Naming your breakfasts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you give your breakfast entrees a catchy name? (I know Tipsy does!) If you do, what sorts of things do you come up with?

No, why add confusion for the guests. Tell it like it is in my opinion.

Sometimes you have to name it because the explanation is too non-descript wierd...That's why we go with "Dutch Babies" instead of "buttery velvety boat shaped concoction." ;)
Though once I was reading through a B&B cookbook and was totally turned off by "Toad in the hole"
barf.gif
.... so as with all things, you have to be careful and use good judgement. :)

Explanation...not a name that makes the guest scratch head. A name that engenders anticipation...
So, instead of 'french toast' you call it 'very berry french toast' which enlightens the guest while alerting them that berries are in their future, now is the time to say they are allergic!
I think our breakfasts sound boring even tho in reality they are not. I'm trying to liven things up.

Sometimes you have to name it because the explanation is too non-descript wierd...That's why we go with "Dutch Babies" instead of "buttery velvety boat shaped concoction." ;)
Though once I was reading through a B&B cookbook and was totally turned off by "Toad in the hole"
barf.gif
.... so as with all things, you have to be careful and use good judgement. :).
Now see, 'dutch babies' would really make me wonder...

barf.gif
.... so as with all things, you have to be careful and use good judgement. :).
Now see, 'dutch babies' would really make me wonder...
Well maybe a bit of explanation in this case..but I don't think I would go renaming everything I served to guests just to make it sound cutesy.

Explanation...not a name that makes the guest scratch head. A name that engenders anticipation...
So, instead of 'french toast' you call it 'very berry french toast' which enlightens the guest while alerting them that berries are in their future, now is the time to say they are allergic!
I think our breakfasts sound boring even tho in reality they are not. I'm trying to liven things up..
Instead of getting cutesy, try putting the emphasis on things like "fresh" "home made", "from scratch".

Are you asking what you would put up on a menu board? or verbal. For two weeks I put the breakfast up on the board in the dining room. Always waiting for some guest to say "Is that what we're having today? I don't want it, just gimme toast" So I discontinued it.
I would put up a flowery description of the item "Fresh Pecan Pancakes with homemade apple butter and link sausage..." etc. Like you would read on a menu.

Are you asking what you would put up on a menu board? or verbal. For two weeks I put the breakfast up on the board in the dining room. Always waiting for some guest to say "Is that what we're having today? I don't want it, just gimme toast" So I discontinued it.
I would put up a flowery description of the item "Fresh Pecan Pancakes with homemade apple butter and link sausage..." etc. Like you would read on a menu..
Fresh Pecan Pancakes with homemade apple butter and link sausage.
That is not what I consider a "flowery description"....this is just what I want to know...well maybe you don't have to add the FRESH....I would hope they were :)

In my area, we're very conscious of our connection to the local organic farmers. They're small farms and we know them by name.
So many of the restaurants and inns here give them mention on the menu. It's a win-win for everyone.
It not only creates that same connection to the place for the guests, but if you have a sample menu online it also gives you some new keywords for your local area that bring more hits to your site.
Whose farm fresh eggs are those? Where do the berries come from? Is the coffee fair trade?
More and more guests like to know these things. And your local farmers will love you for it, too.

I would put up a flowery description of the item "Fresh Pecan Pancakes with homemade apple butter and link sausage..." etc. Like you would read on a menu..
That is not what I consider a "flowery description"....this is just what I want to know...well maybe you don't have to add the FRESH....I would hope they were :)
catlady said:
Sorry I was doing two things as I typed that...Flowery not too flowery, just "enhanced" names of dishes. We shall say, add an adjective in before each item, something mouth watering. "Melt in your mouth blueberry pancakes" you get my drift.

In my area, we're very conscious of our connection to the local organic farmers. They're small farms and we know them by name.
So many of the restaurants and inns here give them mention on the menu. It's a win-win for everyone.
It not only creates that same connection to the place for the guests, but if you have a sample menu online it also gives you some new keywords for your local area that bring more hits to your site.
Whose farm fresh eggs are those? Where do the berries come from? Is the coffee fair trade?
More and more guests like to know these things. And your local farmers will love you for it, too..
INKPToGo - that is another thing I will add re locally grown products. If they were I would add that. But like I said, I stopped doing it. I do it every once in a while but am hesitant.
Speaking of non locally grown - don't get me started on my starfruit debacle. If you don't tell them it is edible they won't try it, even then, they might not try it! I used them for Veteran's week and only one room tried them and ate them. :) I was sad to throw them away, but they sure looked great on the plates!!

More and more guests like to know these things. And your local farmers will love you for it, too..
We just use local suppliers and give them credit on the menu. We love to tell the folks who get the double yolkers that "Gemma" was the chicken who delivered the goods.

INKPToGo - that is another thing I will add re locally grown products. If they were I would add that. But like I said, I stopped doing it. I do it every once in a while but am hesitant.
Speaking of non locally grown - don't get me started on my starfruit debacle. If you don't tell them it is edible they won't try it, even then, they might not try it! I used them for Veteran's week and only one room tried them and ate them. :) I was sad to throw them away, but they sure looked great on the plates!!
Hehehe. Yeah, the starfruit seems to scare the daylights out of them every time. At least they do make lovely garnish, even if the guests just don't seem to know what the hell those things are.

Ahhhh - just back from a two week vacation to the old country :) Our first in 5 years.
I have an obsession with alliteration and many of my "names" reflect that .... ie my Potentially Perfectly Poached Pears or my Terrifically Tangy Tipsy Toast. I like to have fun with whatever I do.

I think our breakfasts sound boring even tho in reality they are not. I'm trying to liven things up..
Instead of getting cutesy, try putting the emphasis on things like "fresh" "home made", "from scratch".
InnsiderInfo said:
'From scratch'. As if. Seriously. And at this time of year, there is no such thing as 'fresh' in these parts, it's all out of a jar or trucked 3000.

Ahhhh - just back from a two week vacation to the old country :) Our first in 5 years.
I have an obsession with alliteration and many of my "names" reflect that .... ie my Potentially Perfectly Poached Pears or my Terrifically Tangy Tipsy Toast. I like to have fun with whatever I do..
Ah, there you are! I knew this would bring you out! Welcome home!

Yes, on the menu board. That way overnights can read it when they wander thru. Also will help us remember what we're calling the brekkie.

InnsiderInfo said:
'From scratch'. As if. Seriously. And at this time of year, there is no such thing as 'fresh' in these parts, it's all out of a jar or trucked 3000.
Fresh from the kitchen!

Back