NaNoWriMo, anyone?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NaNo begins! I'm all settled in with wine & cookies. And obviously procrastinating already....
Can we count the words typed here?
or here?
or here?
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

Did you ever see or read 'The Shining'? He sits at the typewriter and all he writes is 'All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.' At first. Then it's just Redrum over and over.
Bree said:
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

Did you ever see or read 'The Shining'? He sits at the typewriter and all he writes is 'All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.' At first. Then it's just Redrum over and over.
I have a story about that! When I was in high school, I worked in the housekeeping department of a local hotel, and the manager was reading that book. She told me I HAD to read it, but wouldn't tell me what it was about. So I read it. It was the first scary book I'd ever read, and my imagination went wild, especially since I was working in a hotel. The book was influenced by my hometown, and there are references to many things and places that were real, so it was easy to get swept up into it. My job at the hotel was to do the laundry, and then double-check the cleaned rooms. Our policy was to put two sets of eyes on every room to assure it was "up to snuff". I can tell you that for a time it became very nerve wracking to open a door that I did not expect to find closed!
About the time we were reading this book, someone booked two rooms for over a month, and our instructions were that no cleaning would be necessary during the duration of the stay. HUH? There was a LOT of speculation about what was going on in those rooms, and finally a couple of us couldn't stand it anymore and went in. The rooms were FILLED with all kinds of equipment, mostly photographic. Spread out on every horizontal surface were hundreds of photographs of people and places from all around our area. It finally started to dawn on me that the rooms had been booked by location scouts, and based on the pictures we found, they were scouting for The Shining! The part of the Overlook Hotel was played by the Stanley Hotel, which is about 30 miles from where we were. Two of my cousins had their wedding receptions there.
Ok, now MY story about The Shining...I saw it at the drive in, on a dark and stormy night (really). We were staying with friends who were caretakers of this mansion in NY. There was no room in the caretakers' house so we were going to stay in the Piggery. Really, it used to be a piggery but was turned into a rather fancy club where members could come to stay and hunt.
So, here we are, in the dark in this very long building with rooms on either side of the hallway. The 'big wigs' had ensuite rooms but we were given one of the 'dorm-style' rooms where you had to use the 'gym-style' bathrooms down the hall.
Yeah, so picture it. It's dark, it's raining, the thunder is pounding, lightning is flashing and I have to pee. I have to leave the room, go down the hall and into this huge, dark bathroom with all these shower cubicles WITH CURTAINS on them. Holy cow. I don't think I have ever been that scared in my life.
Seriously loooooooong hallway, with all these doors. Big, white-tiled bathroom, shower curtains billowing because of the draft from me opening the door. And I'm supposed to go in there and pee? Ye gods and little fishes.
Have I ever mentioned going to a talk given by Stephen King? Here's a guy you wouldn't want to run into in a dark alley. He's gaunt. His hair is all over the place. He makes the hair stand up on your neck by talking in the most natural voice in the world about how the most natural things in the world turn really bad really quickly.
I had never had the hair stand up on my neck before. It really DOES happen.
So, when you opened the bathroom door and saw all those shower curtains billowing, did you really need to go in there to pee anymore, or had that need resolved itself already?

NaNo begins! I'm all settled in with wine & cookies. And obviously procrastinating already....
or here?
or here?
I'm trying to add you as a writing buddy but the website is pretty busy right now and it keeps timing out.
I haven't been able to figure out how to add writing buddies yet. It says to visit their profiles (or something like that), but I don't see how to access them. I'll have to go poke around some more.

or here?
or here?
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

I have a story about that! When I was in high school, I worked in the housekeeping department of a local hotel, and the manager was reading that book. She told me I HAD to read it, but wouldn't tell me what it was about. So I read it. It was the first scary book I'd ever read, and my imagination went wild, especially since I was working in a hotel. The book was influenced by my hometown, and there are references to many things and places that were real, so it was easy to get swept up into it. My job at the hotel was to do the laundry, and then double-check the cleaned rooms. Our policy was to put two sets of eyes on every room to assure it was "up to snuff". I can tell you that for a time it became very nerve wracking to open a door that I did not expect to find closed!
About the time we were reading this book, someone booked two rooms for over a month, and our instructions were that no cleaning would be necessary during the duration of the stay. HUH? There was a LOT of speculation about what was going on in those rooms, and finally a couple of us couldn't stand it anymore and went in. The rooms were FILLED with all kinds of equipment, mostly photographic. Spread out on every horizontal surface were hundreds of photographs of people and places from all around our area. It finally started to dawn on me that the rooms had been booked by location scouts, and based on the pictures we found, they were scouting for The Shining! The part of the Overlook Hotel was played by the Stanley Hotel, which is about 30 miles from where we were. Two of my cousins had their wedding receptions there.
Ok, now MY story about The Shining...I saw it at the drive in, on a dark and stormy night (really). We were staying with friends who were caretakers of this mansion in NY. There was no room in the caretakers' house so we were going to stay in the Piggery. Really, it used to be a piggery but was turned into a rather fancy club where members could come to stay and hunt.
So, here we are, in the dark in this very long building with rooms on either side of the hallway. The 'big wigs' had ensuite rooms but we were given one of the 'dorm-style' rooms where you had to use the 'gym-style' bathrooms down the hall.
Yeah, so picture it. It's dark, it's raining, the thunder is pounding, lightning is flashing and I have to pee. I have to leave the room, go down the hall and into this huge, dark bathroom with all these shower cubicles WITH CURTAINS on them. Holy cow. I don't think I have ever been that scared in my life.
Seriously loooooooong hallway, with all these doors. Big, white-tiled bathroom, shower curtains billowing because of the draft from me opening the door. And I'm supposed to go in there and pee? Ye gods and little fishes.
Have I ever mentioned going to a talk given by Stephen King? Here's a guy you wouldn't want to run into in a dark alley. He's gaunt. His hair is all over the place. He makes the hair stand up on your neck by talking in the most natural voice in the world about how the most natural things in the world turn really bad really quickly.
I had never had the hair stand up on my neck before. It really DOES happen.
So, when you opened the bathroom door and saw all those shower curtains billowing, did you really need to go in there to pee anymore, or had that need resolved itself already?
When ya gotta go, ya gotta go...
Oh, wait, I just realized what you meant.
wink_smile.gif

Okay, I'm in. I never heard of it til you mentioned it.
The part that got me was step four telling me that I could eat lots of chocolate!!!.
penelope said:
The part that got me was step four telling me that I could eat lots of chocolate!!!
Did I mention my inner author lives on chocolate? Much the same way a koala bear has a diet consisting soley of eucalyptus leaves.
Uh-oh. It's sounding more and more like I'm in too.
happyjacks said:
penelope said:
The part that got me was step four telling me that I could eat lots of chocolate!!!
Did I mention my inner author lives on chocolate? Much the same way a koala bear has a diet consisting soley of eucalyptus leaves.
Uh-oh. It's sounding more and more like I'm in too.
I feel very foolish for attempting this. I think I might need to buy more chocolate to work thru my issues with this. Thankfully, I can get Halloween candy 1/2 off for the next few days. I need to stock up... Sweet tea and chocolate. I am not sure I'll be able to sleep all of Nov.

How long will the NaNo site be clogged. I would like to poke around a little and maybe find some of you over there, but it keeps kicking me off.
confused_smile.gif

How long will the NaNo site be clogged. I would like to poke around a little and maybe find some of you over there, but it keeps kicking me off.
confused_smile.gif
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
It will clear up in another day or two. You know it's better when the "authors" button appears on the navigation bar.
=)
Kk.

confused_smile.gif
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
It will clear up in another day or two. You know it's better when the "authors" button appears on the navigation bar.
=)
Kk.
Thanks.
Bree, how is your procrastination going??? :)

confused_smile.gif
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Thanks.
penelope said:
Thanks.
Quite well, thanks! Family is visiting. Flat Stanley needs a new blog post. Altho I did post 1300+ words the first night. And I got the chapter out of the way that has been bothering me. Altho, I created another problem by killing someone off in a foreign country. Not sure how that's going to work out...

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!! I can't stop writing. I have to homeschool my children today and I literally can't stop writing. I am afraid I am going to miss something in my head !
confused_smile.gif

confused_smile.gif
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Thanks.
penelope said:
Thanks.
Quite well, thanks! Family is visiting. Flat Stanley needs a new blog post. Altho I did post 1300+ words the first night. And I got the chapter out of the way that has been bothering me. Altho, I created another problem by killing someone off in a foreign country. Not sure how that's going to work out...
Bree said:
Altho, I created another problem by killing someone off in a foreign country. Not sure how that's going to work out...

I hate it when that happens!!!;)

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!! I can't stop writing. I have to homeschool my children today and I literally can't stop writing. I am afraid I am going to miss something in my head !
confused_smile.gif
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
Guess what? The kids won't die because they miss a day of school. Have them sit down and write along with you.

confused_smile.gif
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
Guess what? The kids won't die because they miss a day of school. Have them sit down and write along with you.
Bree said:
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
You are a genius!!! Great idea.

confused_smile.gif
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
Bree said:
penelope said:
confused_smile.gif
You are a genius!!! Great idea.
Gotta run...the voices in my head are getting louder!

Back