the text of your marketing several times.
Keep in mind as we've said before, it is hard to be all things to all people, so you have to decide a bit. It is hard to be the place that totally caters to hunters (with deer hanging in the side yard or fishing coolers positioned near the entrance) and at the same time try to make it a nice place for romance. Those two things may be incongruous. However if you want to merge them, you can..you just have to work hard to do it....come up with things for the non-hunting significant other to do ... find ways to keep the blood and guts invisible. Have places to store the guests firearms and equipment that is not in the guestroom.... and other things like that..
Let me tell you alittle about the place, we have 5.2 acres We are building a house with a loft and that will be the only bedroom in the house used for the B&B. (Other then our space) In the very near future we will add another building with 3 bedroom.
Got to go quitin time! LOL
Thanks

Keep in mind as we've said before, it is hard to be all things to all people, so you have to decide a bit. It is hard to be the place that totally caters to hunters (with deer hanging in the side yard or fishing coolers positioned near the entrance) and at the same time try to make it a nice place for romance. Those two things may be incongruous. However if you want to merge them, you can..you just have to work hard to do it....come up with things for the non-hunting significant other to do ... find ways to keep the blood and guts invisible. Have places to store the guests firearms and equipment that is not in the guestroom.... and other things like that..
Let me tell you alittle about the place, we have 5.2 acres We are building a house with a loft and that will be the only bedroom in the house used for the B&B. (Other then our space) In the very near future we will add another building with 3 bedroom.
Thanks
Oh then you could pull off both....the B&B in the loft and the Lodge out in the other building.

Thanks
just do what you're doing ...
brainstorm until a name fits
but you can't be all things to all people and you can't cram everything in one name ...
p.s. i am NOT a fan of '....person' .... instead of '....man'

swirt said:
I don't like to quibble with the master, but Lodge to me smacks of English mansions with servants who help hold your horse for mount and take the pheasants off to de-feather and cook them for supper. Upscale and potentially romantic - wouldn't Isak Dineson be hanging out in a lodge in Africa?
If B&B is too frou-frou, you might go with Inn - it can appeal to both genders. It does have the problem of not being specific enough about what's included.
Whatever you do, the results of the hunting and fishing have to be taken care of away from the main lodging or else you become a hunting camp.

Sorry about that
Lodge at Mark Twain Lake
I like the first one best, too. Bunk House sounds more Texas or cowboy like to me :)
I don't like the other ones if you're trying to appeal at all to folks for a romantic getaway. They would work fine for your sportsman group.

Target market - sophisticated sports person (fishing and hunting). And hoping to cash in on romantic also!
[/quote]
Somehow my quote didn't work. SPORTS PERSON is not what you call someone who goes Hunting and Fishing. That is OUTDOORSMAN. An outdoor enthusiasts and conservationist. Many other terms if you do some lookups.
What will the rooms be like? That would help define the place.
Have you looked to see what avaiable URL's for these names? That might help you determine which works better.
The longer the name the more expensive - on everything. Also the more you have to write it out and have people mispronounce it as well. Just altogether more difficult in the end.
My opinion is if it can have the LOCATION in the name that will be one up on the competition, and easier for guests to remember. Inn at Mark Twain Lake.
Beginning ALPHA and NUMERIC also puts you ahead of everyone else.
I would be concerned about a rhyming name that could be used or said lewdly as in the one from the last. That could put off certain ladies who want to book it, or achieve an undesired nickname in the community. Nuff said.
MTL B&B can be abbreviated nicely for print and logos. Is there some sort of copyright on Mark Twain tho? Have you checked?
Bunk house - is it a bunk house for real or a lodge? Bunk House means stinky socks and levi's with guys spittin and chewin.

swirt said:
I don't like to quibble with the master, but Lodge to me smacks of English mansions with servants who help hold your horse for mount and take the pheasants off to de-feather and cook them for supper. Upscale and potentially romantic - wouldn't Isak Dineson be hanging out in a lodge in Africa?
If B&B is too frou-frou, you might go with Inn - it can appeal to both genders. It does have the problem of not being specific enough about what's included.
Whatever you do, the results of the hunting and fishing have to be taken care of away from the main lodging or else you become a hunting camp.
Might be a regional connotation. Lodge here typically means bare bones, come one come all.

Coyote Hill is the name of a Childrens home just north of us. I don't think it would be a good name for your B&B.
Just thought you'd want to know.

Sorry about that
Lodge at Mark Twain Lake
Lodge at Mark Twain Lake. But it has to be 'lodge-y'. In this neck of the woods, that means plaid and cedar posts and log cabins. Animal heads on the walls, that sort of stuff.

Sorry about that
Lodge at Mark Twain Lake
Lodge at Mark Twain Lake. But it has to be 'lodge-y'. In this neck of the woods, that means plaid and cedar posts and log cabins. Animal heads on the walls, that sort of stuff.
Bree said:
This is very interesting.
What does each person here imagine or invision when you hear the word lodge?
I will say:
Riverrock fireplace, exposed wood beam ceiling, rustic, bacon frying,flannel sheets, men in flannel, etc.
I have stayed at a few and that is what comes to mind. Or SKI LODGE - ie dorm type bunk house with a common room and common kitchen - shared bathrooms/showers.
Then there are a few upscale lodges - but they are very large and market themselves well. On a cliff or precipice overlooking a river, or gorge, or ocean.
The best smoked salmon chowder I ever had was at Kalaloch Lodge on the rugged Washington state coastline. Foggy, rough, cold, fireplaces, hot food. They picked the one non-foggy sunny day to take their pics.

Sorry about that
Lodge at Mark Twain Lake
Bree said:
This is very interesting.
What does each person here imagine or invision when you hear the word lodge?
I will say:
Riverrock fireplace, exposed wood beam ceiling, rustic, bacon frying,flannel sheets, men in flannel, etc.
I have stayed at a few and that is what comes to mind. Or SKI LODGE - ie dorm type bunk house with a common room and common kitchen - shared bathrooms/showers.
Then there are a few upscale lodges - but they are very large and market themselves well. On a cliff or precipice overlooking a river, or gorge, or ocean.
The best smoked salmon chowder I ever had was at Kalaloch Lodge on the rugged Washington state coastline. Foggy, rough, cold, fireplaces, hot food. They picked the one non-foggy sunny day to take their pics.
It seems "Lodge" is as amorphous a definition as B&B ;)

Coyote Hill is the name of a Childrens home just north of us. I don't think it would be a good name for your B&B.
Just thought you'd want to know..
Inn at Mark Twin Lake sounds both outdoorsy and romantic to me. It has a nice flow to it also. Just my opinion but the other names you suggested are kind of choppy and easily forgotten.
Good luck with your B&B plans, it sounds wonderful. You will know when you finally come up with the right name.
AdaBWeeks

Back